Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

If it all is made of group of small models, won't it impact performance ?

Yeah I think it can impact performances but I'm not sure if it's only in hammer or also ingame. I have to check that, but it's possible since it do bad perf with multiple prop_static of grass.

Yeah I think it can impact performances but I'm not sure if it's only in hammer or also ingame. I have to check that, but it's possible since it do bad perf with multiple prop_static of grass.

Well, why don't you take a bit more time and make the whole cave a single model. Well i don't know much about modeling, and i don't know how will engine react to whole area being as model, but i know that few games levels are literally made from models 

Well, why don't you take a bit more time and make the whole cave a single model. Well i don't know much about modeling, and i don't know how will engine react to whole area being as model, but i know that few games levels are literally made from models 

Making bigger parts... yes but not entirely. I'm scared about the lighting on this engine with models, I really don't know for now. I'm in a state of making an "asset store" (I don't know the name in english, but making all models I need to make a map with them).

I have made this level http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135458640 using a lot of single part models, without performances problem on a GTS 250, so I think it's not necessary, well I'll see, thanks for the feedback :)

While it is not a bad idea, Source is also good at handling displacements and brushes on its own as long as you know what you're doing.

Of course, props are more efficient when it comes to very detailed subtle things such as windows, trims, corners, props and other details, but I don't think making the whole map out of them is a great idea.

Some things such as penetration, different graphic cards handling the map and collisions come into mind.

For example, the ground in the screenshot outside could be easily replaced with displacements, and to make it look just as good you could have a good texture on it.

There's a new feature that allows you to use Phong on non-model surfaces, so you could experiment with that too.

Just some of my thoughts, the screenshots look superb, it doesn't even look like Source engine!

While it is not a bad idea, Source is also good at handling displacements and brushes on its own as long as you know what you're doing.

Of course, props are more efficient when it comes to very detailed subtle things such as windows, trims, corners, props and other details, but I don't think making the whole map out of them is a great idea.

Some things such as penetration, different graphic cards handling the map and collisions come into mind.

For example, the ground in the screenshot outside could be easily replaced with displacements, and to make it look just as good you could have a good texture on it.

There's a new feature that allows you to use Phong on non-model surfaces, so you could experiment with that too.

Just some of my thoughts, the screenshots look superb, it doesn't even look like Source engine!

Currently I got this http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/403433347029526183/D7898D24DBF3B02A32A206B548A99658B5F761E1/ (not as screenshot to not spam forum about my content) I set the floor as displacement here.

I know it's bad on source making entirely model, because there is no vis, so you have to cut with brush manually every pieces, so you have bsp behind models etc... I really hope Source 2 for cs:go will fix this issue.

2015-12-03_00003.thumb.jpg.c4ab89b050e7f

Also, get to know where it is set, LA heh? Sounds awesome! 

Getting a feel of the style for my map. Debating right now over if I want to go with day or night, I like the sunset but night would be cool and not to hard as most of map is close to walls (To attach lights to) or indoors:

FD9307A0308A3D23F5F7F72C20370B578B585ABD

D9530935F2CD580372191EB784A15BC3D4D5E573

D0FDBFC8424C7B5729E0B978385355522695DF6B

Edited by Quotingmc

Hi!

I just completed this time travel level in Portal 2, and i'd be eternally grateful if you would play my level on Steam and provide some feedback! Any and all feedback is appriciated, i'm here to learn! Here are some screenshots:

Thanks in advance!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568614234

bttpv20000.jpg

bttpv20001.jpg

bttpv20002.jpg

bttpv20003.jpg

bttpv20004.jpg

bttpv20005.jpg

bttpv20006.jpg

bttpv20009.jpg

bttpv20010.jpg

Title.jpg