Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

We've just gone live on FB with Operation Black Mesa's media release for this year, images are also on ModDB, so I can post them here now, yay!

OF2A1 "Missing In Action" WIP-2015

of2a1_4.thumb.jpg.909067adf25b669443bb5a

of2a1_2.thumb.jpg.2530b65c51c1f0f894572a

of2a1_3.thumb.jpg.86380445ed0589326b7cdd

Edited by FRAG

Seems pretty good, but I would argue there could be more player guidance through lighting, that not just because the original was dark it needs to be now… but as well I don't remember the specific areas in the original game (connective areas?), so can't judge properly.

All connective in OF2A1, its pretty much an A to B map but I've adjusted the design a little to create a more interesting way of getting to point B, lighting does play a large part in most areas which are not shown, it's also hard to show how the lighting works with just static images too, for example the fan rooms have lights that activate and guide the player towards the broken fan section so you can advance to the next level.

But, as shown on the image, it's still very much WIP and appreciate your feedback, I'm still experimenting a lot with the lighting across OF2A1 and will admit some areas still need to be addressed, just wish I could show more though, would be a lot easier to talk about the level.

Edited by FRAG

How on earth did you squish all that in?! Looking amazing!

I don't want to turn this thread into a chat room, so I'll post this here so people know in advance.

The bigger structures of the tower are inside 3D skybox, which saves the performance.

Most of the smaller details are props, some of them such as the "spears" I had to turn them into models using Propper as well, so it doesn't hog the performance. They are made from brushwork though.
Most of it is just texture work,

one of my friends was visiting that place a few months ago and sent me a few snaps so I turned them into textures. Some of the parts were very low detail so I had to redraw it completely using Photoshop.

The result is quite satisfying, though. So far I haven't had any issues with performance of the map.  I am also using normal maps to make the textures look a bit more "indent", but this was after I took these screenshots. I want to make the map look authentic, but at the same time stray away from being completely too realistic, not only because of my poor capabilities and performance reasons, but also because of all the Terrorism issues going around. The tower is not a complete 1:1 carbon copy, of course.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated on this thread as I go. I might also release the .vmf after I publish the map so people could check it out and learn something new from it, so keep an eye out for that.

I swear to god the year is not complete if I have not done a Japanese themed map in some form or another

96088E28361387B22EB526C710B2C09FA3309D50

I'd reconsider the lighting angle of the sun. The only thing you can see right now is shadows. Or, if you've taken the values from Valve according to the skybox: rotate the map. :)

Edited by Deathy