Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

1 hour ago, HoMaRt said:

Hey guys, been a long time i didn't post anything i have been working on : Here is my recent work : Yorkshire Dales vista, All rendered in UE4 dynamically (foliage is using volume light sample to receive GI, but still not perfect in dark area,caused by the way the foliage tool work... )

More Screenshots on my artstation !

Yorkshire_1920.jpg

Great work man! What software did you used for making the trees ? 

3 hours ago, HoMaRt said:

Hey guys, been a long time i didn't post anything i have been working on : Here is my recent work : Yorkshire Dales vista, All rendered in UE4 dynamically (foliage is using volume light sample to receive GI, but still not perfect in dark area,caused by the way the foliage tool work... )

More Screenshots on my artstation !

Yorkshire_1920.jpg

Really cool. Love the photorealism we're approaching with shots like this on UE4!

Crits would be aliasing going on, especially on the grass sprites (image compression or spotty alpha masks?). The grass is also a little overly rigid. The sky is kinda weird, looks like it should be more blue to match the shadows on the clouds.

For the crispness of the grass, i guess it's the sharpen filter in photoshop. All you see is dynamic except the very far far object but i guess we can't see them from the screenshot, i'm using the cascade shadow map in the near distance and the distance field shadow map for the far away object and then i switch to static lighting (but can't really be seen). The far object (trees and foliage) don't move otherwise i will get artifacts with the distace field lighting. For The Gi i'm using the indirect lighting cache calculated by lightmass, but have it fails to give proper quality with the grass(and of course grass and small assets are fully dynamic :p) due to some limitation with the way the ue4 foliage tool work. Not perfect but still acceptable ;) For the sky i tried a volumetric texture to give a lot more volume but had a hard matching with the rest of the environment.Plus these clouds are heavy on performance (losing 10-15 fps when visible)

@Corvus I had fun testing speedtree for creating the tree,really powerful, i may stay in one application for next projects : https://gumroad.com/l/EazyTreez (looking really interesting).

Edited by HoMaRt
Corvus answer

11 hours ago, squishy44 said:

4 years later I'm still not done

4D2E70C7B5D0B9BC0E56A2E2680B11759699BB7CVAgZgMK.jpgM80RxfP.jpg

Looks really good though. High HL2-authenticity! :D

On 8/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, Sjonsson said:

Making for some assets for some level design assignments. Not very experienced with particles but damn it's good fun! :D

DnC9wJ8.gif

Particles are really fun to make, I love doing them. Kind of a secret art form but in reality they are not too hard, unless you want to do insane stuff. 

On 2017-08-20 at 5:45 PM, 2d-chris said:

Particles are really fun to make, I love doing them. Kind of a secret art form but in reality they are not too hard, unless you want to do insane stuff. 

Word! It's so damn rewarding. 

Yeah, I feel like the hardest part is understanding how different shader-models will work together, like what happens exactly when you put an additive shader ontop of a multiplying shader on top of an alpha-blended. What would the visuals results be? What happens with contrasts? Color blending? etc

It's like you almost need to understand how the shaders work on a code level.