WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

3 hours ago, will2k said:

Lumberyard is just a customized fork of Cryengine.

Cryengine is actively developed, updated and maintained; they also switched to revenue-sharing where Crytek takes only 5% of revenues generated by each game built with CryEngine, only after revenues have passed $5,000.

And Lumberyard is owned by Amazon, another good reason to avoid it.

1 hour ago, ThunderKeil said:

the only thing I've seen about lumberyard is that amazon forced its developers to use it & that cost them years of development time because literally not one person liked it

was not compelled to look into it more deeply

Like I said, Lumberyard is just going open source and was actively developed until now, and I guess community will do further.

Of course I trust Crytek more than anyone else with a tech coming from there, but they haven’t managed to release updates as people expected or promised.

Wouldn’t think revenue was important @will2k, thought you were just playing with a scene not a proper game. Anyway was just interested to know since it’s the same underlying tech.

@ThunderKeil not sure about Amazon Studios, I know there are a couple articles detailing the problems, I think I read one and most of the blame was on poor management, atm I don’t remember particular things on the tech, although I can imagine that when you try to use one engine for every type of game, you’ll struggle. Also devs get used to things so it’s imaginable that they would rather use UE or Unity. I think there was a similar problem in EA when they started using Frostbite for everything (NFS the Run was the first notable non-BF game using the engine if I’m not mistaken) and the toolset wasn’t  mature yet.

Edited by blackdog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blackdog said:

What are the differences @JimFKennedy? Seems to not have the raised central area like other maps but can’t tell much from the shots

Yeah the shots were specifically to show parts that were finished, there is a 'raised central area' but its not really worth showing yet.

3 hours ago, JimFKennedy said:

Yeah the shots were specifically to show parts that were finished, there is a 'raised central area' but its not really worth showing yet.

Cool 😎 haven’t played CS for an long time, DZ even longer, but still I’m curious what are the differences from the standard meta you were alluding to 🤓

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

Cool 😎 haven’t played CS for an long time, DZ even longer, but still I’m curious what are the differences from the standard meta you were alluding to 🤓

These 'differences' are still to be integrated, but they are just small changes to functions like tablet blockers and hostage zones.

4 hours ago, ThunderKeil said:

@SirSnail

Looks great, though I'd suggest moving the buoys a bit farther from shore - they kind of mess with the perceived scale, sort of makes it looks like a snowglobe if you know what I mean

Well - unless that's what you were going for of course, in which case chef's kiss

Yeah still need to change a few more things, working on the 3D skybox as well which is probably where I'll put them but for now it's a funny death tripwire

On 6/25/2021 at 4:04 PM, ThunderKeil said:

4d2.jpg.805927d25ac76b5e0aafe50566aec3e4.jpg

Question: how can I fully disable runtime shadowcasting on static props? (csgo)

In order to get adequate (sun)lighting, some roofs have been set not to cast shadows - this worked fine when the roofs/ceilings were func_brushes, but now that I'm replacing some with static props, I'm noticing that although the compiler lets light through, in-game it seems to be ignoring the tag & overlaying real-time shadows anyway

[edit] disabling shadowdepth fixed it

I think you're doing it in a strange way. If you want more lighting inside, there are many unique options besides letting it come in from the roof. You can change the $reflectivity of your indoor textures, incorporate texture lighting, and lesson your shadow colour. This technique will make it look convincing. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, zastels said:

I think you're doing it in a strange way. If you want more lighting inside, there are many unique options besides letting it come in from the roof. You can change the $reflectivity of your indoor textures, incorporate texture lighting, and lesson your shadow colour. This technique will make it look convincing. 

Please elaborate because I honestly do not have a clue how to get started with advanced lighting

There's already boosted $reflectivity on the tiled floors, it helps a bit but it doesn't provide the scattered diffuse light I'd need to mimic the real thing

I'm hesitant to raise the shadow colour because I feel it'd lose too much depth, and quite honestly I find the map a bit washed out as it is

[edit] ok wait I think I'm starting to figure it out

turns out the trick was to turn on HDR and spam spotlights

Edited by ThunderKeil