Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

I think the barbed wires should go, they look out of place in the middle of the ground there.

Barbed wire fences are used to block of areas not 2 feet :P

I think the barbed wires should go, they look out of place in the middle of the ground there.

Barbed wire fences are used to block of areas not 2 feet :P

Well in war time, or at least in WW1, they used barbed wire to funnel enemy troops into MG fire, so they could be used to force the flow of enemy troops. I am working on desaturating the brick textures at the moment. I should have something soon.

popcorns has a interesting architecture, but the white wall texture is not that good, and also the lighting is a bit to regular.

solos looks interestig, bot i dont have enough knowledge about udk, to rate it.

mine_20041.jpg

mine_20042.jpg

mine_20040.jpg

i already posted these, but now im asking for a more detailed review, because as I said it was for a competition and it did pretty much lose.

I'm deep into scripting the Crysis level I've been working on for about 7 months now:

crysiscorwindev01.jpg

Progress is going smooth. I really enjoy the ability to draw shapes simply and let the engine figure the rest like altitude and waypoints, but also to be able to place waypoints by hand when necessary (close-quarters areas). I should reach a playable prototype around mid-december.

i already posted these, but now im asking for a more detailed review, because as I said it was for a competition and it did pretty much lose.
Simple, it's boring. It's black mesa all over. Come on, do something new, creative or just irregular instead of the same old boring story.

the idea behind my level is, that because the contest theme was mine, and i like sci fi, i would make a futuristic subway, leading through an old mine.

funny that you say the setting is boring because the winner made an allmost exact copy of the ep2 forest:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2704&d=1258793489

the idea behind my level is, that because the contest theme was mine, and i like sci fi, i would make a futuristic subway, leading through an old mine.

I wrote my ideas on the subject on the pictures. I hope you can make sense out of the mess :P

mine20040.jpg

mine20042.jpg

mine20041.jpg

Additionally to what I mentioned, I think your mine theme would have been more interesting if instead of the petrol lanterns you'd have used shining rocks or plants. I mean, a mine is supposedly to scavenge something, so rocks reflecting light or glowing would have provided a good way to lit the mine, would have made more sense (why would somebody go and place lanterns around in an abandoned mine?) and would have looked more immersed in the surroundings IMHO.

it Is supposed to be a abstract mix betwen new and old, we thought it would be intresting, to create such a mix to make people think about it, but the problem seems to be that its not that clear, that its wanted...

anyway thanks for help, will try to adress it.

oh and thats supposed to be the visual focus, making it memorable.

Excactly, and by having two randomly placed in a garden isnt what i call funneling ;)

Fair enough. I moved/removed the barbed wire and added displacement to the buildings edges for snow and created a little snow trim overlay as a substitute for modifying all the textures in my map :D

ps_snowstorm_rc110014.jpg

ps_snowstorm_rc110015.jpg

That truck, the silo, the walls, sandbags, building in the 3d skybox are all missing snow on them... either it snowed and everything got snowed on or it should look like there was some activity to clear snow off of stuff.