Furyo

How to break in the games industry - an insiders' guide

Any reference about sources to find average salaries? Several companies require a salary proposition in the application.

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/1108/game_developer_salary_survey_2012.php

It's very "liquid", there's few factors that will shape the salary: skills, experience, your and company situation, location and so on...

Thank you very much Seir, that article is very informative, even if examinating the US prominently, it surely provides a good idea of how things are going. Will read it in detail.

Yes, I could imagine there's a very wide "fork" between different levels, my problem is determining a minimum: I don't have previous experience in a professional environment so i can only consider myself a "Junior". I should also relocate to countries of which I don't have a clear idea about the cost of life. (My work experience abroad was very peculiar - I was given a place to stay, the company you could say was "family run".)

Instead of creating a new thread, I'll use this one.

Hi everyone, as some of you already know I'm new here and made just some posts and a very simple model. So, I'm working to improve my skills, but sometimes I don't know what to learn and where to go.

So:

My objective: Work with 3d modeling and texturing at the game industry.

What I'm doing:

• For the moddeling, I'm learning 3DS max using the Autodesk Learning Channel at Youtube.

(

)

• Simultaneously, I'm studying drawing at drawspace.com, after I improve my drawing skills in a acceptable level, I'll start with Photoshop (Including materials, UV's, baking and so on)

Art background: More than handle with vertices and bakes, I think an art background in extremely important. Because of that there are come art books in my shelve.

So, to reach my objective I'm working on: 3D modeling, 2D (Photoshop, materials, blah blah blah) and art backgorund.

My obstacles:

• Time: My current job is nothing more than a time consumer. The professional development is zero. It's just a tool to pay bills.
  • Directions: Sometimes I see myself wondering if I need to learn and spend time with a specific subject
  • Age: I'm way old (I'm 22) and given my skills, I'm late. Very late. (Actually, I see this as my biggest weak point).

After reach a higher level, I'm planing to study something related to art, not just for learning new things, but to build a network.

Some advices? Ideas?

Given you have talent, and some time to practice, you "could" get a junior position in a game company in perhaps 3-4 years if you practice very hard and In that time produce a scene of the kind of work you want to do.

I don't think 22 is too old to get started, it's more an issue of being willing to earn less than what your current job would offer in 3-4 years. You really will start from the bottom and work your way up again.

Good luck!

Not strictly related, but guess it can be interesting to know: Canada wants tech talented workes and enterpreneurs (http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_23261666/canada-comes-silicon-valley-poach-high-tech-workers?source=rss_viewed)

22 really isn't too old. Remember that most university graduates will be only 21 or 22. I got my first dev job at 22 (junior role) and you'll find you're probably the youngest person in your studio at that age.

Edited by Jord

1st of all, i missed smth or why do we need D3 store links ? :)

2nd, do you know what do you want to do ? environments, charactes, level art, level design ?

i assume you want to model smth, so check out eat3d or 3dmotive to get some really good tutorials - and model what do you want just to make you want to finish it, if you like cars - try to model a car, ect

I have been experiencing a situation where I am given quite a few design tests from different places. I finish the test on time as expected and as closely as possible to the requirements. I then have the experience of being told they do not plan to move forward with my application, which is fine, but I have no idea what happened. Was the test not done correctly? Was there another applicant they preferred more? Was the position filled just before I finished the test? Did I at least get close but no cigar? was I completely off mark? Do they not hire people with Mohawks? lol

Each time this happens I make it a point to ask for feedback on the test. I either receive no response or a response saying that they are not allowed to provide feedback on the test.

This is the only time in my entire life where the design process is a guessing game with no way to further improve my abilities due to a deliberate lack of communication.

It's a very difficult situation to be in. I wish there was a screening process that was more transparent, I prefer brutal honesty over no information at all.

Edited by Castle

I have been experiencing a situation where I am given quite a few design tests from different places. I finish the test on time as expected and as closely as possible to the requirements. I then have the experience of being told they do not plan to move forward with my application, which is fine, but I have no idea what happened. Was the test not done correctly? Was there another applicant they preferred more? Was the position filled just before I finished the test? Did I at least get close but no cigar? was I completely off mark? Do they not hire people with Mohawks? lol

Each time this happens I make it a point to ask for feedback on the test. I either receive no response or a response saying that they are not allowed to provide feedback on the test.

This is the only time in my entire life where the design process is a guessing game with no way to further improve my abilities due to a deliberate lack of communication.

It's a very difficult situation to be in. I wish there was a screening process that was more transparent, I prefer brutal honesty over no information at all.

Just out of curiousity, where was this? You can PM me the answer if you don't want it public.

I've read an article a few months ago about this, and they can't say to basically shield themselves from lawsuits.

I would gladly sign a waiver for tests in the future if this is the reason why lol

What would be the best option for someone who loves playing games and is wanting to have a career in the gaming industry? I skimmed through a lot of posts in this thread and have a general idea on what to do once you get started with the right mind set; however, I am wanting to see what I need to do from scratch. I have some good use with social media and close connections with some owners of the bigger gaming companies that host tournaments.

What tools do I need to get started? I am currently going to school to be a software engineer, but I haven't started any actual engineering classes as of yet due to the grueling core classes I have to take to get there. I am interested in some programming but I am really creative and good with my hands; I also haven't really looked into what I need to do to start getting some practice in before the engineering classes start. What would be the best thing for me?

p.s I am really sick at the moment and on medication, so this post may or may not make much sense...sorry in advance 

Hey Maarti, I would open some level editors of games you enjoy playing, if your not sure if they support modification just google it. Most people I know who got into game development got started by making maps/levels/missions of some kind. It's a relatively easy way to get into game development as a whole.

I would add that location is just as important as a killer CV/portfolio, especially if you're just starting out. For myself living in the UK I have found it really tough, even to land a testing job. 

Basically I was living in the north of the UK, Leeds/Bradford. I had an interview with Rockstar Leeds but the role wasn't the right fit for me. All other applications I was making outside the city I lived in were not resulting in interviews, despite returning from working abroad with design experience on a highly successful franchise.

My wife and I started to use my parents address in London, and eventually that worked. I got my foot back in the door of the industry at Sega and my wife got a job also.  The UK has fewer opportunities than it did in the so called golden years. Industries change, whether its mobile or f2p, and I got caught out as a young designer thinking I would be able to get a job back in the UK. So my final advice from a lesson learnt is don't assume once you get into this industry, that it means you're 'in'. It has taken me a while to figure out how to return, and a lot of time and support from my family.

Edited by AkatsukiUK

Thanks for sharing, yeah heard about the problems in the UK just recently by chatting with another fellow Mapcorean. Bites: I moved here thinking there were lots of opportunities. Well, definitely more than the deserted Italy...