Where's They Hunger: Lost Souls gone?

dux

• 1 month later...

Wow! So fresh topic with people, interested in They Hunger remake :)

OK, I have small information for you. Me and my team are currently working on They Hunger remake on Source engine. It looks much better (IMHO), than other attempts of remaking this mod. Below you can find links, where you can read more about subject:

http://hunger.romadoma.com/

http://www.moddb.com/mods/they-hunger-again/

As for me, I don't believe in some progress from Black Widow Games. Maybe they haveAny faced an unexpected financial or development problems (on new engine), so decided to leave mod aflot. One strange thing—is their strange dissapearing.

Anyway, currently we hard-working on this mod and hopes to publish it within some adequate time period.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Jaayu28 said:

yeah so turns out it was leaked back in february to the valve archive site, but those builds were taken down. Few of the levels are missing etc. It looks pretty rough honestly

Wow, what the fuck?

It’s like a really bad walking simulator. I think Neil Manke was a way better designer than that, there was no hint of walking simulator syndrome in They Hunger. He must have been hindered by something, distracted by his health, or something.

It starts getting a little bit more interesting around the 15 minute mark, could be that the stuff before it was WIP.

8 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Wow, what the fuck?

It’s like a really bad walking simulator. I think Neil Manke was a way better designer than that, there was no hint of walking simulator syndrome in They Hunger. He must have been hindered by something, distracted by his health, or something.

It starts getting a little bit more interesting around the 15 minute mark, could be that the stuff before it was WIP.

Maybe he wanted a slow atmospheric start, but ended up dragging it for too long. 

There's some good ideas there and overall interesting map design. I like that they make the most out of the spaces with overlapping routes and verticality. I don't know, I think they just overestimated how much more work this would be compared to a Half-Life mod. There's also less enemy variety to work with in Half-Life 2. That must have been frustrating. Then L4D comes out and it's so much better than what you could ever make.. and you basically quit.

Edited by Radu

6 hours ago, Radu said:

Maybe he wanted a slow atmospheric start, but ended up dragging it for too long. 

There's some good ideas there and overall interesting map design. I like that they make the most out of the spaces with overlapping routes and verticality. I don't know, I think they just overestimated how much more work this would be compared to a Half-Life mod. There's also less enemy variety to work with in Half-Life 2. That must have been frustrating. Then L4D comes out and it's so much better than what you could ever make.. and you basically quit.

It’s possible that he left the starting areas basic WIP, some really good designers have advised doing the beginning last once you’ve learned more about your mod. I agree some of the stuff gets interesting later on. But I also see where people earlier in this thread were coming from, it doesn’t look particularly fun or exciting.

1 hour ago, grapen said:

I remember back in 99/00 looking forward to each new episode. It’s been 20 years. 😱

The original mod still holds up, it’s awesome. (Just long AF)

for the first 15 minutes i thought it was a showcase of levels with no enemies or anything like that. It is said to be one of the two builds leaked. It looks okay (few neat elements here and there) i guess, but nothing spectacular and given it was going to be a full fledged paid game it's even more underwhelming.

Wow after about 15 years I get to see what my beloved THLS played and looked like. For how WIP it looked I thought it was pretty good! I really liked the slow intro and build up, I'm a sucker for that sort of atmospheric stuff. And don't forget They Hunger 1 had a pretty long intro + walking. Sure this could of been a bit shorter but for the most part it seemed pretty good! Some excellent work on display for mid 00's source. Definitely suffered a bit too much from HL2 assets, did still feel like it was still in City-17/Lost Coast at times because of that but hey, WIP. Seeing this now is pretty bittersweet as I would of loved this if it were to have been released.

• 2 months later...

If you wanted to play it, go ahead
Requires Counter Strike : Source, and Source SDK 2007 & 2006. There are two builds, one from 2006 (seen on the video), the other is an april 2008 build + list of commands and a map for the forest level (it's pretty big and confusing). It contains new zombies with new animations, more detailed maps, more maps too, new textures etc. It also contains a bug - the fire doesn't render and the first map is literally unplayable because of the broken vehicle, but it doesn't differ from the 2006 version.
Judging from what i've played, it isn't half as bad as i thought it is, especially the 2008 version. It feels bland without any of the story implemented, the radios give out a generic static, tape recorders are just a prop, it would've been nice to see any story behind it. There are many nods to the original, the levels are actually nice looking, zombies are well modeled. BUT I can see why it was described as nothing nice to play, sometimes the level progression is confusing and i mean confusing, the game also has those moments when it throws a bunch of zombies at you, and without modifying the skill.cfg it's a madness.

• 2 months later...

They Hunger is an iconic horror game for that time. What makes the game so unique? My answer is Neil Manke. Without him any TH remake I can't call They Hunger.

I played THLS. He has a unique approach to gameplay and level design. He knows where the player will look and use it to scare. Still remember how it was cool for the first time playing in a psychiatric hospital in the 2 and 3 parts with technical restrictions for that time. His stuff like cow skulls, ringing phones, lightning strikes, tape recorders, traps amaze me. Without any restrictions I see new features like very good vertical structure for levels. I can't tell any games with biometer or clip system. At least it should exist on some games, but I don't remember. Physical puzzles, especially pleased with the ventilation in the freezer. Also a great moment with a kerosene lamp which the wood fragments create a new path for the player after the explosion.

Neil was unable to jump above his head. THLS in some parts is a rather shortened remake of his trilogy. He couldn't write a new conceptual idea. I'd like to play a remake made by Neil. I am sure that his fresh look, rethinking and new sections in THLS would have made some noise today. We could write letters to him collectively, ask to fund on Kickstarter. But there is no point. Seems he decide to leave They Hunger f o r e v e r. I'm sad but at the same time I'm happy that we have TH.