WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Been working on this while I polish Crown, it's based on a piece of concept art by Jonas De Ro. He was nice enough to approve:

oaks-crossing.jpg

3ymPkBY.jpg

This is probably gonna be a solo project.

Are you postponing/scrapping that bridge map you were testing out a while back?

I'm currently postponing/scrapping 9 million projects :hurg:

Thanks for the kind words and feedback so far. I'll start a WIP thread for this map soon I guess.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WIP for my Portal 2 mod.

A small thing a made for tf2.

Posted Images

Hope this isn't too many. Its the blockmesh and art phase of my UT4 map. Its almost ready for release this week so I can get feedback.

i9QR1O2.jpg

mKkUm8V.jpg

xVz4w2g.jpg

ox7rSLD.jpg

WUTsH87.jpg

vXYSvym.jpg

rcDPZGv.jpg

cQDfW5H.jpg

QESByG4.jpg

ncUZKl1.jpg

Xe0orVj.jpg

Yo Castle, isn't the first UT Alpha still months away from being released to the public?

That's what a beast this guy is! Seriously, I'm loving these update shots dude. It's fantastic. My critique would be that this looks like a nice, fairly generic "under" layer. I now want to see you take it in a new, interesting direction with a "twist" which would go over your sci-fi hexagon kind of style. I'm thinking nature (overgrowth) + hexagons, or holo screens and girders + hexagons, something + the hexagon foundation to really bring it all to life and to it together into something unique.

I'm curious to hear if you had any of that in mind thematically, what your gameplan is. Keep up the great work.

ye thats some nice shizzle castle! agree with fmpone, wanna see/hear more about the art style dressing that will go ontop, would not mind if it was in a bottom mineshaft with some steep ass rockwalls leading up to a scorched surface with some chains etc hanging down for some nice parallax,

or overgrowth theme, might go more inhand with the temple-ish style already in there...

temple_10.jpg

got a lil update myself, was hoping to have this level done this week, but ranges are in the finals...nuf said,

slowly and steady shaping up, got a early (and currently outdated) version of the map on the workshop if anyone wants to check it out, its called "carry - wip" (friends only)

anyways, you are looking at the ship's forward elevator, used for transporting aircrafts to main deck, lane #1, and internal transport of cargo from second deck to main hangar deck,

in this case it serves as one of the sites onboard the aircraft carrier, not sure about the dual plant options since it havent been propperly playtested, otherwise the layout hasnt changes since the previous version

post-14026-0-10453400-1401910238_thumb.j

shot4_v1_1.jpg shot5_v1_1.jpg shot6_v1_1.jpg

Lighting and geometry is nearly done. Unfortunately the engine is suffering from some severe bottleneck because those sharp shadows are causing the fps to drop to 0, specially in the main area with the green glow. The rainbow colors are caused by I don't know what. It isn't texture compression because compressing lightmaps with DXT would cause the same artifacts seen in quake 3 when texture compression is enabled.

Was thinking about that pool: green meaning toxic vs blue meaning liquid nitrogen

Edited by 0kelvin

ye thats some nice shizzle castle! agree with fmpone, wanna see/hear more about the art style dressing that will go ontop, would not mind if it was in a bottom mineshaft with some steep ass rockwalls leading up to a scorched surface with some chains etc hanging down for some nice parallax,

or overgrowth theme, might go more inhand with the temple-ish style already in there...

temple_10.jpg

Wow, I haven't seen this screenshot in a while. I really need to go back and finish this map.

Can't wait to see your map, Hipshot!

That's what a beast this guy is! Seriously, I'm loving these update shots dude. It's fantastic. My critique would be that this looks like a nice, fairly generic "under" layer. I now want to see you take it in a new, interesting direction with a "twist" which would go over your sci-fi hexagon kind of style. I'm thinking nature (overgrowth) + hexagons, or holo screens and girders + hexagons, something + the hexagon foundation to really bring it all to life and to it together into something unique.

I'm curious to hear if you had any of that in mind thematically, what your gameplan is. Keep up the great work.

Well the plan has been to find something that is next gen looking but isn't too over the top like UT3s art style. If you take a solid look at UT3 Low poly level designs you see a much better representation of level design in terms of game play. However the graphics end up taking a back seat and you end up with a next generation engine running what looks like old school level design.

For example: PlayForGG's UT3 map.

52b3u0h6wekqmwefg.jpg

It looks great right? But it also looks like it could have easily looked roughly the same in UT2004. Which is fine, but what should a PC centric next generation FPS look like? How can we make something that appeases the PC master race of tomorrow while not making every area a blurry visually confusing headache?

Finding this balance has been a giant mind battle for me for years. If you make a level that is designed around pure game play you end up holding back on the visuals and if you make something that goes balls out on visuals you end up hurting the game play. For the most part UT3 tended to do the latter.

The answer to this dilemma, I think, is to try and make an arena that looks as though it was constructed for the sole purpose of deathmatch like a Portal test chamber. The portal test chambers are visually impressive and they explain the strange game play centric geometry choices while not stepping outside of reality. You find a balance where you can try for fully realistic visuals while having the oddly shaped rooms and hallways an arena shooter often requires.

So my plans for UT4-1on1-Chamber has been to embrace this idea that it is a artificial construction like a Portal test chamber. I love the idea of hanging vegetation. I haven't really thought enough about how generic this will end up looking if i am not careful! that's is definitely something to keep in mind. I am planning to put stadium seating around the outside as well as a dome ceiling. I have considered hanging TV screens and a set of arching power grid nodes.

I will likely be thinking about how I want to move forward as I am about to take a 1460 mile trip very soon and I wont be near a PC for awhile xD

Edited by Castle
  • Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic