Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

very cool, but what is it? needs doodads (lol cant remember if that's how u spell it) and well purpose, base structure is rock on, ,. is it a a storage structure, science lab, urban district, space station or a prison? I'd assume a scene would read via just looking at it, this is technically sound but I'm not sure what it's trying to do.

very cool, but what is it? needs doodads (lol cant remember if that's how u spell it) and well purpose, base structure is rock on, ,. is it a a storage structure, science lab, urban district, space station or a prison? I'd assume a scene would read via just looking at it, this is technically sound but I'm not sure what it's trying to do.

yeah good point, it started out as just a random space station but I eventually changed it to a skyscraper rooftop. It's not supposed to make much sense but I'm adding a bunch of props to clear that out now :)

Been working on this small Starcraft inspired environment in UDK over the weekend, almost done with it and could use some crits :)

starcraft_wip08.jpg

I can not believe this was Not made in Starcraft 2. It looks just like the new tileset featured in HotS.

New update, almost calling this done... might still add a few pieces here and there tho.

starcraft_wip09.jpg

@Anselmo: Yeah all modular pieces with textures made in nDo. This was a really short project that I wanted to finish over the weekend to have something new in my portfolio since I haven't updated in so long :)

@minos - A part of me wants that main building to be more of a set piece (since this is just an art piece). I see you kind of do that with the "Sovereign.co" sign, but seems like you could push the theme of this building a bit more.

I might also suggest having an ambient video of the environment just chilling (for portfolio purposes).

I realize you only wanted to spend a weekend working on this, but if you are going to update your portfolio, might be worth spending a tiny bit more time on it.

<3

Of course how colors mix is a bit of a subjective topic, but to me the orange is quite harsh for the scene, and the reds also clash (although they're a bit more subtle). I would go with a more yellow (similar to the sign) and test that. It's difficult in such a relatively complicated scene to define exactly teh solution to this issue without goign hands on with it, but my lighting philosophy is always really simple:

1) 3 colors maximum

2) one cool color, one warm color, one "x-factor" that is used pretty sparingly

following this format i'd say to keep the green, keep the light yellow, and find a third color that can saturate the scene in spots. possibly the blue, but it's a bit strong where it's used, it doesn't feel like an x-factor but more like a third player, which is making the scene a bit busy.

here's some refs you might find useful

http://i.imgur.com/FzVJWmB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GTv66FQ.jpg

Edited by FMPONE

Of course how colors mix is a bit of a subjective topic, but to me the orange is quite harsh for the scene, and the reds also clash (although they're a bit more subtle). I would go with a more yellow (similar to the sign) and test that. It's difficult in such a relatively complicated scene to define exactly teh solution to this issue without goign hands on with it, but my lighting philosophy is always really simple:

1) 3 colors maximum

following this format i'd say to keep the green, keep the light yellow, and find a third color that can saturate the scene in spots. possibly the blue, but it's a bit strong where it's used, it doesn't feel like an x-factor but more like a third player, which is making the scene a bit busy.

I see what you mean. I kept the palette really small though, it's pretty much colors analogous to green (greenish blue and yellow). The red is there as an accent, I tried other colors and they all look like shit. Agree about the teal line on the bridge though, it's a legacy from the old color scheme I was going for and looks really out of place now :P Thanks for pointing that out!

1) 3 colors maximum

I see what you mean. I kept the palette really small though, it's pretty much colors analogous to green (greenish blue and yellow). The red is there as an accent, I tried other colors and they all look like shit. Agree about the teal line on the bridge though, it's a legacy from the old color scheme I was going for and looks really out of place now :P Thanks for pointing that out!

I personally like the teal light along the bridge, as it ties into the teal lights on the doors on the building, and the general atmosphere of the scene. However changing them all might not be a bad idea.

I also feel like there's a bit of a disconnect between the color theme (cool blues) and the narrative implications of "Sovereign Co" & the soldiers standing guard (militaristic, aggressive). Something to think about.