WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

Looks great!

Any tips on ongrid surf ramps? This isn't working too well. 

Sadly on-grid surf ramps are never going to work unless they're entirely flat. I can't really think of a way to explain why other than the fact that surf ramps need to have a consistent cross section or gradient.

If you really need to avoid off grid vertices I'd suggest exploring converting your ramps to models or making them in modelling software in the first place.

Otherwise, this is a pretty decent tutorial on how to make the most consistently bug-free surf ramps: http://source.gamebanana.com/tuts/10863

Amaran: It feels like Quake 1, great mood. A bit dark, you could decide what you want to show in the composition and light it a bit. Snow on stuff could be more consistent, some elements are covered with snow and some are naked, looks weird but dude, I'm waiting for more screens, it got me excited! :)

Cool, ogier, long time no see. Worked with it at sbz1.

Wow, that looks rad, Amran! :)

Amaran: It feels like Quake 1, great mood. A bit dark, you could decide what you want to show in the composition and light it a bit. Snow on stuff could be more consistent, some elements are covered with snow and some are naked, looks weird but dude, I'm waiting for more screens, it got me excited! :)

Thanks for the feedback! The Starbreeze engine is brush based with splines, so it lends itself well to the Quake style. I highly recommend Enclave for all the great level design the folks at SBZ did.

Lighting dark levels for me has sometimes proven a bit tough, so suggestions on this is always helpful. The games default brightness seems to be a bit higher but didn't come through in the screen captures. Does it seem like it should be brightened overall?

There are definitely spots where I may have taken liberty with the snow in order to line everything up. Although tempted to bring in some custom materials, and even try adding projected snow textures, I decided to instead work within the limitations of the original set.

I'll put some more details in the thread once I get around to posting it. :)

I've been inactive/offline for the past 2 months; life hasn't been easy on me.

I'm slowly getting back to my pending projects, some of them for more than a year now.

I see the site has changed graphically (interface), for the better, and I noticed a LOT of new members that I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm toying around with a night setup/3D skybox for the upcoming 3rd map in the New York trilogy (after East Borough and Brooktown) for CSGO.

Here's a quick shot from a test map:

g60elkv7f4527rn7g.jpg

I'll be posting WIP threads once there is solid progress on these projects (for CSGO as well as for Black Mesa and Pirates, Vikings & Knights)

Cheers

Tried to jump on the night map bandwagon to see how my map looked like on different condition, I still think it looks crappy D:

ohziOp1.jpg

QhH11Hm.jpg

Those stairs going down are supposed to lead to underground metro.

Also, will2k that skybox looks aweeeeeessoome! I was thinking of using something like that for this map, just a bit more Dubai themed, still have not decided about the night theme though :P

Following my good friend Squad's advice, I further dimmed the dark bits of the cityscape; the results look much better

stjahek8rbd3pvp7g.jpg

To get a better view of the night setup/skybox, I went ahead and made another test map, slightly more urban to get a proper feel of the skybox.

kfa03k0is85kg9q7g.jpg

0ii5x225ktfcwu07g.jpg

I'm sorta getting nostalgic vibes of Deus Ex 1 ( the mission when JC Denton goes to NYC's Battery Park) :-D and I like it.

Edited by will2k

Following my good friend Squad's advice, I further dimmed the dark bits of the cityscape; the results look much better

stjahek8rbd3pvp7g.jpg

To get a better view of the night setup/skybox, I went ahead and made another test map, slightly more urban to get a proper feel of the skybox.

kfa03k0is85kg9q7g.jpg

0ii5x225ktfcwu07g.jpg

I'm sorta getting nostalgic vibes of Deus Ex 1 ( the mission when JC Denton goes to NYC's Battery Park) :-D and I like it.

Don't hate me pls, but to me it still seems a bit too bright. Generally a good idea would be to have some sort of 3D Skybox fog to blend the colors a bit, but not too much to make the buildings not visible. Also, those big buildings. I'm wondering if you are having them in the 3D skybox itself or are they just giant brushes in the map geometry? If so, you can have less complicated buildings inside the 3D skybox and add a single cubemap. It would make the building reflections look awesome.

It gives me Duke Nukem vibe, anyone else feel the same? :P

stjahek8rbd3pvp7g.jpg

kfa03k0is85kg9q7g.jpg

0ii5x225ktfcwu07g.jpg

looks sick!

reminds me of standing on Queens side just off the Queensboro bridge, just need to add the bridge!

can't wait to play this one!