WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

1 hour ago, wazeecha said:

Since finishing Dozen I started blocking out a new project, for now called 'Sapper'. I originally drew this as a 5v5 defuse but as I blocked out the first two versions I started to gravitate towards a hostage map. cs_ doesn't get much love anyway, so why not.

I like the theme! Definitely something to work with. From the overview it does seem VERY fastpaced, almost more like a wingman map in timings. Also lots of straight sight lines between buildings. Maybe if you expand the playable area that can give you the space to add some more nooks and lean into the theme of weird paths through some of the ramshackle housing, which would really help bring the map alive. The main paths could probably remain as wider streets lined by colonial houses. 

Edited by Freaky_Banana
"which" - grammer is hard.

4 hours ago, wazeecha said:

I originally drew this as a 5v5 defuse but as I blocked out the first two versions I started to gravitate towards a hostage map. cs_ doesn't get much love anyway, so why not.

Yay! It's so nice to see some people work on new hostage maps. Like the concept as well.

I think it'll also be nice if you can use @ZooL's South African Police models for CT's, tweaked obviously so that they can fit in with the Sierra Leonean theme.

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Shaping up awesomely @TheOnionChef! You created the environment In a way that sends me back to old CS and how de_prodigy could look like today.

Looks close to release, best of luck with the final touches and release.

I’m just curious what “brings you back to old CS”... is it the theme or is it a lack of good visuals? Really interested to know what’s creating that feeling for you.

1 hour ago, TheOnionChef said:

I’m just curious what “brings you back to old CS”... is it the theme or is it a lack of good visuals? Really interested to know what’s creating that feeling for you.

I think poor choice of words, I just mean it sparks memories of playing de_prodigy, as the mix of rocks and tech tunnels has some similarities... but like I was attempting to say, the graphics are really good. If they told me it was an official remaster of the map I could believe it ;)

47 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I think poor choice of words, I just mean it sparks memories of playing de_prodigy, as the mix of rocks and tech tunnels has some similarities... but like I was attempting to say, the graphics are really good. If they told me it was an official remaster of the map I could believe it ;)

Thanks man. I've been working on this for a while now and it's nice to hear that people are liking the screenshots. I remember how shit it was for 75% of development, and now it's finally coming to fruition. Hoping to release the map alongside a trailer for it within a week or two.

@Soldat Du Christ Looking good so far and faithful to your first blockout. I'm interested to see how the sight lines work once it's done. 

One thing I would be mindful of is how the open nature of the map might affect your ability to optimize it. I know your focus right now is on layout (as it should be), but at the same time you don't want to make it impossible for whoever will be doing the art. To some degree, the limitations of the engine inform the layout. For example, in Danger Zone, since the maps are large and open, the overall quality is much simpler than on standard defuse maps. Danger Zone maps also implement heavy fog, which allows for far z clipping to further optimize. You don't really have this luxury on defuse maps since you want to keep fog to a minimum. So if there are any areas where you may potentially be rendering the entire map, that's going to be an issue.

Of all the defuse maps, Nuke is probably the most detailed one with multiple elevations, but the areas are still somewhat segmented so you don't have vision across the entire map. The devs also combined props to reduce draw calls and placed occluder brushes in certain places to reduce rendering.

I made a really open map before and it was really difficult to optimize once it was fully detailed. Just wanted to give you a heads up as more knowledge can help save you headaches down the road. Of course, so much of this stuff simply has to be lived and learned. 🤘

@TheOnionChef Nice work. It definitely has that Prodigy vibe that i'm sure many will find alluring. I would milk that nostalgia as much as you can. 😂 Also like that you used Zion as a reference—I went camping there last year and it was beautiful. 

In that third screenshot with the staircase, are the areas to the sides of the staircase accessible? If they aren't, they should probably look more like they aren't. Areas that look accessible but aren't is a common complaint with players.