WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

a map without light is black, a photo without light is black, and movie without light is black, a room without light is black. Lighting is, and always will be one of the most important factors in artwork, when you start to learn how much thought and expertise that goes into lighting a scene of any media, it's humbling - learn lighting for one and you've got the basics of them all.

Edited by 2d-chris

@knj: like it, very much a sunset feeling... not sure but the sky is so blue/purplish that breaks the believability imo. Rest is perfect, except the glass on the floor that seems floating.

I liked the original, I think that in there the lights you placed in the room are a tad too strong, especially the one above the closest mirror.

Edited by blackdog

a map without light is black, a photo without light is black, and movie without light is black, a room without light is black. Lighting is, and always will be one of the most important factors in artwork, when you start to learn how much thought and expertise that goes into lighting a scene of any media, it's humbling - learn lighting for one and you've got the basics of them all.

Agreed. How could someone get better with lighting in general? Any good resources? (besides kicking ass at photography :P)

Agreed. How could someone get better with lighting in general? Any good resources? (besides kicking ass at photography :P)

You need to know some basic rules how the light acts, know some tricks how to use it to create atmosphere that you want. Watch how it's used in movies or games, how it works and so on... The rest is your technical skills, engine limitations and pure practise. A lot of. I couldn't find any outstanding book/article/tutorial about light but here's a one thing that will get you closer:  http://www.crytek.com/download/gdce2013_shining_the_light_on_crysis_3_donzallaz_final_plus_bonus.pdf

what seir said, and ...

add one light to the scene and make that your key light (primary) then add a fill light (ambient) then add some rim lighting or in games (highlights) to emphasize

subject, leading or just cool visual elements.

Biggest mistake noobs make from my experience is adding too many lights, the best cinematographers and lighting guys use less and do more with them.

Also take note of the size of the light source itself and how diffuse or sharp a light would be in nature, once you've mastered all that you have materials and surfaces to worry about, but one thing at a time :P

Good advice all round. I thought I'd add in my two cents as well:

For lighting deconstruction from artistic perspective (values, use of color, form and composition) I find that looking at paintings is super helpful as they are basically reconstructions of light and every stroke is there to do a specific thing. For example take a look at the 2D galleries from cgsociety: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3 or there is always the work from the oldschool masters(random side note: abstract art can be good reference for dealing with form and composition). Though there are things that can go missing in paintings, photo reference helps there and obviously for technical reasons as well. Two good sites for photo reference: http://1x.com/  and http://natgeofound.tumblr.com/.

And a couple links with lighting tutorials:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

http://www.amaanakram.com/lightingT/part1.htm

If you are looking for more in depth tutorials/discussions on the matter you'd do good by looking up a book.

Edited by AtsEst

• Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic