Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Theme change, but also some layout changes based on feedback from the hubs. It's gonna be released under a new name though.

Thought I recognised that long street from the other screens. I’m a bit sad, I felt by looking at screens that the previous version was coming along well, artistically.

What’s this gonna be, the architecture makes me think of Spain/Italy.

Anyways looking forward for more @Radu ✌🏼

22 hours ago, blackdog said:

Thought I recognised that long street from the other screens. I’m a bit sad, I felt by looking at screens that the previous version was coming along well, artistically.

What’s this gonna be, the architecture makes me think of Spain/Italy.

Anyways looking forward for more @Radu ✌🏼

chrome_XrWxeR9idh.png.358463976b3acc010d6f576f4a63a22f.png

*Update

hammer_PynaGvSPPx.thumb.jpg.b8241e2be363d1460b5e490026de4918.jpg

hammer_2v3XOXGbT0.thumb.jpg.ec71f254a53b69903d82bc5d798a4247.jpg

hammer_YSSst6XEfR.thumb.jpg.7cacd3958fc0cb67728171aa6fb9f19a.jpg

Edited by Radu

1 hour ago, Snusmumriken said:

I'm working on my first map, called de_tomb, which is set in an ancient Egyptian archeological site. What do you think of the design/aesthetic/atmosphere and map layout? https://imgur.com/a/4xDqw6K

Better to embed some pictures in your post. Even if it's just one click away, most people won't click it.

@Snusmumriken The theme seems doable, but I would push it in a more extreme direction to set it apart. Maybe it is extremely vegetated or whole areas have collapsed. Perhaps there are tombs and skeletons. Layout-wise, it seems like this map also needs something more to set itself apart. It uses too many corridors in places where they serve no purpose. The only true corridors on dust 2 are the one between the long doors and the one between B and upper tunnel. They are narrow and designed to consolidate players in to one area to focus action and make defense manageable. The placement of corridors around your map should be deliberate and does not even need to occur at all contact points. Flow is also an important factor, because it naturally guides the players aim and movement throughout the map. Pathways that snake around for the sake of delaying movement throughout the map can cause problems:

image.png.3719a5440f3c0498a00872c14daee9e2.png 

For this reason you almost never see such an instance on an official map.

There are more points to be made, but I think these are good places to start improving your map.

All good feedback! Yeah, I have been reconsidering the theme a bit. The desert environment is quite popular so it's hard to stand out. And the point on layout and flow are good. I have heard that from a lot of other people too so I'm taking another stab at redesigning the map from the ground up. Thanks for the feedback!

1 minute ago, will2k said:

I quite liked the screenshot that dux posted in the Alyx thread couple of days ago.

The bounce light and ambient occlusion in Source 2 are really nice.

I spent roughly around 5 hours recreating it in a 7 year old engine.

3kEAeNx.jpg

Wait... I know this water pot model :D

1 hour ago, will2k said:

I quite liked the screenshot that dux posted in the Alyx thread couple of days ago.

The bounce light and ambient occlusion in Source 2 are really nice.

I spent roughly around 5 hours recreating it in a 7 year old engine.

3kEAeNx.jpg

Only two years older than Source 2 🤭

Edited by blackdog