Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Yeah, that makes sense.. kinda! I destroyed the displacement face on the bottom, but I'm not sure how to destroy a face of a regular brush. I nodraw'd the top face but that didn't seem to work.

As Aston said above you might want to make the main brush a displacement as well, or it could be fixed with a more thorough compile. As covered by valve in the recent lighting update, historically there has been disparity between how displacements and brushes have been lit.

After having not made any original maps in ~a year (done some recreations) seeing a lot of these progress screenshots gets me all excited to get to do my own detailing again. Keeps me motivated to get past the early stages.

So even if I knew I wouldn't make the Run Think Shoot Live deadline for the current contest, I spent a few hours this weekend to see if I would make it in time to submit at least a very rough version with gameplay set in. Didn't make it, but I like the idea I had for the progression in the map, so will try to complete it in the next weeks waiting for the next challenge.

2016-03-08_00001.jpg

Edited by blackdog

I just made a sketch and did a rough floor job in SDK for my first map, there are some pics of it in SDK and the sketch to see it more clearly. Problem is now I'm completely lost on how to do aesthetically pleasing walls and what not.

Desktop 3-11-2016 4-11-24 PM-130.png

Desktop 3-11-2016 4-11-53 PM-894.png

Desktop 3-11-2016 4-11-06 PM-997.png

IMG_20160311_160446.jpg

Uhm i thinks Ts are at the bombsites WAY earlier then the CTs

Uhm i thinks Ts are at the bombsites WAY earlier then the CTs

Yeah it kinda looks like that but it shouldn't from my measurements, also the B site on the sketch was going to be on CTs side of the room instead of where it is

Edit: Also if I got deep into it I could just make the length of CT paths a bit shorter but I'm kinda at a standstill of incompotance right now anyway

Edit 2: Actually here I made it a bit shorter. Didn't realign anything but just did it real quick so that's that. Might could stand to be a tiny bit shorter on CT although if the bombs close it would be fine

Desktop 3-11-2016 5-18-54 PM-22.png

Edited by JoyousCoconut

I just made a sketch and did a rough floor job in SDK for my first map, there are some pics of it in SDK and the sketch to see it more clearly. Problem is now I'm completely lost on how to do aesthetically pleasing walls and what not.

Desktop 3-11-2016 4-11-24 PM-130.png

Just add walls and a skybox ceiling for now- detailing comes way later. it's not like you've done 'aesthetically pleasing' floors :lol:

You should nodraw anything that can't be seen

Stairwell with railing and real bad lighting :)

I love this shot, it's everything good with FPS level design. At least I think so =)

You can feel the gameplay inside your head. You either sit down there looking up, or camp in the corner of the stairwell, trying to cover both top and bottom... the best thing is, that this very simple layout works so well in so many games, Quake, Raibow Siege, TF, Chivalry - probably not Civ5, still =)