Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

I primarily use the rectangle tool and then the line tool to make specific changes. It's very shaky atm though, doesn't seem to do what I want it to. Plus when you delete a face, the lines are still left in place..

Dux, I thought you were already working on NS2? Or are you still using Hammer for it?

I've been working on NS2 for several months now with the editor long before it got released to the public. What I find is to use the line tool to create all your geometry and if you want to make a quick hole in something use the rectangle.

Oh sorry I read your post wrong! I thought you meant you were having a little problem lol.

I was working with the editor before it was released to the public too, Charlie sent me an email about it, but I think you had it a little before me.

What I see a lot of people doing is going way overboard on the use of props and it ends up looking like a jumble sale. I still incorporate a lot of brushwork into the map with the props to even it out and not look so overly busy. Hopefully the prop excitement will die down :P

The Dickinson residence, modeled with ~50% accuracy off the real thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Dickinson_Museum) with a cross-processing color correction filter.

I've been told that I should use detail props for the buttercup field instead of static props, but for a huge area like this (6000x6000) I think the hard-coded detail-prop fade distance (at ~1400 units?) would ruin the illusion of a full field. Even if the result doesn't look as good, I think I'd prefer a fuller looking field. Though either way, I'm pretty sure I have to use 1-bit alpha testing or else the overdraw will kill most computers, and thus it'll look more or less the same no matter what prop type I use. Thoughts, anyone?

I believe there's a client command to increase detail draw distance. However there's a per-prop detail sprite overhead and for a super full field like that it might be easier just to leave it as a prop_static. Just know that lod's is probably encouraged. ;)