Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Been working on a Volcano CTF map for UT, been a blast to make (phun intended) I'm a huge Volcano nerd, it's been tough to get the impression of scale, boundaries and sight lines working, particularly when your passionate about doing the theme justice. Rebuilt this sucka 3 times to get to where I am now. It's a blend of facing worlds, Eternal Cave and Lava Giant, to make that old school UT feel. It should be in the official build pretty soon.

efewjr.jpg

​The forums crashed yesterday before I could metaphorically shower you with my money. This shit is EPICCC

Been working on a Volcano CTF map for UT, been a blast to make (phun intended) I'm a huge Volcano nerd, it's been tough to get the impression of scale, boundaries and sight lines working, particularly when your passionate about doing the theme justice. Rebuilt this sucka 3 times to get to where I am now. It's a blend of facing worlds, Eternal Cave and Lava Giant, to make that old school UT feel. It should be in the official build pretty soon.

efewjr.jpg

​The forums crashed yesterday before I could metaphorically shower you with my money. This shit is EPICCC

​They crashed because of awesomeness

Thought this might be of some use here, I took some pics from Maya of the scene for anyone who is curious, I started with a cone for the volcano and a sphere for the magma chamber, entire level is about 5k polygons, it's split up into smaller meshes so it's easier to work with an lightmaps don't completely bork out.

It's not the cleanest mesh in the world, but it works, it is after all a prototype model

5d9kd4.jpg

2n1hlar.jpg

Interestingly, the first effort I started with some terrain, soon realized it was not an efficient way to be building this one.

Terrain make sense for flatish areas, not complicated connecting, extruded caves and precise vertical shapes that you see here. Figuring out how to use terrain in this kind of map would take a lot of effort, it's easier to see the entire layout in Maya than farting about with tons of different parts at this point.  I use different methods to build each map, it really depends on each situation.

Edited by 2d-chris

I understand. So yeah, this is just for prototyping, then you would use terrain where appropriate(?).

was just wondering if the choice was due to a more technical restriction, was thinking that maybe doesn't allow you to make caves like Cryengine

Well, for the actual art pass, that would require quite some discussions and planning, we'd evaluate all our tools and workflows to figure the best course of action.  I'd be surprised if we decided to use terrain for any more than a few areas of this, it would be no different in Cryengine, the voxels have not been used since Crysis 1 and terrain is only used for flatish areas, cliff props are then carefully added to hide the seams, but it does look a little last gen (no blending between props and terrain etc) The caves in Crysis 3 are modeled, with a mixture of rock props you slam into each other, not voxels.

Terrain is useful, for certain things like sweeping landscapes, but even then it's usually generated in world machine and then tweaked in the level itself, the days of "painting" terrain in the tool are slowly ending. If you require lots of vertical and precise measurements it's not going to make sense. 

As for using terrain in a prototype, sure, if it makes sense.

Edited by 2d-chris

Been working on this map on and off. Haven't touched it in a couple months. Been busy with other things. Really early stages of blocking out and making sure pathway times are good, etc, etc. Sorry for the dark spots in the map. Lighting will be put there. Hope to finish it (no ETA). Map will have long distance/mid/close quarters engagement. Map is going towards a Nuclear Aztec Favela theme if that makes any sense. I do have a map code-name for it but not sure if to use it. Map is playable. If any one is interested don't hesitate in joining the creative process of designing the map to make it the best! 

cKNUO65.jpgNeEcZPm.jpgJZN8yiU.jpgREAlkju.jpg2rCKLES.jpgpesHXvu.jpg