WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

3 hours ago, Rump3L said:

@Lizard Thanks man, means a lot to me.

Just had an idea to throw in a cheesy aim map to play around with theme setting and ideas. 
Though, I don't know if its just me but can't help it, still feel like the lighting is not completely done, 
like to me it still feels a bit flat as if a bit more of a contrast was missing somehow (feeling it the most in the 3rd picture f.e.). 

Or maybe I just keep staring at it too much and need to take a step back lol. Tbh Ravine has an epic job done to it on a similar weather & time setting

I think that's just par for the course, night themes naturally have softer lighting than day ones, unless you're sprinkling around big contruction lamps.

Well, that's not entirely true . . I mean if you're doing an urban theme, a night version would have more contrast than a day one, but I think it holds up here. I believe csgo's version of source has had bloom removed (or, it's been removed from the settings, anyway) - which makes it more difficult to insinuate brightness well on anying other than point lights. But again, I'd say the windows here don't appear bright enough to warrant it. For reference though, I'm pretty sure Ravine just has light sprites over all the windows / other light sources.

Also, looks like Ravine has a noticeable amount of moonlight, with much much darker ambient lighting, whereas you seem to be going for an entirely overcast theme. I assumed that was intentional, but if it wasn't, that's definitely a way to get a bit more contrast.

Just uploaded my map fy_orbiter onto the workshop. You can download it here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2296600013

It's an otherwise very simple fight yard map, but I thought I did a fine job with the garden area:

Spoiler

thumb.jpg.932d2146fa457f323ab76eb1782c98a9.jpg

I also like these video screens, which I made using VMT proxies and SpaceEngine (TV frame is from de_breach):

Spoiler

20201122134533_1.jpg.8a290351a3ec816a849205cb5779b3d5.jpg

And finally, here's (part of) the skybox I used for this map that I exported from SpaceEngine, used on a different map:

Spoiler

20201124131356_1.thumb.jpg.47dd410fa58db5d1ce2335684661598b.jpg

If you want to export a good looking skybox from SpaceEngine without a Pro Version:

1. Set SpaceEngine's resolution to a 2:1 aspect ratio (for this map, I set the resolution to 4000x2000)
  2. Set the projection to cylindrical
  3. Take a screenshot in PNG format
  4. Use a panorama to cubemap converter, such as this one, to convert the PNG screenshot into six separate cubemap files
  5. Rename the cubemap sides to their proper names.

If you used the Panorama to Cubemap tool I linked to, the renaming should be:

• nx -> bk
  • ny -> dn
  • nz -> lf
  • px -> ft
  • py -> up
  • pz -> rt
Edited by sn0wsh00
spoilers

Alright. Here's a look at my new map, Paradise 2. Working with Sir Thomas (Stardust, Submerged, Coverup), iiTwins aka Kroketmayo (Pithead, Aurora), Jayk_of_all_Trades, and Jonmcbane.

Still very early, but here's what we've done in about 2 or 3 weeks worth of work.

unknown.png

More map images:

Spoiler

unknown.png
unknown.png

Can't wait to post more updates, and eventually write my MapCore article.

Cheers,
TheOnionChef aka celery

Hey all. Sorry I've not been around very much recently! Had a lot going on IRL and with work. Hope you are all doing well!

Been working on this scene for a while now but finally finished it up. You can check it out on Artstation. This has been a really fun project and I've learned a lot about UE4 and environment art in general. Really wanted to push myself to learn some new software. Speedtree is amazing!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bK8EPn

liam-tart-shire01-high.jpg?1606614513

liam-tart-shire02-high.jpg?1606614523

liam-tart-shire03-high.jpg?1606614533

On 11/30/2020 at 4:04 AM, albim75 said:

ar_Dome

Soon to be released

20201128135829_1.jpg

20201128135900_1.jpg

20201128140033_1.jpg

Hey! Maybe it's too late now but here's some feedback for the future. Looking at those screens it seems that the theming is all over the place. There's so much stuff to look at, but nothing gels together. I have no idea what that space is supposed to be. It looks like it's a greenhouse, but also a Florida resort, a tropical forest conservatory, that was abandoned, then some remodeling was done, but then they ran out of funding and abandoned the remodeling efforts too. And then some pipe bursted and flooded the warehouse in the basement ?

