Jump to content
Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

@neptune Looks nice, but how does this map even work in CSGO. 

 

I adapted CS GO  mechanics, compatible with Competitive, Wingman and Deathmatch mode and I made like Half-Life Deathmatch mod without useable turret and HL DM weapons  I replaced with equivalent CS:GO weapons for this mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before and after for some stairs leading from T-spawn to a main area of conflict. The idea between the two separate stairs is that the farther side is more advantageous for Ts to peak with, but makes more noise when running, while the concrete side is quieter but gives the cts the advantage when peaking.

The right side was originally a bunch of metal grate textures and basic geometry, with a low res brick filling beneath. I managed to find a comprehensive guide on how concrete stairs are actually made and got around to reworking the right side as metal rebar used to reinforce the eventual concrete, with a plywood base. The rebar work was left unfinished as to explain why one side was already pored and set, while the other was still exposed.

 

stair_before.jpg.5540f77890e1158b498f3eff8605040d.jpgstair_after.jpg.3835efe33a5c056e86c02a9312aa53d1.jpg

Edited by fewseb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

@fewseb Thats cool I never knew they used rebar for stairs

They appear to generally only do that in public areas where there will be a lot more wear and tear, from what I can tell private and domestic concrete stairs are either made in a mold or with concrete bricks stacked on top of each other, with a mortar finished put on the tops front sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, fewseb said:

Before and after for some stairs leading from T-spawn to a main area of conflict. The idea between the two separate stairs is that the farther side is more advantageous for Ts to peak with, but makes more noise when running, while the concrete side is quieter but gives the cts the advantage when peaking.

The right side was originally a bunch of metal grate textures and basic geometry, with a low res brick filling beneath. I managed to find a comprehensive guide on how concrete stairs are actually made and got around to reworking the right side as metal rebar used to reinforce the eventual concrete, with a plywood base. The rebar work was left unfinished as to explain why one side was already pored and set, while the other was still exposed.

 

stair_before.jpg.5540f77890e1158b498f3eff8605040d.jpgstair_after.jpg.3835efe33a5c056e86c02a9312aa53d1.jpg

I think its one of those cases where being too faithful to a reference hurts the final product, it’s waaay off the left field for people not to notice and criticise. It just looks dangerous, as in I can’t see how people wouldn’t get their foot stuck in there, so it’s not inviting to be used. I mean, in real life is not meant to be used, so the natural reaction in game is to stay away as well.

You can achieve the same intended effect of metal noise by using metal grills such as this heavy duty stuff used in building sites as well as public installations (catwalks leading to natural beauty spots for eg)

https://images.app.goo.gl/hyKEcqySkpkrUotx7

I would convert the left side to a concrete ramp (or wooden! if the map represents a site in early development). Or make a fully finished concrete set of stairs, but one side has wooden board on it to make a ramp. A ramp would make a lot of sense for moving heavy building materials up and down the height difference, and would be accessible if the final site is intended for public use (not moving goods). Ultimately I think would look more logic/organic.

~

I’d like to see this in context, as in: I’m a bit sceptical that such small positioning difference is so advantageous for one team or the other, it sounds wrong. Not that it’s a bad idea to differentiate peek spots, but the closest example I can think is underpass on Santorini and the two angles are separated by a wall and there’s an accentuated difference in the way you walk up to the spot that makes sense. If there has to be a clearly more advantageous way to peek, than I argue that you should have a clearly different variant (like forking the path to go indoor and come out from a window/door or you peek from a platform which you would have had to choose to get up to before getting here)

Edited by blackdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, blackdog said:

I think its one of those cases where being too faithful to a reference hurts the final product, it’s waaay off the left field for people not to notice and criticise. It just looks dangerous, as in I can’t see how people wouldn’t get their foot stuck in there, so it’s not inviting to be used. I mean, in real life is not meant to be used, so the natural reaction in game is to stay away as well.

You can achieve the same intended effect of metal noise by using metal grills such as this heavy duty stuff used in building sites as well as public installations (catwalks leading to natural beauty spots for eg)

https://images.app.goo.gl/hyKEcqySkpkrUotx7

I would convert the left side to a concrete ramp (or wooden! if the map represents a site in early development). Or make a fully finished concrete set of stairs, but one side has wooden board on it to make a ramp. A ramp would make a lot of sense for moving heavy building materials up and down the height difference, and would be accessible if the final site is intended for public use (not moving goods). Ultimately I think would look more logic/organic.

