Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

On 11/30/2020 at 4:04 AM, albim75 said:

ar_Dome

Soon to be released

20201128135829_1.jpg

20201128135900_1.jpg

20201128140033_1.jpg

Hey! Maybe it's too late now but here's some feedback for the future. Looking at those screens it seems that the theming is all over the place. There's so much stuff to look at, but nothing gels together. I have no idea what that space is supposed to be. It looks like it's a greenhouse, but also a Florida resort, a tropical forest conservatory, that聽was abandoned, then some remodeling was done, but then they ran out of funding and abandoned the remodeling efforts too. And then some pipe bursted and flooded the warehouse in the basement聽馃槀

You definitely have the skills to build maps, but for next maps, I'd suggest to work a bit more on the theming. Take a look at every major CS map and you will notice that they usually have one very strong theme, that makes it easy for people to remember them ("the castle map", "the ruins map", "the office map", "the middle eastern map", etc...). Best luck!

On 12/8/2020 at 9:25 PM, Minos said:

Hey! Maybe it's too late now but here's some feedback for the future. Looking at those screens it seems that the theming is all over the place. There's so much stuff to look at, but nothing gels together. I have no idea what that space is supposed to be. It looks like it's a greenhouse, but also a Florida resort, a tropical forest conservatory, that聽was abandoned, then some remodeling was done, but then they ran out of funding and abandoned the remodeling efforts too. And then some pipe bursted and flooded the warehouse in the basement聽馃槀

You definitely have the skills to build maps, but for next maps, I'd suggest to work a bit more on the theming. Take a look at every major CS map and you will notice that they usually have one very strong theme, that makes it easy for people to remember them ("the castle map", "the ruins map", "the office map", "the middle eastern map", etc...). Best luck!

Hi Minos and thank you so much for the feedback!!

I agree that the聽map need a theme...it's really important :D

The background of the development of this map is rich of many changes along the year. At the beginning this was a map for a competition and it was much much less detailed then todays version and had a different theme.

I didn't post the description for the submission in the forum, but basically this is a abandoned aviary (or birdhouse) with a biome inside.

I agree with you that there are too many "Architectural/design" elements inside that don't fit with the theme...unfortunately I enjoined more then expected the creation of these assets聽馃槀

I will follow聽your suggestions and try to stay focused, so thanks again!!!

I've been working on a AIM/AM map for CS:GO, with a twist. The game initially plays out as a collection of six 1v1 matchups. After 15 seconds, the doors to each arena will unlock, allowing players to walk to other arenas, or to fight it out in the hallway connecting the six arenas. There will also be random sets of weapons each round (AK vs. M4, Tec-9 vs. Five-Seven, Sawed Off vs. Mag-7 and so forth).

Overall, I envision the map being like a collection of six movie sets, each themed after a CS:GO map. This is why you can see some skybox textures on walls, as they are meant to be something akin to LED screens. Here are how the arenas look like so far:

Sugarmill/Swamp:

Spoiler

20201217181512_1.jpg.8b292a215bb706e694fce8fa545f6723.jpg

Aztec/Ancient:

Spoiler

20201217181536_1.jpg.edb22d5bda393b710da61246817f0da9.jpg

Dust/Mirage:

Spoiler

20201217181549_1.jpg.628841dc6bdebc3b5f23f3abe74931b8.jpg

Cache (closely based on the official 1v1 Cache arena):

Spoiler

20201217181606_1.jpg.d20377774f6fc0b9124471a9c920a4e3.jpg

Italy/Inferno/Canals:

Spoiler

20201217181729_1.jpg.46451d4be60098b0b4974cf393eb0a4c.jpg

Subzero/Monastery:

Spoiler

20201217181702_1.jpg.b7affe68e2804156ae9fbdc1bdc834cf.jpg

Hallway that connects the arenas:

Spoiler

20201217181753_1.jpg.b4430250f863feebea43bb24548b34ad.jpg

You'll notice some red buttons in the hallway screenshot. Pressing those red buttons will teleport players into the arena, after a two second delay. I added these buttons because there is only one entrance into each arena, which I think would make it really easy for someone to camp inside an arena. In turn, allowing players to potentially teleport behind a camper would be a good way to balance things out. Also, requiring players to stand still for a couple seconds before teleporting prevents players from cheaply teleporting away in a hallway fight.

