Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Looks great Pudding! Love 'behind the scenes' style Portal maps. You should take promo screenshots with a lower FOV when you do them btw, makes the shots look a bit weird.

Fine, I'll post some in-game shots!!!

QNx57.png

coming soon :ninja:

Third shot does it for me. Love the trusses, pipes & fog, it looks like it just drops off to nowhere. The masked/gobo'ed light looks a bit out of place (maybe it's just the angle of the camera in this shot but I can't see the emitter)

I'm usually shy of posting shots here, since the tech I'm using can't visually hold a candle to the Cryengine and UDK stuff. I know I should use more mapmodels, which is something I'm already beginning to do. I'm still working to get my levels layout complete, polish will follow. I switched from Q1bsp to Warsow's FBSP, because it offers higher resolution lightmaps and stuff like ambient occlusion etc.

Q3map2 is a much better tool than the Quake 1 compilers.

I'm actually desperate to talk to other designers / artists and get some helpful feedback. It sometimes seems like amateur level design is dying, I pretty much have no one to talk to about these things.

Because I don't feel like rewriting all my QuakeC gamecode, which has developed over the last 5 years to do pretty much all I need to do. I'm not a good coder. I'll switch tech for my next project, this one is too far along to do that.

Sometimes taking that leap can really make a big difference. Sometimes it can even cut down on time. You might be reinvigorated by a new engine with new possibilities, and rewriting the code might not be as hard as you think. But I really don't know about Quake or how you feel. Your BSP is very nice, you would like Source. Though that there too is a dying engine, so I know how you feel.

Art wise you could add some pieces to break up the line of the surround wall, like little pillars. Can you afford a couple more textures too? Something to break the repetitiveness of the ground?

sd_crashdown_a50002.jpg

Bloviation has undergone a ton of versions and changes since I last posted it here. The map was originally meant as an experiment to try and structure my workflow better and force me to work within time constraints. But now I'm working on getting it to play as fun as it can. I just did the first texturing pass, so I'll post more in the thread once I've lit it and whatnot, soon.

I'm usually shy of posting shots here, since the tech I'm using can't visually hold a candle to the Cryengine and UDK stuff.

I feel you, brother.

Post anyway! The Quake stuff is awesome, I atleast like seeing it!