dux

Where's They Hunger: Lost Souls gone?

Wow! So fresh topic with people, interested in They Hunger remake :)

OK, I have small information for you. Me and my team are currently working on They Hunger remake on Source engine. It looks much better (IMHO), than other attempts of remaking this mod. Below you can find links, where you can read more about subject:

http://hunger.romadoma.com/

http://www.moddb.com/mods/they-hunger-again/

As for me, I don't believe in some progress from Black Widow Games. Maybe they haveAny faced an unexpected financial or development problems (on new engine), so decided to leave mod aflot. One strange thing—is their strange dissapearing.

Anyway, currently we hard-working on this mod and hopes to publish it within some adequate time period.

yeah so turns out it was leaked back in february to the valve archive site, but those builds were taken down. Few of the levels are missing etc. It looks pretty rough honestly

14 hours ago, Jaayu28 said:

yeah so turns out it was leaked back in february to the valve archive site, but those builds were taken down. Few of the levels are missing etc. It looks pretty rough honestly

Wow, what the fuck?

It’s like a really bad walking simulator. I think Neil Manke was a way better designer than that, there was no hint of walking simulator syndrome in They Hunger. He must have been hindered by something, distracted by his health, or something.

It starts getting a little bit more interesting around the 15 minute mark, could be that the stuff before it was WIP.

8 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Wow, what the fuck?

It’s like a really bad walking simulator. I think Neil Manke was a way better designer than that, there was no hint of walking simulator syndrome in They Hunger. He must have been hindered by something, distracted by his health, or something.

It starts getting a little bit more interesting around the 15 minute mark, could be that the stuff before it was WIP.

Maybe he wanted a slow atmospheric start, but ended up dragging it for too long. 

There's some good ideas there and overall interesting map design. I like that they make the most out of the spaces with overlapping routes and verticality. I don't know, I think they just overestimated how much more work this would be compared to a Half-Life mod. There's also less enemy variety to work with in Half-Life 2. That must have been frustrating. Then L4D comes out and it's so much better than what you could ever make.. and you basically quit.

Edited by Radu

6 hours ago, Radu said:

Maybe he wanted a slow atmospheric start, but ended up dragging it for too long. 

There's some good ideas there and overall interesting map design. I like that they make the most out of the spaces with overlapping routes and verticality. I don't know, I think they just overestimated how much more work this would be compared to a Half-Life mod. There's also less enemy variety to work with in Half-Life 2. That must have been frustrating. Then L4D comes out and it's so much better than what you could ever make.. and you basically quit.

It’s possible that he left the starting areas basic WIP, some really good designers have advised doing the beginning last once you’ve learned more about your mod. I agree some of the stuff gets interesting later on. But I also see where people earlier in this thread were coming from, it doesn’t look particularly fun or exciting.

1 hour ago, grapen said:

I remember back in 99/00 looking forward to each new episode. It’s been 20 years. 😱

The original mod still holds up, it’s awesome. (Just long AF)

for the first 15 minutes i thought it was a showcase of levels with no enemies or anything like that. It is said to be one of the two builds leaked. It looks okay (few neat elements here and there) i guess, but nothing spectacular and given it was going to be a full fledged paid game it's even more underwhelming.

Wow after about 15 years I get to see what my beloved THLS played and looked like. For how WIP it looked I thought it was pretty good! I really liked the slow intro and build up, I'm a sucker for that sort of atmospheric stuff. And don't forget They Hunger 1 had a pretty long intro + walking. Sure this could of been a bit shorter but for the most part it seemed pretty good! Some excellent work on display for mid 00's source. Definitely suffered a bit too much from HL2 assets, did still feel like it was still in City-17/Lost Coast at times because of that but hey, WIP. Seeing this now is pretty bittersweet as I would of loved this if it were to have been released.