WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

":214e2taa]The Vulture, it looks nice and busy. Which may be both good and bad! :)

Is this just a scene, or also a game environment? Cos whatever critique you may get on this, knowing the goal of this will change it all. If it's art only, it's getting there! :)

Thanks for the comment, mate. It's actually a game environment, I'm making an SP map for Crysis. Why? Isn't it good?

Here's an earthquake scene I threw together real quick, so it's very WIP. I know the sky is overly bright.

00080c.jpg

Here's an earthquake scene I threw together real quick, so it's very WIP. I know the sky is overly bright.

00080c.jpg

Looking good, I like how much attention you put in the details, for instance the water coming out of that pipe.

The thing that bothers me is the presence of vegetation in the gap between the cliff and the flat terrain. If the earthquake was recent enough to leave a car in flames and that noboby fixed the running pipes, I'd guess grass or ferns didn't have time to grow on a surface that was underground only moments ago. There should be only roots and rocks in there IMO, maybe a few fallen leaves too.

Good work anyway, you've clearly got the knack for detailed sceneries. Keep them coming!

while it looks good, it still retains a weird aspect of the cryengine, specifically with the bloom (and how it differentiates between blurred and sharp objects) and the plastic-ness of the materials/meshes. it's really annoying, because it is honestly destroying the scene. also i don't think i have ever seen this before in the cryengine, or at least not as much as with unreal...

It would be nice to see a time-lapse of creating a scene like that.

Do you mean my pic, mate? I usually work like this (open the pictures in tabs to see the difference). This is not exactly how I do things (I disabled stuff by category, didn't actually take pic by pic), but it's pretty close.

First I just shape the basic terrain. Doesn't have to be all smooth as most of it will be covered up with brushes. Also trying to get some terrain textures in there to get an idea of where I want my objects to be placed (brushes, vegetation, entities, misc stuff).

00083.jpg

Adding some entities, such as small objects and clouds.

00084i.jpg

Then getting some vegetation in there...

00085m.jpg

Finally setting up the brushes but the scene still looks pretty bad so...

00086j.jpg

... decals and particles should do the trick!

00082n.jpg

while it looks good, it still retains a weird aspect of the cryengine, specifically with the bloom (and how it differentiates between blurred and sharp objects) and the plastic-ness of the materials/meshes. it's really annoying, because it is honestly destroying the scene. also i don't think i have ever seen this before in the cryengine, or at least not as much as with unreal...

Haha, funny you should mention that. I was actually just playing around with the DoF and Sharpening tool for the ToD. At that point I thought it was looking good but yeah, surely looks worse once you spent some time looking at it. I will absolutely not let the player run around with the sky looking like that, nor having DoF at such intense levels.

Also here's the real pic in higher res:

00082n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's exactly what i meant. very interesting, thanks!

I uploaded a video showcasing my workflow if you're still interested. Obviously not the same amount of detail as in the earthquake shots, but you get the basic idea. The scene turned out okay, it still requires a lot of fine tuning before I'll be happy with it.

Also did this pretty late at night, so I was a bit tired! Anyway, enjoy the video. Remember to watch in 1080p! Also read the video description for additional info.