WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

It looks sourcy. Not in a bad way though.

Looks really good, liked the ship-shot the most. Was Dear Esther an influence? :)

Dear Esther was one of my main influences :) along with tomb raider, 'The goonies' (awesome film) and a bunch of other stuff which I'll write up in the next few days.

The map is for Hl2 : Ep2, chose it because of its cave assets. I maxed out the displacement limit which I hadn't foreseen foolishly, which limited what I did with the outdoors. I probably could cut down on the displacements in some places but I think I'm done with this exercise now.

what about the ladders and everything? the reason i ask is because i made something similar some time back and the reason i stopped was actually the lack of assets...

it's a given that it looks awesome. i'm also a bit curious as to how you managed to create some of the holes in the displacements, especially those that seem asymmetric. this was also a major problem of mine.

The ladders and logs I also made myself. I've uploaded the vmf along with the assets for you to take a look at, its still validating at the moment so wait a bit.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21144957 ... es+SRC.rar

Before i started the structures of the cave I had a look at what tutorials were available on them, as well as looking as other examples. I managed to take a look at the EP2 .vmfs and noticed instead of using one brush for say 6 displacement faces, they used 6 brushes which overlapped each other . I couldn't really understand why at the moment, but I followed the same example and realised why they had done it when it came to sculpting the caves. It made sewing the disps together and subdividing them so much easier, the only downside I found was view ports became a confusing mess. Anyway its rather difficult to explain so Ill let the vmf do the talking.

Cheers :)