WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

59 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

Details/realism, whatever, what i'm saying is you don't put the focus on the right things. But whatever, I don't even know why i'm even losing time with you.

Given that this is your first reply to the WIP thread since August 2018 and it just so happens to be on my 3 week old post thats 2 pages back from the most recent page, no likes or replies to any others, I really got say why are you "losing your time" on me. But then again, im just an "Amateur" so what do I know.

7 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Given that this is your first reply to the WIP thread since August 2018 and it just so happens to be on my 3 week old post thats 2 pages back from the most recent page, no likes or replies to any others, I really got say why are you "losing your time" on me. But then again, im just an "Amateur" so what do I know.

you are being super tedious right now.

Seeing as I will be on vacation for the next week, I wanted to get this out there. You already got a sneakpeek of A, so here is B:

509694290_BTLongview.jpg.997a7b2e138ea944b60d5ab84ce9c8e4.jpg

1518717782_Btopview2.jpg.edf9b4729633a22a2fcd675efae2ad04.jpg

403808498_Bsite.jpg.c19957360a4460b48f24b175d5260a99.jpg

And the overview. At this point there is barely any resemblance with what Oakwood once was, but it is very recognizably the same idea. So what do you guys and gals reckon, does this deserve its own thread or do I continue posting in the Oakwood listing?

planetarium_a33_radar.jpg.dc0a5f0f3ce3539750986e0ca5f03d5f.jpg

(#Everything is wip and those light balls aren't usually present, that was just a weird compile error... does anyone know a cause?)

(workshop link: check it out! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1693753275)

Edited by Freaky_Banana

1 hour ago, fewseb said:

Actually I check it from time to time, but when I saw your post I thought "I'd better give him a feedback like the way he does" ;)

2 hours ago, Interfearance said:

Much adue over rebar. Can everyone calm tf down. Maybe you should suggest what he can replace it with instead of regurgitating the same points of criticism and adding invalid ones out of spite. 

There were suggestions

On 4/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, blackdog said:

I think its one of those cases where being too faithful to a reference hurts the final product, it’s waaay off the left field for people not to notice and criticise. It just looks dangerous, as in I can’t see how people wouldn’t get their foot stuck in there, so it’s not inviting to be used. I mean, in real life is not meant to be used, so the natural reaction in game is to stay away as well.

You can achieve the same intended effect of metal noise by using metal grills such as this heavy duty stuff used in building sites as well as public installations (catwalks leading to natural beauty spots for eg)

https://images.app.goo.gl/hyKEcqySkpkrUotx7

I would convert the left side to a concrete ramp (or wooden! if the map represents a site in early development). Or make a fully finished concrete set of stairs, but one side has wooden board on it to make a ramp. A ramp would make a lot of sense for moving heavy building materials up and down the height difference, and would be accessible if the final site is intended for public use (not moving goods). Ultimately I think would look more logic/organic.

~

I’d like to see this in context, as in: I’m a bit sceptical that such small positioning difference is so advantageous for one team or the other, it sounds wrong. Not that it’s a bad idea to differentiate peek spots, but the closest example I can think is underpass on Santorini and the two angles are separated by a wall and there’s an accentuated difference in the way you walk up to the spot that makes sense. If there has to be a clearly more advantageous way to peek, than I argue that you should have a clearly different variant (like forking the path to go indoor and come out from a window/door or you peek from a platform which you would have had to choose to get up to before getting here)

Taking criticism well is an art-form in itself. Unless the critic is downright rude/offensive, it's generally intended to be helpful regardless of whether it comes with constructive suggestions or not, and should be responded to with thanks rather than defensiveness. Afterall, you can recognise that something is bad without necessarily knowing how to fix it, and in those cases staying silent about it definitely isn't going to help.

@text_fish Admitting you wrote a comment about someone's work because you didn't like the way they criticize other people is bad enough, but not even closely looking at the screenshot and saying the detail is botched is worse. Never saw a barn with 2 steel doors, took me less than half a second to realize it was a bathroom. The art of dealing with feedback is not straining shit, it is finding what to implement, consider, and discard. I agree about the pointing out errors and not suggesting an implementation, but intent and content of feedback both matter.

Im open to criticism and feedback, ive already looked at different ways of changing the stairs so they might flow better. However, as anybody whos ever posted their map on reddit or the steam workshop would know, there are different kinds of feedback and not all of it is helpful, this is one of those time where it was not helpful. He did not offer any potential solutions or changes, he just said it was wrong/bad and left it at that. Thats about one notch above the kind of feedback you get on the workshop telling an area of a map is shit and you should just delete all of it. 

I also find it humorous that so much time was delegated to an area of my map that is ruffly equivalent to this part of dust2.

20190430201947_1.jpg.fb3329157ced529a9be1e3df5cc3e0c4.jpg

Its like saying that areas too messy and it distracts the player, sure it might, but its not that important.

I originally made the stair post because I thought it was a could example of how far an area could go with a single mapping session to make it look better and more believable as well as what game-play affects its might have. I also wanted to share the process of how concrete stairs were made because it was tough to find and Ive seen several instances where mappers just had to guess how. It was a fun fact, that whole post was just supposed to be a minor fun fact about stairs and what I did to improve an area visually.

I also find it funny how his whole point in doing this was to teach me some kind of lesson or put me in my place because of my posts in the Overwatch thread, the first one I made there was pretty mean spirited because I hadnt thought about the fact that people who actually worked on Havana were the ones who posted it, and I was genuinely sorry to have offended those peoples map that they had poured hours into against a tight deadline.

Every other post I made on that thread however was me questioning why they did certain things and why they didnt do others, we disagreed in the end but I accepted they had to work under constraints that most CSGO mappers dont have to deal with.

Meanwhile Mr. Carpenter replied with a simple STFU, called me an amateur and then half-agreed with me but said I was being mean, which was true.

The funny part is while I was rude at first, I contributed what I thought could be different and gave suggestions, they responded and that was the end, he never suggested anything other then to look into detail density, which at a cursory glance on google doesnt bring up much, had nothing to say when I responded then acted like he had just owned me.

So now im going to say, 1. Im sorry for being rude on one post in the Overwatch thread, I didnt think about who would read it and how they would be affected by it. and 2. Im sorry I posted a fun fact about stairs, clearly I didnt know what I was getting my self into when it came to stairs.

Id like it if my next post could be an actual WIP pictures for my map instead having to argue about the proper balance of rebar and stair in a public walkway.