Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

2 hours ago, Ringel said:

@Soldat Du Christ I like that you use different height variations and oneway-drops are also interesting. In cs:go 2 man boosts are very nice and comon but there are also 3 man boosts possible. Different height variations may make more of them possible so you may want to watch this: 

I personaly can't understand why they are possible. They are mostly used in an abusive way. If I would Valve I would at least highly increase the spread of the player on top. But most likely I would make 3 and more man boosts impossible because as a mapper they make the development more difficult and you may end up building too high walls or buildings which limits the amount of good molotovs and smoke lineups. Or you place an invisible wall but it is not always possible in an area with several height variations.

And if I want that it needs 3 players to look over something I make an area you only reach with a 2 man boost that again needs a 2 man boost to look over it. So in my oppinion there is no need for a 3 man boost.

I took this into consideration when building, and even implemented a few 2 man boosts as features, both as a way to give access to areas and for los purposes. I think it's an awesome option to give players! I didn't know 3 man boosts where possible though... yikes

48 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

I took this into consideration when building, and even implemented a few 2 man boosts as features, both as a way to give access to areas and for los purposes. I think it's an awesome option to give players! I didn't know 3 man boosts where possible though... yikes

When I look closer at your height variations you might also have to deal with such 5 man boosts. Have fun! smileD.png.ef7e8b5b431f6fd5b4f4917ac1513836.png

3 hours ago, Ringel said:

When I look closer at your height variations you might also have to deal with such 5 man boosts. Have fun! smileD.png.ef7e8b5b431f6fd5b4f4917ac1513836.png

If this was a viable strategy you would see pros pulling these off regularly, its nothing to worry about, costs too much time and man power that you need to disperse elsewhere

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

If this was a viable strategy you would see pros pulling these off regularly, its nothing to worry about, costs too much time and man power that you need to disperse elsewhere

it will be boring to watch

Megaboosts are super-situational. You can somewhat predict where players would want to abuse them, therefore design to potentially prevent them. Or make them somewhat a feature, so they are predictable, like Overpass T-spawn, when it was a novelty every highlight video would feature the T stacking up and sniping the CT coming on B balcony... now the highlights are more likely to feature CT flicking the cheeky boosters.

What I mean is that you will hardly get into a situation where players will want to commit almost the entire team to a boost in -say- mid, unless you make it very convenient for them to do so. That to me highlights a fault in the map.

These are such edge cases that I think any sane mapper will want to account for only when extensive playtest highlights them as a problem (ore vice versa a cool thing to implement).
Let's be real, the chance of our maps being [added to rotation and] played by thousands of players is so slim that you want to focus on what makes a map fun and solid.

Since finishing Dozen I started blocking out a new project, for now called 'Sapper'. I originally drew this as a 5v5 defuse but as I blocked out the first two versions I started to gravitate towards a hostage map. cs_ doesn't get much love anyway, so why not.

I'm still pretty far away from having anything to playtest on, but can you see any glaring issues with the direction it's headed so far? Rough timings are indicated based on the shortest route (Except for the CT time in I-1, that came following the low route on the far right side). T timings are likely a second too fast as I didn't have an interior to T building when clocking this.

DAxBZJq.png

Like I said, still early planning, so please excuse the ms paint lines. The biggest question mark at the moment is that interior of T building. I've drawn in what I think might work there, but nothing is brushed in yet.

Here's a top down view in game to get a better feel:

Spoiler

nPdWZir.jpg?2

The theme is loosely based around the city of Bo, Sierra Leone. There's a weird mix of ramshackle huts next to these old colonial-looking buildings I'm using as a lot of the inspiration. Case in point, the diamond exporter that seems to change names in every reference image I see it in:

Spoiler

C1qDiXn.jpg?1hOvtAuG.jpg?18PCErYq.jpg

The tower in the center of the map is also blocked from reference:

Spoiler

16cf5325a05deafa9690eb03a81f2534.jpg

1 hour ago, wazeecha said:

Since finishing Dozen I started blocking out a new project, for now called 'Sapper'. I originally drew this as a 5v5 defuse but as I blocked out the first two versions I started to gravitate towards a hostage map. cs_ doesn't get much love anyway, so why not.

I like the theme! Definitely something to work with. From the overview it does seem VERY fastpaced, almost more like a wingman map in timings. Also lots of straight sight lines between buildings. Maybe if you expand the playable area that can give you the space to add some more nooks and lean into the theme of weird paths through some of the ramshackle housing, which would really help bring the map alive. The main paths could probably remain as wider streets lined by colonial houses. 

Edited by Freaky_Banana
"which" - grammer is hard.

4 hours ago, wazeecha said:

I originally drew this as a 5v5 defuse but as I blocked out the first two versions I started to gravitate towards a hostage map. cs_ doesn't get much love anyway, so why not.

Yay! It's so nice to see some people work on new hostage maps. Like the concept as well.

I think it'll also be nice if you can use @ZooL's South African Police models for CT's, tweaked obviously so that they can fit in with the Sierra Leonean theme.

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Shaping up awesomely @TheOnionChef! You created the environment In a way that sends me back to old CS and how de_prodigy could look like today.

Looks close to release, best of luck with the final touches and release.

I’m just curious what “brings you back to old CS”... is it the theme or is it a lack of good visuals? Really interested to know what’s creating that feeling for you.

1 hour ago, TheOnionChef said:

I’m just curious what “brings you back to old CS”... is it the theme or is it a lack of good visuals? Really interested to know what’s creating that feeling for you.

I think poor choice of words, I just mean it sparks memories of playing de_prodigy, as the mix of rocks and tech tunnels has some similarities... but like I was attempting to say, the graphics are really good. If they told me it was an official remaster of the map I could believe it ;)