Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Tom - am I missing a joke or are you unaware you can rotate models in Source?

I've not messed with Source enough to place a model, I've just made some brush rooms. Maybe it's not rotating I'm thinking of but scaling. Can you not scale a model in Source?

he has an unreal bias :P

I sure do. ;)

Hey. Here's a few shots of a deathmatch map I'm finishing up.

Oh, hey, Lunaran showed me these :)

Gotta say, I really like it. Love the simplicity of the design. Good lighting choices, too. Shot 3 definitely stands out, but I really like 2 and 4 as well. Only thing that sort of stands out to me is the building to the back left in shot 1. Tough to see what's going on there... maybe just a bad angle. It almost looks like the windows have windshield wipers? :) I'd be curious to see that up close.

you can only rotate. No good scaling, or mirroring. Its sad really.

Quoted for absolute truth. I don't understand why they don't allow scaling or mirroring props :(

I know you have to renormalise the normals after scaling and also change the winding order when a model has been mirrored, but I'm sure they could've supported both. I especially hate it when I have a modular model (256, 128, 64, etc) but I can't fill in small gaps because there's no 32 and/or 16 unit models. E.g. if you have a 160 unit long section of ceiling and need to fill it with pipes, then you have a 128 unit long pipe prop and no 32 unit prop to fill the small gap left. It's great when you can plan around this, but it's hardly ideal when you have some rough bits to fill.

Furthermore, having to to potentially create two models at different scales so you can use one in the skybox is also maddening.

Lack of support for model scaling is indeed incredible sad. It would make so many things so much easier.

Especially when e.g. placing stuff like rocks or plants in outdoor areas. With just rotating you can't really place more than 2-3 of them near each other before people notice the the similarity. If I also could scale them, then it would open for a lot more combinations giving greater maps with less models.

The current trick I use to simulaet size is to move rocks and palms more or less into the ground. Horrible cheap trick, but kinda the only option atm in Source:/

I'd wager it's a conspiracy by neurotic programmers afraid that their designers are too stupid to use reasonable scale :P

Only other editor I'm aware of that officially supports model scaling was the Serious Sam editor, and they applied that to everything - helllooooo ridiculously sized enemies. ;) You can do it in Radiant with some incredibly terrifying rotation key fiddling (one number in each set represents size) but it's not highly recommended.

Well, Sandbox features scaling of models. Sounds like not too much to ask for :?

As for the mentioned example of natural props such as rocks, trees etc. there are plenty of other neat features to quickly place, replace and scale sets of vegetation. There are also max. min. scale values to assign a random scale to the placed prop to achieve scale variation without having to edit it on an individual basis.

Oh, hey, Lunaran showed me these :)

Gotta say, I really like it. Love the simplicity of the design. Good lighting choices, too. Shot 3 definitely stands out, but I really like 2 and 4 as well. Only thing that sort of stands out to me is the building to the back left in shot 1. Tough to see what's going on there... maybe just a bad angle. It almost looks like the windows have windshield wipers? :) I'd be curious to see that up close.

Appreciate it :)

Changed the windows for the observation deck area. For some reason those things never even registered as windshield wipers to me, I just overlooked it. Doh. Replaced the whole wall with something a bit better, with breakable_surf windows.

Final build just finished compiling. Hopefully I get this out before the end of the night.

City Terror 2 Short Video - Click

Video was made by the project leader. Really short but shows a few nice things. :D Graphics might be made more detailed but we'll see. Im covering the graphics/modelling area.

On the right are also two Survival TC gameplay videos. Another Duke3D projects you guys might be interested in. :P I have nothing to do with it though.

Some what inspired by the ep2 woodlands, I have started work on a whole new set of models and textures. This is what I have so far, new tree and foliage models and some new ground textures.

redwood_1.jpg

redwood_2.jpg