You definitely have the skills to build maps, but for next maps, I'd suggest to work a bit more on the theming. Take a look at every major CS map and you will notice that they usually have one very strong theme, that makes it easy for people to remember them ("the castle map", "the ruins map", "the office map", "the middle eastern map", etc...). Best luck!

On 12/8/2020 at 9:25 PM, Minos said:

Hey! Maybe it's too late now but here's some feedback for the future. Looking at those screens it seems that the theming is all over the place. There's so much stuff to look at, but nothing gels together. I have no idea what that space is supposed to be. It looks like it's a greenhouse, but also a Florida resort, a tropical forest conservatory, that was abandoned, then some remodeling was done, but then they ran out of funding and abandoned the remodeling efforts too. And then some pipe bursted and flooded the warehouse in the basement ?

You definitely have the skills to build maps, but for next maps, I'd suggest to work a bit more on the theming. Take a look at every major CS map and you will notice that they usually have one very strong theme, that makes it easy for people to remember them ("the castle map", "the ruins map", "the office map", "the middle eastern map", etc...). Best luck!

Hi Minos and thank you so much for the feedback!!

I agree that the map need a theme...it's really important :D

The background of the development of this map is rich of many changes along the year. At the beginning this was a map for a competition and it was much much less detailed then todays version and had a different theme.

I didn't post the description for the submission in the forum, but basically this is a abandoned aviary (or birdhouse) with a biome inside.

I agree with you that there are too many "Architectural/design" elements inside that don't fit with the theme...unfortunately I enjoined more then expected the creation of these assets ?

I will follow your suggestions and try to stay focused, so thanks again!!!

I've been working on a AIM/AM map for CS:GO, with a twist. The game initially plays out as a collection of six 1v1 matchups. After 15 seconds, the doors to each arena will unlock, allowing players to walk to other arenas, or to fight it out in the hallway connecting the six arenas. There will also be random sets of weapons each round (AK vs. M4, Tec-9 vs. Five-Seven, Sawed Off vs. Mag-7 and so forth).

Overall, I envision the map being like a collection of six movie sets, each themed after a CS:GO map. This is why you can see some skybox textures on walls, as they are meant to be something akin to LED screens. Here are how the arenas look like so far:

Sugarmill/Swamp:

Spoiler

20201217181512_1.jpg.8b292a215bb706e694fce8fa545f6723.jpg

Aztec/Ancient:

Spoiler

20201217181536_1.jpg.edb22d5bda393b710da61246817f0da9.jpg

Dust/Mirage:

Spoiler

20201217181549_1.jpg.628841dc6bdebc3b5f23f3abe74931b8.jpg

Cache (closely based on the official 1v1 Cache arena):

Spoiler

20201217181606_1.jpg.d20377774f6fc0b9124471a9c920a4e3.jpg

Italy/Inferno/Canals:

Spoiler

20201217181729_1.jpg.46451d4be60098b0b4974cf393eb0a4c.jpg

Subzero/Monastery:

Spoiler

20201217181702_1.jpg.b7affe68e2804156ae9fbdc1bdc834cf.jpg

Hallway that connects the arenas:

Spoiler

20201217181753_1.jpg.b4430250f863feebea43bb24548b34ad.jpg

You'll notice some red buttons in the hallway screenshot. Pressing those red buttons will teleport players into the arena, after a two second delay. I added these buttons because there is only one entrance into each arena, which I think would make it really easy for someone to camp inside an arena. In turn, allowing players to potentially teleport behind a camper would be a good way to balance things out. Also, requiring players to stand still for a couple seconds before teleporting prevents players from cheaply teleporting away in a hallway fight.

Finally, I plan on creating a spinoff version without the connecting hallway. Instead, the map will teleport surviving players to a 7th arena after some time. I also plan on creating separate 1v1 maps for each of the arena.

Edited by sn0wsh00
spoilers, reword, added image