cl_leveloverview messing up (cs:s)

Marcos

Hello again. Haven't been mapping for ages (as you might have guessed) so here goes another Q:

I'v been trying to create an overview and radar for my new cs:s map. At first it worked all just well, but a design change in my map forced me to make a new one. Problem is that now cl_leveloverview isn't my friend anymore and dosn't work like it should.

OK, it worked fine the first time i tried (I could see the whole map and everything was neat), but now most of my map turns green. When I try to move around, some bits appear and some disapear. Like there is a difference in where the spec. cam. is in the world.

Commands I have used/tried:

fog_override 1

fog_enable 0

r_skybox 0

cl_drawstaticprops 0

r_novis 0/1

r_portalsopenall 0/1

cl_maxrenderable_dist 30000

cl_leveloverview 1,2,3,4,5 ect.

cl_leveloverviewmarker 1024

At first I thought something was wrong with my map so I tried the same thing in de_dust but I still get the problem as you can see on the attached screenshot.

Anyone know whats wrong here?

Hey,

Making minimaps in general is a pain in the ass, I agree. I'll tell you how I create mine step by step (for a mod not CSS), maybe some step will clear it up for you?

sv_cheats 1

cl_drawhud 0

impulse 200

noclip

fly from the center of your level up while looking down, until you see the whole level

cl_leveloverview (best to know the correct number before doing it, so maybe do it twice, once to find the correct number, and do it again, cause it might start to fuck things up if you change or move the camera a little).

As you mentioned, as soon as you move the camera, whole sections can disappear on you, so it's best to go central and make sure you got it all in one go. I have had minimaps where I had to move and take separate

screenshots from the whole level, and combine them in photoshop.

Hope this helps somewhat? :o

I believe the green is video related, you have a ati card like me?

A workaround might be to set a maximum render distance in worldspawn, i believe you get a black background that way, or the env_fog settings, I forget.

Otherwise you could consider disabling the sky visgroup and add a box around your map with the sky texture and a dark rexture on the bottom just to create the overview.

I did something simular just to remove rooftops on buildings that players could access.

Some other tip, cl_drawhud 0 also removes the 1024 marker so you have to use that one once you have the map fit to the box and are ready to make the screenshot :-)