Finally, I plan on creating a spinoff version without the connecting hallway. Instead, the map will teleport surviving players to a 7th arena after some time. I also plan on creating separate 1v1 maps for each of the arena.

Edited by sn0wsh00
spoilers, reword, added image

Added some more details to the AIM map I was working on:

Italy/Inferno/Canals (more roofs):

Spoiler

20201223173201_1.jpg.3e6f3dd9ef39edfbfcff961b1f0ab0cd.jpg

Aztec/Ancient (more foliage):

Spoiler

20201223173353_1.jpg.c7a8123b23532c923956c5be83de16d8.jpg

Subzero/Monastery (more background stuff):

Spoiler

20201223173323_1.jpg.6f7c2574d0253d9d48e70af5cf602657.jpg

Cache (more foliage):

Spoiler

20201223173453_1.jpg.dd6395ccff57bfc0bd4fce3b376419ce.jpg

Also, I recently discovered that the game_player_equip entity kind of screws up CS:GO if you're trying to play deathmatch, arms race or demolition modes. In fact, if your game_player_equip is forcibly equipping players and you try to play in arms race mode, the whole game will crash. This means,聽on top of the 7(!) spinoff maps already planned, I'll be releasing a deathmatch/arms race compatible version as well.

Edited by sn0wsh00
spoilers

On 12/18/2020 at 4:55 AM, D3ads said:

Stuff D3ads Said about Dark Matter

Great stuff dude, it seems like a great closer to your Half Life modding chapter, putting together everything you learned into one final product. Awesome :)

On 12/18/2020 at 1:41 AM, sn0wsh00 said:

I've been working on a AIM/AM map for CS:GO, with a twist. The game initially plays out as a collection of six 1v1 matchups. After 15 seconds, the doors to each arena will unlock, allowing players to walk to other arenas, or to fight it out in the hallway connecting the six arenas. There will also be random sets of weapons each round (AK vs. M4, Tec-9 vs. Five-Seven, Sawed Off vs. Mag-7 and so forth).

Hallway that connects the arenas:

Hide contents

20201217181753_1.jpg.b4430250f863feebea43bb24548b34ad.jpg

This is an interesting project, but I think you need to work on the central hub. This is basically gonna turn out as a TDM, since there are not gonna be clear fronts (two distinct sides) where players will come from, and running up and down a corridor is not fun.

So I think you need to build a central hub that is more than a corridor, you need an arena that allows people to clash together in a fluid manner. It would work out even better if you could add verticality, placing the different 1-on-1 rooms on different levels. Imagine a mall with a couple of galleries or look up the Panopticon concept (where your rooms would be the cells).

Considering the concept you have, and considering reference like the aforementioned Panopticon, you can come up with something very interesting, like a "production room" located in the hub that overlooks the sets... this would give you the bonus opportunity聽to create some environmental storytelling.

Look at something like de_studio to see how they integrated the concept, and I am thinking of de_biome when I think of the production room

Edited by blackdog

My first map created for CSGO. Its small for 1v1 and my goal was to learn. I have published it on the workshop. If you find any mistake let me know and be a harsh judge because I dont want any mistakes for my next maps.聽https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2334095275

1v1_corner0029.jpg

1v1_corner0012.jpg

1v1_corner0009.jpg

1v1_corner0001.jpg

Thanks guys, Dark Matter came SECOND in the Upcoming Mods vote!

https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-best-upcoming-mod-2020

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-dark-matter/images/mod-of-the-year-2020-second-place

Big thanks to everyone here who voted! Here's a couple of WIPs from the Xen chapter called Hostile Takeover (it was a working title for DM, now a homage to the cancelled expansion by 2015). Check the moddb links below for a synopsis!

xen_wip1a.jpgxen_wip1b.jpg

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-dark-matter/images/chapter-hostile-takeover

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-dark-matter/images/chapter-hostile-takeover1

Edited by D3ads