Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Was away from my main computer and without internet for a while, so I started this project in CS:GO just for fun, idk if I'll finish it or not and I can't really see how I'd make the gameplay work, so I think it'll remain as a just for fun expirement. The roof was a real bitch to make in hammer. It's very loosely inspired by the shrine scene from the anime Nisemonogatari, if I do continue the project I'll try to surround the area with bamboo like in Nise.

348942577775C2D2B0E4444AD5124DE430D802507303332E889507FE66D3FEE81F8F332147495BCBF64E5BF6CB120656A46BD70A0C6654137D72A796

Edited by garthbartin

Thanks.

What could I fill the open area with? I've got a lot of space and I'm not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?

Edited by garthbartin

Thanks.

What could I fill the open area with? I've got a lot of space and I'm not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?

Well, you could of course make the map smaller to begin with :P . If it is going to be a defuse map, you will need 2 bomb sites. For decoration, you could make a rock garden with a waterfall or something, or you can make it a martial arts training temple.

That's the golden question really, you usually run into such troubles when you just throw some stuff together without really planning it.

Look for photo reference and simply take notes of areas that are the kind of scale you'd like, then you should have a list of assets and structure changes you need to do. Also CS (and allot of other games) have very compressed scale to add boundaries and such, so take that into account.You don't need to show everything to give the feeling of a setting and working by yourself you prob won't be able to, so, do you want to make a temple, a village, a forest with some buildings, mountain pass? If your ambition is to do all of those you have your work cut out :)

I always liked the contrast in Rainbow Six, some maps are really small warehouses with every room accessible, verses the large open terrain of their snow wilderness with just a few lodge buildings. Don;t bite off more than you can chew, pick your battles.

When I make a rough layout I usually find my scale is a bit big, I've not yet met a level designer who nails the scale first time, when art starts to go in it becomes all too apparent - you do get better over time and experience though, changes are less severe the more you do it :P

PS: the answer is not to add more stuff into it, problem is structure and scale ^^ can solve this with elevation changes, large visibility blockers (buildings, cliffs etc) and only then should you try and fill spaces with props.

Edited by 2d-chris

Fuck yes, this is the kind of creativity CSGO needs!

How are the sightlines? Does everything in this map render at once?

EDIT: And Eyce, you will have problems having the spawn door open directly to that control point.  But the aesthetic looks nice so far.

Edited by JeanPaul

I have yet to do any optimizing in the map with rendering and what not. But its been extensively play tested since the beginning but im still looking forward to the playtest on the mapcore server.

Anyway, the sight lines are medium to long at most areas, has a peaking area in mid (much similar to dust 2) a fast rush but dangerous bombsite B and longer but semi safer bombsite A.

What I think makes this map really fun though is the incorporation of vertical combat. There are catwalks all over the map and offer a slight advantage but also disadvantage since you're an open target from anywhere on the map. 

Eventually there will be a massive crane and some Oil Drill models. Azgag(Mike Taret) is helping me with this project, as models and textures.

I really like this so far.

Be careful with the catwalks - something I learned with MP design is player funneling. If you give the players TOO many options, it spreads everyone out and the battles are all over the place.  Sometimes fewer options is better.  But I dig it so far and look forward to testing it on the server.  Get it in the next test, for real dawg.

needs more as_oilrig remake. :D

Seriously, though, I dig the hell out of oil rigs! I'd encourage you to look at more elevation changes from one side of the map to the other. The upper catwalks are nice, but I think you'd get a much more interesting structure with a few tiers of elevation, plus you could create some really interesting gameplay around the bomb sites with elevated firing or defensive positions.

needs more as_oilrig remake. :D

Seriously, though, I dig the hell out of oil rigs! I'd encourage you to look at more elevation changes from one side of the map to the other. The upper catwalks are nice, but I think you'd get a much more interesting structure with a few tiers of elevation, plus you could create some really interesting gameplay around the bomb sites with elevated firing or defensive positions.

There are some elevated defensive / offensive spots. I couldn't really get a good shot of everything, but there is more.

I really like this so far.

Be careful with the catwalks - something I learned with MP design is player funneling. If you give the players TOO many options, it spreads everyone out and the battles are all over the place.  Sometimes fewer options is better.  But I dig it so far and look forward to testing it on the server.  Get it in the next test, for real dawg.

Yeah I know what you mean, originally we had more catwalks, and three floors. Ive reduced the amount of options there are, and in the most basic gameplay it is similar to standard competitive layouts. Dont worry, itll be in the next playtest, hopefully some more models too!

And Eyce, you will have problems having the spawn door open directly to that control point.  But the aesthetic looks nice so far.

Thanks for catching that out, I forgot to go back after doing that triangular ceiling to the roof. This is just enough to prevent viewing 2/3rds of the point.

rpRCCAl.jpg

In other news, flank corridor. Length subject to change.

JBBKidW.jpg