Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Next up is derailed, I made many of the lighting changes mentioned earlier, added for etc. I have to step back and do a bit of optimization. Anyone happen to know if the source engine loads all skins on a prop model or not? I'm hoping it doesn't (have a few props with 6+ textures on them).

I'm afraid it does load them all, even if you don't use them. There was a discussion somewhere a while back... might be on the hlcoders mailing archive.

oh man seriously? This could mean I have an entire weekend of prop recompilation ahead of me :(

Eh not really. Just take the qc, copy, change it's name to a letter different, strip the skinfamiles, etc.

Then open CMD and do "cd %sourcesdk%\bin\orangebox\bin" (Or Ep1?), and do "studiomdl.exe "%sourcesdk%\..\sourcesdk_content\mymod\modelsrc\tree\tree01_a.qc" and then let it compile, hit up, change it to b, etc.

Or see if there's actually a preformance hit/use the skins :P

Next up is derailed, I made many of the lighting changes mentioned earlier, added for etc. I have to step back and do a bit of optimization. Anyone happen to know if the source engine loads all skins on a prop model or not? I'm hoping it doesn't (have a few props with 6+ textures on them).

I'm afraid it does load them all, even if you don't use them. There was a discussion somewhere a while back... might be on the hlcoders mailing archive.

oh man seriously? This could mean I have an entire weekend of prop recompilation ahead of me :(

Eh not really. Just take the qc, copy, change it's name to a letter different, strip the skinfamiles, etc.

Then open CMD and do "cd %sourcesdk%\bin\orangebox\bin" (Or Ep1?), and do "studiomdl.exe "%sourcesdk%\..\sourcesdk_content\mymod\modelsrc\tree\tree01_a.qc" and then let it compile, hit up, change it to b, etc.

Or see if there's actually a preformance hit/use the skins :P

yeah it's a few cases where we have like 6-10 texture variations for vehicles and containers, some for winter environments, some for desert etc.

Thanks for the info regarding that though, I was scratching my head on some tex memory usage stats on that map.

ps_derailed20060004.jpg

ps_derailed20060005.jpg

I think the backdrop really kills an otherwise nice looking map here. There's just way too many similar shapes and heights going on there. Imo it'd be so much better just removing some of the chimneys and try to add some larger silos, more industrial rectangular buildings and maybe one or two really unique ones.

I think there's a lot of cool stuff in this picture:

Kurashiki_city_mizushima_industrial_area.JPG

I'm really tempted to try a Assassins Creed cityscape in Source.

6a01157043f616970c011571e69451970b-800wi

that would be 2 easy? :)

Well what I'm trying to do is spend an entire month on one project, and nothing else.

I want to take an idea, block it out, model stuff for it, texture it, etc, and completely flesh it out into a final detailed portfolio piece.

Every time I've tried it before I've gotten something half decent and then given up. So I want to try and combat that by spending an entire month on exactly one project, and nothing else.

And it would require quite a few models for what i was thinking about which is good practice.

bjg76w.jpg

Little something I haven't shown around here... Funny story really. As I was getting geared up for my month of only working on one thing I ended up trying to finish this the day before I start my month.

Fog and skybox need some work.

I'm really tempted to try a Assassins Creed cityscape in Source.

6a01157043f616970c011571e69451970b-800wi

that would be 2 easy? :)

Well what I'm trying to do is spend an entire month on one project, and nothing else.

I want to take an idea, block it out, model stuff for it, texture it, etc, and completely flesh it out into a final detailed portfolio piece.

Every time I've tried it before I've gotten something half decent and then given up. So I want to try and combat that by spending an entire month on exactly one project, and nothing else.

And it would require quite a few models for what i was thinking about which is good practice.

sounds pretty cool for practice but I'm sure something you invented yourself would make a better impression on a portfolio....