Furyo

How to break in the games industry - an insiders' guide

13 hours ago, grapen said:

Oh, 20k annually is remarkably low for developed countries, didn't expect to hear that. Is that the case in London as well? I would love to hear from someone working in the industry in Sweden, through PM or whatever means.

When I was a junior about 5+ years ago I was on about £18k. That was at Codemasters in Birmingham. London will have higher wages since it is more expensive to live there but it might only a few more thousand a year and I doubt it'd make much difference since London is so expensive. 

20 minutes ago, Beck said:

When I was a junior about 5+ years ago I was on about £18k. That was at Codemasters in Birmingham. London will have higher wages since it is more expensive to live there but it might only a few more thousand a year and I doubt it'd make much difference since London is so expensive. 

Pre taxes? Fascinating. That would equate to minimum wage over here. Pretty much the same as someone working at McDonalds, I think.

Just now, grapen said:

Pre taxes? Fascinating. That would equate to minimum wage over here. Pretty much the same as someone working at McDonalds, I think.

Yep, pre-taxes. I think Codies is kinda known for paying less than everyone else though. I got a very nice jump in pay when moving to Rebellion and whenever I've looked at other jobs they've all paid more than Codies would have done. Until I told them I was leaving and suddenly they had the money I wanted :P

3 minutes ago, Beck said:

Until I told them I was leaving and suddenly they had the money I wanted :P

Yeah I know that all too well from my line of work as well :D money is not everything to me, but you want to be able to live a comfortable life. Thanks for the insight guys.

3 hours ago, grapen said:

Our taxes are a lot lower than yours, so in sweden it might be a bit higher, but i doubt much.

14 minutes ago, Vilham said:

Our taxes are a lot lower than yours, so in sweden it might be a bit higher, but i doubt much.

Ah yes, I didn't consider that at first. Good old 30% taxes, 50% if you freelance. :)

On 20/03/2017 at 6:35 PM, Vilham said:

Dunno what you are on now, but a junior LD salary in europe is about 20k euros. It is really low. Just be careful making the jump at this point.

Well what would one do at this point?

It's either buckle down and get through the first couple of years or  give up/go indie hoping your games will at some point be enough to sustain the family…

Live like a pig for a while it's worth it. If you're in another industry and higher up the chain but want to change, save some money up for the inevitable pay slash. It'll return eventually and with a bit of luck you're enjoying life more.

But seriously though, 20K is really really low. What does a senior make on average in Europe or the US? Or maybe someone in between?

Senior in the UK is about £30k+ I think. It seems to fluctuate a fair bit between studios. Level Designers really aren't paid all that much compared to other departments. :(

The US seems to earn about double what we make this side of the pond. But they have health insurance and the lack of job security so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.