WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

looks really pro! but you might want to adjust the lightmap scale on the far end wall (right) on this screenshot:

http://upload.habboi.../cistern_05.jpg

and maybe it's just me but i miss some shadows on the walkway in this shot:

http://upload.habboi.../cistern_09.jpg

anyway, very impressive shots!

Edited by killertomato
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WIP for my Portal 2 mod.

A small thing a made for tf2.

Posted Images

a DE map called de_cistern for CSGO

It looks great, congrats!

Any chance to see a layout to understand how it should play?

about this two, especially the #06, i find the lighting excessively warm. On #09 i'm thinking that kind of room usually has cold lights (at least, reference I've seen I can compare)... I dunno if it would it possible to create some contrast between the top and bottom space.

about this two, especially the #06, i find the lighting excessively warm. On #09 i'm thinking that kind of room usually has cold lights (at least, reference I've seen I can compare)... I dunno if it would it possible to create some contrast between the top and bottom space.

I would try contrasting lighting between the pathway (warm) and the waterreservoirs on both sides (cold). It would make the lighting more interessant, but also provide better player guidance. In real life there would be no need to lit the water anyway.

hey dudes, I don't post here often but I do sometimes check out the WIP thread to see the hot talent. I'm nearing the end of my partnership with Smokerscough aka Rock 24 creator. It's a DE map called de_cistern for CSGO and it's set in a water facility. I've spent I think 5 months on it or more though it wasn't 24/7 so I'm really just guessing. Either way it's been a long project and I'm glad to see the end of it. I implemented caustics, moving foliage, flow maps and I attempted an experiment to make cloud shadows cast across the map however it proved negative though I've written up my findings and will post them along with the release of the map. I have to wait till my partner comes back from his Christmas away from the PC.

Hey, that looks great! It looks like you're pretty far along already, but be sure to check out the thread for the MapCore CSGO server if you need a hand with testing:

Also, be sure to drop the finished version in the Finished Work section when you're done and I can add it to the list of threads getting Twitter promotion.

Phew lots of feedback there. More so than anywhere else. Three people have pointed out the railings so it looks like I'll have to revise them. Such a pain since it means sorting through this mess:

http://puu.sh/1Hcu4

I'll take all your suggestions and put them in my bag. Lighting is such a pain in Source and it took me so long to get it to an acceptable level. I really need to discuss things with my partner before I start changing stuff and as for a top down pic, let me see if I can whip one up right now. Sorry it's not 100% clear but I don't have a vector version on me. Suffice to say it's a simple map and was originally blocked out by Smokerscough before I came along and arted it up for him. The railings are models but it's clear they're more brush like in appearance. I can see where it's coming from. I want to release a B1 and see how it's received and if I get time I will try replacing the railings. The thing is I'm in dire need of a job and this is meant to be my last project otherwise that's it, game over. Sad but true, I've been trying to get work in the industry for years and get nothing so I put my all into this.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/layout.jpg

looks really pro! but you might want to adjust the lightmap scale on the far end wall (right) on this screenshot:

@killertomato: That's actually Source's shadow LOD in the works. If you go real close it becomes sharper. What's really odd is that in my cordon compiles the window frames would cast shadows on to it but a full compile removes it. It's a pain of Source I believe and I'm losing my patience with it considering compiling on full takes 19 hours. (calculates VRAD twice)

Overall thanks for the positive & constructive comments. I look forward to releasing it and moving on :)

Edited by Habboi

Phew lots of feedback there. More so than anywhere else. Three people have pointed out the railings so it looks like I'll have to revise them. Such a pain since it means sorting through this mess:

http://puu.sh/1Hcu4

I'll take all your suggestions and put them in my bag. Lighting is such a pain in Source and it took me so long to get it to an acceptable level. I really need to discuss things with my partner before I start changing stuff and as for a top down pic, let me see if I can whip one up right now. Sorry it's not 100% clear but I don't have a vector version on me. Suffice to say it's a simple map and was originally blocked out by Smokerscough before I came along and arted it up for him. The railings are models but it's clear they're more brush like in appearance. I can see where it's coming from. I want to release a B1 and see how it's received and if I get time I will try replacing the railings. The thing is I'm in dire need of a job and this is meant to be my last project otherwise that's it, game over. Sad but true, I've been trying to get work in the industry for years and get nothing so I put my all into this.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/layout.jpg

@killertomato: That's actually Source's shadow LOD in the works. If you go real close it becomes sharper. What's really odd is that in my cordon compiles the window frames would cast shadows on to it but a full compile removes it. It's a pain of Source I believe and I'm losing my patience with it considering compiling on full takes 19 hours. (calculates VRAD twice)

Overall thanks for the positive & constructive comments. I look forward to releasing it and moving on :)

19 hours is ridiculous - have you checked what is taking a lot of time? i can't imagine vrad would take that long - you can't optimise something to fix that?

Most of the map is model based and the final VRAD uses those commands like -staticproplighting or whatever it's called etc etc and combined with the low light maps in places that uses it and an outdated PC it takes 9 hours but like I said it does VRAD twice now, I don't understand why except that it makes the lighting sexy so the reality is 9 hours, you just double it. Regardless the map is fully optimized in hints, areaportals etc and I've done my best to cut back on excessive detail but really it's the models, they eat the large part of the cake and a lot of the structures are model based like stairs and stuff.

Edited by Habboi

Have you gone through and specified on some of the smaller props not to use per-vertex lighting? When I was working on my Nuclear Dawn map, I went through with a fine comb over every single prop and considered whether it really needed vertex lighting, things such as boxes, light models, and other small shit that's too insignificant for anyone to care about. It cut compile time down a huge amount, and I assume aided performance quite a bit.

The map looks badass btw

Edited by RedYager

holy shit, look at this and the first post, almost exactly the same :P shows how little tech really evolved in the past 5 years :P

anyhoo, looks cool, just needs some prop models and it's good to go - add some floor lights, and some panels + trims, or try adding some service areas next to the walls, with railings :D

post 1

co_mistral5.jpg

today,

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1379

Edited by 2d-chris
  • Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Sprony featured and unfeatured this topic