Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Oh, didn't realise you had two maps with planes in the making. Both look cool! Any chance to have a look at them ingame? Would be easier to come up with suggestions/ideas.

At the moment it looks like you have at least 7 main routes, which is more fitting of a demolition map. To make it work better as a hostage map, I think reducing the number of main paths down to 3 (like most good hostage maps), and blocking off as many windows as possible would help things massively. Once you do this, you can then focus on refining the chokes, and work on balance/fun/sightlines etc.

Just from the overview, it does not look like anything that cannot be solved, or at least radically improved by some simple changes.

Assuming all the necessary entities are in the map to get it working, it totally looks like it is worth a playtest on the server so that people can give meaningful more feedback. There is too much work here to let the map go to waste!

Looks cool. The overgrown/abandoned test chambers were my favourite areas from P2. I must admit that I skimmed through as to not spoil the puzzles so much, but the theming looks really faithful to the stock levels/style which is a good thing :)

At the moment it looks like you have at least 7 main routes, which is more fitting of a demolition map. To make it work better as a hostage map, I think reducing the number of main paths down to 3 (like most good hostage maps), and blocking off as many windows as possible would help things massively. Once you do this, you can then focus on refining the chokes, and work on balance/fun/sightlines etc.

Just from the overview, it does not look like anything that cannot be solved, or at least radically improved by some simple changes.

Assuming all the necessary entities are in the map to get it working, it totally looks like it is worth a playtest on the server so that people can give meaningful more feedback. There is too much work here to let the map go to waste!

Solid suggestions, cheers! I think you're spot on; 3 seems to be the magic number when it comes to hostage rescue maps.

I'll try and sort something out for a playtest on the server soon to collect some more in-depth feedback as I would really appreciate it. Probably towards the end of April as I'm going on holiday next week and won't have time to sink my teeth into any meaningful changes or join in with testing. 

Edited by spence

Did a lighting and detail pass on my intro level. Finally figured out how to get the lighting to look good.

https://vimeo.com/90430395

I think you need to sell that time travel transition a lot better, especially if that's your main conceit here... apply screen overlay, add a quick screen fade, etc. right now it's just a straight-up teleport that almost looks like a bug with how sudden it is... I'm not saying to make it into a 60 second Final Fantasy summon sequence, but, you know, at least make it juicier.

Edited by Campaignjunkie

Did a lighting and detail pass on my intro level. Finally figured out how to get the lighting to look good.

Looks cool, it's a bit late to say that I know, but the pacing is really weird, it's like you have to open 20 doors, without really understanding what you do ...

I think you need to sell that time travel transition a lot better, especially if that's your main conceit here... apply screen overlay, add a quick screen fade, etc. right now it's just a straight-up teleport that almost looks like a bug with how sudden it is... I'm not saying to make it into a 60 second Final Fantasy summon sequence, but, you know, at least make it juicier.

Ya I'm still working on that. Trying to make it look nicer. I also changed it so where you actually come out of the teleporter facing the right direction, instead of the wall. I want to do like a screen shake, special sound, and some kind of overlay or post process effect.

Edited by Setin

Looks cool, it's a bit late to say that I know, but the pacing is really weird, it's like you have to open 20 doors, without really understanding what you do ...

There are a lot of doors, but part of it is just trying to keep going. A lot of Portal 2 is just figuring out how to keep going forward. Some doors are broken and you can't get through, others have barriers that prevent you from reaching them. Part of the puzzle is figuring out where to go.

Haven't played Portal 2 so I dunno how they compare exploration wise, but looks cool Setin, congrats!

I think a lot of players enjoy that kind of exploration, although I would think of some kind of "center piece" room where the player would be stuck a lil longer to solve a more time consuming puzzle. (But maybe you have it just after, or had it before, but as someone said, the pace seems a bit off.)

what? you have that the other way around? cs maps work great when it's windy and complicated, forcing t's to hold rather than rush down 1 of 2 routes and massacre the ct's.

At about the 1 minute mark, you have to shoot a portal through a bunch of foliage to get into the next little area. I don't think that panel is highlighted well enough for players to get the subtle hint to use it to get up there. Ontop of that, it's not really common for players to be able to shoot and walk above a drop-tile ceiling like that in portal 2, so you might want to highlight it a bit more. (That all being said, I really love that idea)

At about the 2:30 mark, you shoot through the hole in the window towards the opposite wall. That looks like a pretty tight shot. Maybe consider opening up the shot a little bit to allow for wiggle room for players?

Also, as someone said making the time travel bits a little bit more interesting visually would be really cool.