Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

nice work popcornjake, what is it for?

That was just a randomn scene for poops and giggles, though i decided i'd make a deathmatch map with the same art style. However i can't keep working on it until i get a new computer as my current one has bummed out and the one im running now doesnt even have a agp slot. Seems like i've been having a really nice lucky streak lately haha.

it just simply looks wrong/faked. i better pull my eyes out of my head and throw them to the garbage. :???:

Hessi - as obvious by the HL2 Dev texture set, he was just playing with the technique. I am assuming because he posted it in the WIP screenshots thread that he was asking for constructive feedback, and not negative. In all honesty, he did a pretty good job, if the map was more developed, I believe that the technique that he used would look really cool.

So here is constructive feedback for Psy:

Nice work, but definitely need to have more of the level complete, which is obvious by the dev textures. One thing that could improve the tilt shifting is the use of more NPC's and objects in the scene. Maybe even making the scene larger, instead of constraining it to a room, maybe something like a warehouse floor? Or a large open air area, for example a car wreckers yard etc.. That is the only things missing from the screenshots, completion and a better use of objects/npc in a slightly larger scene.

I only took screenshots of that particular map to try out a tilt-shifting tutorial. :oops: It's nothing serious.

Heh and everyone here is having a nice ol' arguement about it.

I think its cool man, i'd definitely like to see it applied to what I said above though.

In some weird way, which is probably fucked up, then Hessi is actually one of the nice guys here. I'd rather have someone tell me something I made look like shit (with a valid reason like Hessi provided), than have people say its just ok. It's that kind of "elitism" if you want to call it that which I like about mapcore and the mapcorians in general. There are a few unique individuals here who really know how to give decent criticism and isnt shy about telling others when their work sucks.

my 2c

well i would never call myself elite. the point is: i have seen DOF/blur/"cheezy Photoshopping" in so many forums and each time the person seemed to shift the attention away from basic mistakes in content and scene creation.

i don't see a point in posting orange map screenshots in a forum. if you want critics to a concept, then the deal that matters is a playtest and not stupid screenshots. if he wanted to test some effect then this would be better sorted into 2d forum and not 3d/level design.

no intention to say that anybody is a loser here!

In some weird way, which is probably fucked up, then Hessi is actually one of the nice guys here. I'd rather have someone tell me something I made look like shit (with a valid reason like Hessi provided), than have people say its just ok. It's that kind of "elitism" if you want to call it that which I like about mapcore and the mapcorians in general. There are a few unique individuals here who really know how to give decent criticism and isnt shy about telling others when their work sucks.

my 2c

When people post their work there are feelings involved. There´s always a nice way to give criticism and starting by telling you your work sucks is not really the best. It´s not elitism, it´s just common sense. Who do we think we are to judge other people´s work? It may look like shit to you but saying that out loudly is not constructive feedback. Just point out what you don´t like and that should be improved and cut the "your work sucks, you should do things the way I wants!!!" crap. That´s elitist, disrespectful and breaks the forum rules:

2b. Criticism (WIP Sections)

In contrary to some people's beliefs, MapCore (and this board in special) has not been created to serve as hell hole which only purpose is to eat hearts and crush souls.

Users that post their work here come for constructive criticism, advice and the opportunity to showcase what they have created. Not to be demoralized or laughed at.

Nobody knows everything from day 1 and everybody has to start from the bottom. Even if the work is miles off your quality standard, wouldn't you be the best to know how hard and painful it is to learn how to make a fun level? Or a good looking one, which is also well optimized? Or an asset which you modeled and textured that actually resembles the reference picture you were looking at? Why make it more painful for the person who is still learning?

Instead - help them! You can still tell them you do not like their work. Yet, instead of dropping a useless comment like "That level is completely horrible", rather explain what aspects of their work stand out specifically for you and need improvement. Give them advice on how to improve, by posting reference pictures, tutorials, and other helpful information. You will see the novice improve and the community grow as a whole. Who knows? Maybe someday they will even contribute to a project you will be involved in yourself and you will be glad you made the decision to help that person out! :)

If you cannot be bothered and still have nothing constructive to say, do everyone a favor, keep it to yourself by not saying anything at all.

Members who violate these rules, depending on the severity of the violation, will either: first receive a warning or be temporarily banned with an accompanying email to explain why and for how long. Repeated violation will be punished with a permanent ban.

well i would never call myself elite. the point is: i have seen DOF/blur/"cheezy Photoshopping" in so many forums and each time the person seemed to shift the attention away from basic mistakes in content and scene creation.

i don't see a point in posting orange map screenshots in a forum. if you want critics to a concept, then the deal that matters is a playtest and not stupid screenshots. if he wanted to test some effect then this would be better sorted into 2d forum and not 3d/level design.

no intention to say that anybody is a loser here!

The whole point of this thread is exactly to act as a playground where people can post rough tests and ideas and that includes orange maps. If his idea turns into a serious project he will probably start his own thread.

Don´t be so hard on yourself Hessi...

Hessi, I understand where you are coming from. I also think that DOF is used too often as a cheap trick to make weak scenes look more flashy, but please be more careful with your choice of words. As mino already said, lines like "this looks ass/shit/etc." are frowned upon and you could ask first for more information behind the shots. As it turns out this was merely a first test of the effect, not a tool to pimp the scene. At the same time Psy, you could add some more info to what you post in the future, just to avoid confusion :)

Thanks!

The point is, it wasn't DOF but tilt-shifting. So Hessi was off base to start with. Let's keep this argument going forever XD No, really, I'm just kidding.

Pretty cool experiment Psy, I didn't even know you can do that in a game engine. Ignorance would probably be why. Mind you, that technique freaks me out on photos, looks cool though.

popcornjake, cool scene, kind of has a Stalker aesthetic / vibe to it.