WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

I don't know if videos count but here's a WIP from Repercussions

I think you need to get some people who have not played your MOD before to test it, because I see players getting really confused and frustrated. Like for example the bit where you go up to a second floor office to switch on a button to progress. The pacing feels gated all the time, walk, push button, unlock door, where is the puzzles, the exploration, the drive of the player to move forward and see the next part. I can understand it must be frustrating just working with existing assets and trying to make a new jigsaw puzzle picture but your level feels like it needs more focus, what exactly are you trying to do? what is the player suppose to do? What type of gameplay are you trying to create?

I don't know if videos count but here's a WIP from Repercussions

I think you need to get some people who have not played your MOD before to test it, because I see players getting really confused and frustrated. Like for example the bit where you go up to a second floor office to switch on a button to progress. The pacing feels gated all the time, walk, push button, unlock door, where is the puzzles, the exploration, the drive of the player to move forward and see the next part. I can understand it must be frustrating just working with existing assets and trying to make a new jigsaw puzzle picture but your level feels like it needs more focus, what exactly are you trying to do? what is the player suppose to do? What type of gameplay are you trying to create?

I acknowledge the need of playtesters very well ,and will make the mod open for playtesting as soon as I'm done fleshing out the levels.

As for the button opening the gate ,it might not be well visible in the video but there's a cable hanging from the building to the gate hinting the player it's controlled from there.

I'd also like to point out the level shown is a really early part of the mod where the player is just about to acquire the portal gun (therefore puzzles are limited) and is supposed focus on showing the player his surroundings,some backstory on them and It's current dire state while creating a feeling of urgency to move forward as it's falling apart.

What I'm trying to create is an experience of the original's story from another point of view while using the original's way of progressing.

Much like Opposing Force for HL.

Edited by Lemurr

As for the button opening the gate ,it might not be well visible in the video but there's a cable hanging from the building to the gate hinting the player it's controlled from there.

I'd also like to point out the level shown is a really early part of the mod where the player is just about to acquire the portal gun [...]

I didn't notice the cable and in general the ambience it's probably too dark for that; what I can say –also in response to the general objection by Sock– is that without anything in his hands, the player can just move through the one available path. Then it's critical to spike its interest so it doesn't quit the game.

Personally I was really into the events and curious about what was coming... I really felt anticipation at every corner* and in big part i believe it was so exactly because there wasn't a Portal Gun on screen; then quality is top notch with lots of details and the voices sound like the original.

It's just a personal opinion by the way, I'm the kind of player who does explore every corner. Also, I didn't played Portal 2.

PS: nice reference to Back To The Future :D i thought "ok, really?!" and then you come out and say it loud... i think that was perfect narrative.

*congrats, perfect pacing in moving around for a demo.

Edited by blackdog

Not really sure if this is the exact area where I can post this, but I dont really see an area for scripting or anything related. But im currently working on an advanced Day/Night/Weather Cycle in UDK. Udk has a foliage map that has a Day/Night/Weather cycle that ive been referencing, but I plan to make it a bit more complex. So here it is at a pretty basic stage right now. The art in the level is currently all assets that are packaged with UDK so no point in showing them.

MatineeKismetProgress.jpg

Been working on some NS2 map lately, learning Spark as I build. No in-game pictures yet but have this one:

34c473bfdbd45ff2398f33640ff8ctt.jpg

It has a nice core look but its a bit cloudy and over-fogged. In my experience this can be a symptom of staring at your own work too long, I used to do that in Spark, stare at the same thing for so long I lost track of stuff like that because my eyes adjusted to the image.

Edited by FMPONE