Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

I don't know why others enter but for me it's a great exercise in rapid prototyping. Most of my coding projects these days are month-long affairs that can get pretty tedious and will most likely involve a lot of refactoring. It's a nice change of pace to quickly make something and get to dabble in a lot of different tasks like art, coding and sound. If I get frustrated in one area, I can work on the other. I guess the main point is it's fun :)

On that note, if you take a look at the winner of last years competition, it's actually a pretty fun game. A easy to get into action RTS. The games are not necessarily all crap. Granted a large portion probably are...

Also there's no reason you can't refine it after if you feel inclined to do so.

I don't know why others enter but for me it's a great exercise in rapid prototyping. Most of my coding projects these days are month-long affairs that can get pretty tedious and will most likely involve a lot of refactoring. It's a nice change of pace to quickly make something and get to dabble in a lot of different tasks like art, coding and sound. If I get frustrated in one area, I can work on the other. I guess the main point is it's fun :)

On that note, if you take a look at the winner of last years competition, it's actually a pretty fun game. A easy to get into action RTS. The games are not necessarily all crap. Granted a large portion probably are...

Ah cool, oh and I forgot to write, instead of 48 hours, why not a full week, heh. Anyway, yeah I could see it help train in quick prototyping for sure, never thought of it that way. I guess it also gives people reasons to actually do something. That said, is why I asked, hehe :interseting:

Ah cool, oh and I forgot to write, instead of 48 hours, why not a full week, heh. Anyway, yeah I could see it help train in quick prototyping for sure, never thought of it that way. I guess it also gives people reasons to actually do something. That said, is why I asked, hehe :interseting:

Heh, a week would be great, but I can see myself choosing a project too large in scope at that point then not realzing it until around the 6th day in. There was recently a 9 day RPG challenge, I was thinking about entering it but ended up getting a temp job in construction.

Anyways, here's a timelapse I did of the game's development. Kind of cool to watch, the second half is better because there's more art though.

my first attempt at a RTS map. still got some polishing and testing to do. I think I want to keep working with this editor, just think of how awesome an http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVjPoq1BwE-themed custom game would be?

overview.jpg

if anyone want to try you can find it by searching "volcanic elevation" at battle.net/sc2 custom map browser. and if you do, please tell me what you think.

I'd have it so there is only 1 entrance to the base, I know there's rocks there, like blistering sands, but they are the most annoying thing ever. Looking at it more, it appears to be the turtling terran's dream. Just plonk some siege tanks and bunkers at the chokes and pow. I'd also change the high yield with the natural in the centre, makes more sense to have them in the middle, harder to defend but worth the income they give.

I'd have it so there is only 1 entrance to the base, I know there's rocks there, like blistering sands, but they are the most annoying thing ever. Looking at it more, it appears to be the turtling terran's dream. Just plonk some siege tanks and bunkers at the chokes and pow. I'd also change the high yield with the natural in the centre, makes more sense to have them in the middle, harder to defend but worth the income they give.

Thanks for the feedback

Wouldn't removing the rocks make it even easier to turtle? My initial thought was that having two entrances would make turtling more difficult and sort of remedy the easily defend-able natural expansion. I had anticipated that this was more of a "mid game"-oriented map because it's fairly easy to defend the first chokes while the mid-expansions are pretty difficult to defend. Air should also have an easy time sniping (esp siege tanks) near the main cliff.

I actually had the gold minerals at the middle expansion to begin with, but I thought the other spot would be more difficult to defend because of the distance from the main. I guess this doesn't matter as much as I thought. I'll change it and give it a few tries.

my first attempt at a RTS map. still got some polishing and testing to do. I think I want to keep working with this editor, just think of how awesome an http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVjPoq1BwE-themed custom game would be?

overview.jpg

if anyone want to try you can find it by searching "volcanic elevation" at battle.net/sc2 custom map browser. and if you do, please tell me what you think.

Very cool! How did you go about doing the mirroring? I am thinking of working on an SC2 map myself, but I am wondering if there is an easy way to mirror sides, or if you just have to do it by eye.

Anyways, I have been working on my lighting techniques with the Source Engine. I am trying a method using a desaturated 'light' entity supplemented with a darker more saturated 'light_spot'. I think it creates a pretty nice effect. In the screenshot below, I have a desaturated yellow light, with a darker orange spotlight.

tc_hangar0013.jpg

Thoughts on how I can improve it?

Thanks for the feedback

Wouldn't removing the rocks make it even easier to turtle? My initial thought was that having two entrances would make turtling more difficult and sort of remedy the easily defend-able natural expansion. I had anticipated that this was more of a "mid game"-oriented map because it's fairly easy to defend the first chokes while the mid-expansions are pretty difficult to defend. Air should also have an easy time sniping (esp siege tanks) near the main cliff.

I actually had the gold minerals at the middle expansion to begin with, but I thought the other spot would be more difficult to defend because of the distance from the main. I guess this doesn't matter as much as I thought. I'll change it and give it a few tries.

Just because there's some rocks there won't discourage turting. In fact it's probably better to do that with those rocks there, because you can just cover them easier. The thing with the cliffs is all you would need to do to defend your siege tanks for example is plonk down a few missle turrets or bunkers with marines. And as you're turtling, this won't cost you much. So yes, definitely going to be seeing a lot of air on this, I think. Which isn't a bad thing.

Very cool! How did you go about doing the mirroring? I am thinking of working on an SC2 map myself, but I am wondering if there is an easy way to mirror sides, or if you just have to do it by eye.

There's no real mirror function or anything (though I haven't used RTS editors before, so I don't know what a function like that would look like). You can copy-paste-flip terrain, which is what I did. Once that is done, the rest will have to be by eye. Maybe there are some tools I don't know of, I haven't used the editor enough to be completely sure.

dux: thanks for the added criticism. I received some other concerns for the main as well, so I'm going to see if I can change the main a bit and upload a new revised version.

There are way too many things in the third pic, and your vista is really tight. Maybe remove the bridge with the train that look really out of place.

Otherwise I like it, keep it up! :)