Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Geometry looks nice, but it's awfully dark. try lowering the sun angle and intensifying the light it casts. That wood floor also looks like it'd be simple to make into a custom texture. Just take that texture you're currently using and rotate part of it in diamond shapes like that in the middle of it. Could be a cool effect!

So I was inspired by gotcha's little scene to try and recreate the reference he used as well. I don't have CS:GO though, so I used CS:S.

94a2400248.jpg

p767PSx.jpg

One thing I'm confused about is the light from what I assume to be the sun. It comes around both corners of the hall at different angles and bounces up onto the ceiling a lot. I'm unsure of how to replicate this in source. It looks very flat in CS:S using light_environment. I had to use a 50% linear, 50% quadratic ghost light at brightness 25 near the ceiling to make it seem like light was bouncing more. I don't like faking it. Is this just not possible to in source, or at least CS:S? I know CS:GO got phong shading on world faces awhile back but like I said I don't have CS:GO.

Edited by sevin

I don't understand what you mean about light coming from both corners at different angles :?

Sun is sun, comes from one direction, what might change is the shape of the window, there might be something outside that alters the way the light bounces around… I guess you can only put additional lights inside to simulate.

Well, light is a complicated thing, you know CS:GO vrad is only an approximation.

Light_env has only 2 light configurations, the sun and the ambient. It doesn't take the varying brightness of the sky into account. You can tweak the SunSpreadAngle value, but if you want a realistic simulation you need to set it to the angular diameter of the sun (which is around 0.5°).

One thing you can try is to use several light_directional on top of your ambient light. The best would be to add a bunch of them and copy their orientation/color/brightness from pixels on the 2D skybox (that would look so good on a sunset skybox), but doing it by hand is probably good enough. More recent Quake 3 skies are handled like this.

For a start I would just copy the sun configuration into 3 or 4 light_directional, desaturate their color slightly, make it a tenth of the original brightness and randomize the orientation by a few degrees. See where it goes.

EDIT: also, if your reflected light isn't bright enough, you can manually tweak reflection values inside the VTF (not the VMT). This is used for radiosity, not cubemap/phong.

Edited by Klems

This is what I mean by the light coming in at different angles:

c4c8649851.jpg

I'd like to try what you told me about light_directional Klems, but remember I said I'm using CS:S? That's an entity only included in L4D and beyond.

But that's not light coming in at different directions. Source is sun, direction is one, you can talk about different directions if there are different sources, so artificial.

I think that instead of being perpendicular to the window opening, sun is shifted and comes in at angle, allowing more light through one side than the other.

Edited by blackdog

It might be a cloudy day...? Or no direct sunlight is visible in the picture. Then the whole surface of the window would be the source rather than one specific direction coming through it (I think).

I don't know... I'm getting mixed opinions about this but I still wanted to try it out. Let me know what you think!

730_screenshots_2015-05-31_00001.thumb.j

​Looks a bit weird to be honest. What's the theme here? ground texture looks dodgy.