Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Awesome work SpicyTanuki. The only thing that bothers me is the low level of geometric detail in the road compared to the rest of the scene.

good point, I'll look into improving it. I'm not super happy with my texturing or the geometry on the road currently.

Awesome work SpicyTanuki. The only thing that bothers me is the low level of geometric detail in the road compared to the rest of the scene.

good point, I'll look into improving it. I'm not super happy with my texturing or the geometry on the road currently.

I really like the scene, but the road might look better if it had a cobblestone curve to it, so that the middle of the road is the highest point and it bends down at the gutters to make sure rainwater isn't stuck on the streets.

Hi Tanuki - scene is shaping up really nicely so far, but the two things that bug me are the road and kerb texture. The road texture seems to be stretched a little bit and looks too soft and the kerb texture doesn't seem to be doing anything at present. Not sure where you're going with dirt/grime or if you want to keep it really clean, but even if you're doing that I think a bit of dirt and wear around the bottom of things and in corners etc would help it come alive a bit more.

Oh, another thing that I just noticed - left hand side market stall thing - there's a really blurry airvent type texture there at a weird angle. Looks very odd. Sort it or remove it. I'm still not too keen on the wood texture you've got on the frame of that thing either as it looks a bit low-res, though you may not be able to do anything about that.

Nit-picking aside, coming along very nicely. Nice job mate.

Spicy,

you need more light in the street, add light coming from the shop windows or something, your hiding all the wonderful detail there.

some of the kanji are backwards too, the white and brown banners on the left, and the white and red ones on the right.

hehe I was recently made aware of that, I'll make sure that's fixed before I start to render out the final stuff

Spicy,

you need more light in the street, add light coming from the shop windows or something, your hiding all the wonderful detail there.

I just made a new skydome (with some clouds) to try to bounce the light inside, hopefully these renders are a little better. As for the shop windows, I'm kind of cheaping out right now with semi-reflective windows to avoid doing the interiors. I plan to do the interiors at some point but I looked at my reference photos and kind of came to the realization that the interiors would take way longer than the whole scene itself. I do want to do them at some point soon though. This would also explain the number of closed storefront garage textures.

EDIT: just looked over the reference photos and realized I'd neglected to do all the outdoor light fixtures. I'll get on those next.

Hi Tanuki - scene is shaping up really nicely so far, but the two things that bug me are the road and kerb texture. The road texture seems to be stretched a little bit and looks too soft and the kerb texture doesn't seem to be doing anything at present. Not sure where you're going with dirt/grime or if you want to keep it really clean, but even if you're doing that I think a bit of dirt and wear around the bottom of things and in corners etc would help it come alive a bit more.

Oh, another thing that I just noticed - left hand side market stall thing - there's a really blurry airvent type texture there at a weird angle. Looks very odd. Sort it or remove it. I'm still not too keen on the wood texture you've got on the frame of that thing either as it looks a bit low-res, though you may not be able to do anything about that.

Nit-picking aside, coming along very nicely. Nice job mate.

All good points. For the market stall, since it's unwrapped I just may gie it a bit of a retexture. I'll do a big dirt pass on my stuff very soon, a lot of it is tiling textures, so I'll have to lok into multiple UV chanells (I've never worked with them before).

Also I tried redoing the street texture, hopefully this one is a little better.

Thanks for all the crits and comments! :D

072.jpg

74.jpg

edit: ^^ I just realized the roof is a little nmessed :zoidberg:

Hot stuff tanuki :D.

aachen_040609ask.jpg aachen_040609bsk.jpg aachen_040609csk.jpg

Changed the lighting, rescaled skybox props, added... stuff.

Getting there.

Thanks everybody for the feedback ;).

- Albatros