Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

It might be a cloudy day...? Or no direct sunlight is visible in the picture. Then the whole surface of the window would be the source rather than one specific direction coming through it (I think).

I don't know... I'm getting mixed opinions about this but I still wanted to try it out. Let me know what you think!

730_screenshots_2015-05-31_00001.thumb.j

​Looks a bit weird to be honest. What's the theme here? ground texture looks dodgy.

@sevin It looks like your light source is coming in directly from the right whereas the picture you show would have quite a steep angle as well as light supplied from reflections outside. You can also seen in the picture how the light is reflected on the walls compared to your matt walls.

To mimic it you could put a low brightness light entity off centre from the window.

@TheGuma Lighting looks far to pale, and the whole shot looks washed out. Maybe it needs colour correction, but I feel the colours should be a little richer.

@LATTEH when can I expect to see that map in csgo? :P

@sevin It looks like your light source is coming in directly from the right whereas the picture you show would have quite a steep angle as well as light supplied from reflections outside. You can also seen in the picture how the light is reflected on the walls compared to your matt walls.

To mimic it you could put a low brightness light entity off centre from the window.

​I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I know the light is bouncing and that's creating a lot of extra light on the ceiling, but CS:S doesn't have a world face phong shader and those textures don't bounce much anyway. There's already a linear light of brightness 25 up there by the ceiling to enhance the glow on it. What do you mean by putting a "low brightness light entity off centre from the window"?  

Why does source do this?

From this: zuBMVo2.jpg

To this:

WzSMUh2.jpg

(Textures are ugly and fucked if it's not visible)

And why does this happend, where the models become white the further away they are:

6zomYcA.jpg

Here on my first model I made you can also see that source fucked it up even though it's fine everywhere else, where did these white edges and poop quality come from?

tJJQ8ld.jpg

wat do pls halp

I use 3ds max with the Wallworm Model Tools plugin. 

A static render in a 3D modelling program is always going to be prettier than real-time rendering in a game engine, especially one as (ahem) "historical" as Source.

As for the models getting white the further away they are, you may want to investigate the mipmapping on the VMT. I had this on a prop I made a while back but it went black at the edges the further away I got, and it turned out I'd inadvertently changed some mipmap settings when converting the diffuse in to a VMT using VTFEdit.

xego4tY.jpg

Got some models going on the left side... The wall is temporary, though! Also, I hope you guys don't mind if I post here often... It's pretty big for me.