WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

3rd one is most extreme aggressive looking, 2nd one shows more of the level but the orange goo and the line going through the text are problems.

I tend to like #2 if the problems are removed. Because I don't like ads visually rammed down my throat.

Thanks for the positive feedbacks!

It seems that the 3rd one made it!

It doesn't show so much of the level as the other options, but I think that would be enough to grab the visitor's attention and make him click and open the project, where there will be more screenshots of the level itself, a gameplay video and a link for an in-depth article. I slightly moved up the text to get farther from the orange goo. I think that is a valid thing to include in the screenshot to show one of the puzzle elements.

alAnselmo_competurn_home.jpg

Now, the other round of "what's the image that give you orgasms?"! This (LAST) study of the most appealing/ interesting header image is of my other level. I'm about to choose the last one, but I think the others are great too. What do you guys think?

9PTlU.jpg

Thanks in advance!

so irrelevant

I can't see why choosing something for the first impact of an image of a project can be irrelevant. Why would it be? I'd love to understand more.

All those screenshots makes the map look extremely over-complicated and bloated. :P

Hmm so the images might be transmitting the wrong message.

But "All those images", without exception? Even the first and last one (for example)?

Btw, the first one shows a section of the level during the level start. The other ones show the level after it has been solved/ during its solution.

so irrelevant

I can't see why choosing something for the first impact of an image of a project can be irrelevant. Why would it be? I'd love to understand more.

because it's just kinda pointless unless it's a really bad screenshot. if someone is visiting your site as a potential employer then they're going to open all your projects, as long as the work is good (put your best stuff first etc).

in fact it's better to have very identifiable thumbnails and avoid abstract images that only show tiny parts or don't give a good diea of what the person is clickign onm, it's not about intrigue ie: a mystery, it's about relevant information.

so irrelevant

because it's just kinda pointless unless it's a really bad screenshot. if someone is visiting your site as a potential employer then they're going to open all your projects, as long as the work is good (put your best stuff first etc).

in fact it's better to have very identifiable thumbnails and avoid abstract images that only show tiny parts or don't give a good diea of what the person is clickign onm, it's not about intrigue ie: a mystery, it's about relevant information.

Oh! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, that makes a lot of sense, very constructive ;]

Therefore, I chose an image and will update the portfolio in the next days. :spot:

@Al Anselmo I'd avoid dutch tilt in the future. I think it's one reason behind the feeling of over-complexity. Another reason would be the number of moving parts in each image. One shot has five cubes in it, which is a lot more than in most portal maps.

Thank you, Mclogenog! I'll be more aware of it all.

I didn't know what dutch tilt was. Lesson learned :)

There are five cubes visible in the shot, but the player has only to be aware of a few of them. This will be clearer in the gameplay video that I recorded and will publish soon

@Jangalomph a little more color variety (subtle blue, green, or pink shadow tones maybe?) would really bring this to life. I like the light shafts a lot too, but I think the air would need to be a little denser (more fog or some particle effects?) for it to be so sharp.

@AlexM I'm not sure what the game is, but for vertical combat you might want to stagger the floors (kind of like a pyramid). That way if players fall, they might land on the next floor down, rather than all of the way on the ground, which I assume would mean death. It might also be nice to give those stairways more cover; nobody like fighting on stairways (they're one of the most difficult kinds of choke-points), and you probably won't want to isolate flow to each floor. It really depends on the game, though.

I hope that helps!

I sat on my hands for the past 2 weeks and did pretty much nothing. But, in the last few days, I managed to get some work done on my TF2 map crackaz. Once the opposing team has control of the center point, the remaining two points are available for capturing (double spy cap anyone?? :P )

View from blue spawn area with first cap behind stairs

P2GOY.jpg

First cap area

q4FBF.jpg

View of both red caps and red sniper "nest". The area behind those windows is directly attached to red spawn but blue can still access it if really crafty. (a good scout or spy could easily get there)

kizO2.jpg

View of center point from the red cap seen on the right in the previous screenshot.

MhXmD.jpg

View of center cap and one of blue's points.

YaXfe.jpg

Whats behind the windows as seen in the right side of the previous screenshot + access to the higher floor for covering center point. These stairs are immediately accessible by both teams without heavy resistance.

yjpBH.jpg

Closer view of the previously seen blue point. The opening there leads to the "back rooms" + blue spawn.

hqz8E.jpg

View of center point from other side with previously seen red cap in the bottom right.

pTeDi.jpg

View of the second blue cap

rN5IY.jpg

View FROM blue spawn of the "back rooms" area available to both teams, but difficult for the opposing team to get here.

7BoaU.jpg

Before I go any further I really want to test this map for blaring obvious problems and layout spiffs. Whats the best way we/I can go about testing this? Id love to involve mapcore if at all possible.