~

I’d like to see this in context, as in: I’m a bit sceptical that such small positioning difference is so advantageous for one team or the other, it sounds wrong. Not that it’s a bad idea to differentiate peek spots, but the closest example I can think is underpass on Santorini and the two angles are separated by a wall and there’s an accentuated difference in the way you walk up to the spot that makes sense. If there has to be a clearly more advantageous way to peek, than I argue that you should have a clearly different variant (like forking the path to go indoor and come out from a window/door or you peek from a platform which you would have had to choose to get up to before getting here)

The stair area overall isnt that big of a gameplay area. Its serves as a way for Ts t get to the area of conflict just ahead. (see picture) CTs arnt going to get to the stair area faster then the Ts ever. CTs are most likely to hold back on the exits to the area of conflict or stay on their side. Its not as important as the hallway in Santorini

 

The noise difference is mainly for two things.

1. The metal_grate landing sound effect is louder then the concrete landing sound, and more distinctive, if the cts can push up, they may be able to hear a lurker or an awper thats trying to speedily get to their best peak spot. Very situational though.

2. In the event that the ts rotate back through the stair well (see picture) a ct in the area of conflict would be able to push up and listen for them. In this scenario, having quieter and louder materials is good for both detecting the amount of enemies and as well as their positions.

 

I do agree that the bottom of the stairs do look fairly unwelcoming, this was the first time I compiled for that area and have since changed some things around and added ply wood boards. Though gameplay is obviously the most important, the unfinished stairs also served to help explain the stair area a little bit better in relation to whats going on in the map.

 

Id like to have been able to provide more context as to where everything is as well as the changes ive made to the stairs, however thats currently not possible, as ive run into a little bit of a snag where the game hard crashes the second bots/players load into the map (speaking off, does anyone know why that might be?) so ive tried my best to explain with this screenshot

stair_after_explain.jpg.0598b68fe30c657135a4c3307787e653.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

de_archives

After days of countless threats, a small terrorist group has launched an attack on a small town outside of Grosseto, Italy.

The group hopes to hold the archives complex for it's powerful strategic position, and high elevation.

Thankfully, a GIS Counter-Terrorist squad has made efforts against the group, leaving only the most powerful members alive, holding a formidable position in the archives complex...A tough scenario lies ahead for both sides of the conflict.

Workshop link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1702736973

Screenshots - https://imgur.com/a/wyyaZ95

Overview Radar Image

4awao1O.png

Trailer - 

 

Let me know if you have any feedback. Would love to make this better. Thanks! Good luck, have fun!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.70ec9b3c12135686c30115b858392f46.png

Its gonna have 4 lanes, no middle, and two back to back bombsites (obv not connected directly). The idea was originally some sort of desert research lab, but then I saw a greenhouse project with plastic geodesic domes that had biomes, so I went with a mashup of the two ideas. One biome will be the jungle and the other will be the savannah (a and b). I am scared that the theme is too much like Biome, although the dome structure, indoor areas and stuff are different. Wut u guy sthinkmap.jpg.1557cee189f16ffdb762024212fc4665.jpg

 

 

image.png

Edited by Interfearance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Interfearance said:

image.png.70ec9b3c12135686c30115b858392f46.png

Its gonna have 4 lanes, no middle, and two back to back bombsites (obv not connected directly). The idea was originally some sort of desert research lab, but then I saw a greenhouse project with plastic geodesic domes that had biomes, so I went with a mashup of the two ideas. One biome will be the jungle and the other will be the savannah (a and b). I am scared that the theme is too much like Biome, although the dome structure, indoor areas and stuff are different. Wut u guy sthinkmap.jpg.1557cee189f16ffdb762024212fc4665.jpg

 

 

image.png

I think its very interesting idea and should be done, but I think that the layout will be too confusing for a first time player. And just think how pros would play that, would it be even possible? But anyways I think its overall an grat idea and should be done! GoodLuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...