Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Here's another little update, added smoke sprites and god rays. Also some more texture tweaks and made light maps where i thought it was necessary.

iteration23.jpg

I just need to finish a few more props like extra vines and the light posts, and then its almost only texture polishing left =)

The god-rays are very subtle yet great! I just think it's getting more of a good-sided enviroment (gameartisans in this comp i suppose) with the effects and the evil is mainly the anonymity of the place and the kind of dark-labs and left-city look. An idea I'd try out would be to lower the most foreground pit in the mid as if done by an earthquake or as an entrance point to all evil. Allthough the "evilish" part of that would need to be subtle as well to not destroy the overall feel of the scene. (not sure if I could make the point clear :S )

i think it's about as good as it gets, however i'm too sure about the god rays... i mean the sky looks cloudy, so i dont think it really fits. smoke looks sweet, and you should add some under the bridge so the transition to the fog looks more complete. or do something else about the transition, i dont know, think of something ;p

@ Punky:

It feels a little bit too linear. I'm not sure what direction your wanting to head to in regards to theme, but I'd love to see more wires/piping perhaps in the lower sections of the map and a hint or industrial/sewer.

Here are some more suggestions that I think would look nice:

-Needs more age! Like a variation of brick/concrete/metal textures to give the feel of a city being built ontop of itself.

-You can do more with the sky, perhaps more buildings, a distant mountain etc

-Needs more non playable spaces to give the feeling of "more out there"

-I know your not finished with the lighting, but it could be tweaked to look really sexy. Perhaps less white light and more crisp shadows where it can be done

-More decals and props!

-Not sure about those 3 green weapon/ammo creates stacked like that in the last shot, your messing with the consistency that Valve setup (there where none of those used for decorative purposes in the game). You should use some other green/military/metal prop there instead.

Do you have a download link so I can run around the map and check it out?

i think it's about as good as it gets, however i'm too sure about the god rays... i mean the sky looks cloudy, so i dont think it really fits.

I disagree. God rays give the feeling the sun is shining through a hole in the clouds, which makes sense considering we don't have overcast lighting in the map :eng101:

Yep, these rays are a nice touch in this atmosphere. Often we saw rays when the wheather is cloudy so they have their place here IMO.

Also, you should listen the suggestions of aaron_da_killa, I love his ideas and indeed it could be add a "plus" in your map wich is already amazing!

Continue like this!! :)

god rays can only exist if sunlight shines through something, like clouds in this case =). And yes they are "faked" (like in pretty much every game that's not crysis). Its basically juts a plane with an additive texture on it, which works pretty well even from other angles =).

I'll try to do some more work on the fog and paint a new sky =).

god rays can only exist if sunlight shines through something, like clouds in this case =). And yes they are "faked" (like in pretty much every game that's not crysis). Its basically juts a plane with an additive texture on it, which works pretty well even from other angles =).

I'll try to do some more work on the fog and paint a new sky =).

man if only i was half as productive as you. i envy how you put so much effort and passion into this one scene to make it look flawless. i'm looking forward to see how a real game looks with the things you have implemented.

Just wanted to throw this in Pericolos0.

I don't know if it's just me but throughout the whole process of you making this, the texture for the dirt ground irks me, I know it's trying to be 3d but at the same time the way the hill curves it doesn't feel "natural" you know what I mean?