[Resolved] LoD with Source engine

Seldoon182

Hi guys,

I'm trying to compile a model with a Level on Detail model after a couple of hours to find a solution to fix my issue the LoD still looks buggy. Don't know why? My model display well in game except the LoD model. Here it is:

96a5b7b1-b9e7-4992-be28-37c5c3e14238

This is what I get when I remove a couple of poly then I give to a vertex the same coordinate (x,y,z) compared to the "main" vertex coz if I try to weld them on each other the model's compil crash... :???:

Do you guys know how to resolve it?

This is what I get when I remove a couple of poly then I give to a vertex the same coordinate (x,y,z) compared to the "main" vertex coz if I try to weld them on each other the model's compil crash... :???:

Do you just move your vertex onto another one or do you actually use the Weld tool (in 3DSMax I mean, if you use something else, I dunno how it's called or where it is)? The quickiest way to achieve that result would be to switch to Vertex editing, then click "Target Weld" and click on the two vertices you want to weld.

Sorry if you already know that, I don't want to sound condescendant, but moving one vertex to the same exact positions of another one doesn't merge them, since the edges between the vertices don't get updated/reassigned. I'd say the compiler crashes because you have 2 vertices too close to each other.

I'm working with 3dsmax 9.

I already know that tool Corwin. What I mean is the compile crash when I "Target weld" a vertex to another one that's y I tried to give the same position on both vertex then the model compile but the LoD looks as the picture on top. Mais c'est gentil comme même! Merci! ^^'

I've had issues where when I compile a model as an LOD it seems to have some kind of vertex noise, the model looks a bit messed (although not as bad as yours) but when I switch that same model to the reference slot in the QC it looks fine.

Definitely doesnt look that bad though,

if this happened in maya i would recommend freezing transformation and deleting history, dunno if there is something similar in max :oops:

Yeah that what ppl advise me. The 3dsmax modifier equal to "Freezing transformation" might be the Xform modifier which I had apply right on the screen before. About deleting history, I hear about a Stack modifier but seems it doesn't exist anymore...

I would think the similar way to do that in 3DS would be to use the Collapse tool and collapse it into a mesh. That merges all the history and modifiers in the stack. I found out that if I don't do that before exporting as ASE, the Unreal Engine will only be able to open part of my model and with messed up edges. Try doing that before exporting. It's a tool that should be by default part of the list, along with the Reset Xform (which doesn't hurt doing as well before you export).

I would think the similar way to do that in 3DS would be to use the Collapse tool and collapse it into a mesh. That merges all the history and modifiers in the stack. I found out that if I don't do that before exporting as ASE, the Unreal Engine will only be able to open part of my model and with messed up edges. Try doing that before exporting. It's a tool that should be by default part of the list, along with the Reset Xform (which doesn't hurt doing as well before you export).

None the less. I wish it could work but finally its still messy.

did you collapse the xform before exporting?

I tried everything with and without collapse.

also did you try compiling with the LOD as a reference just as a test?

When I keep my reference model as LoD everything work well except that this is no longer a LoD. :XD:

You shouldn't have to worry about collapsing XForms and stuff in Max. The IGame/3DXI interface my exporter uses "sees-thru" all the modifiers and gets the vertex positions, etc based on all the transforms applied.

That said, for simple props, I usually collapse/convert meshes to Editable Poly after I've done any LOD modelling.

That said you mentioned error (9)

Unknown replace model 'C:\Steam\steamapps\seldoon182\sourcesdk_content\pdark\modelsrc\pdark\sewers\gasdrum_reference'

Usually that means your LOD command is trying to replace SMD mesh A with mesh B but the compiler knows nothing of mesh A. Usually mesh A is the name of the smd you gave as the $body or $model command at the top of your QC. e.g.

$body studio "gasdrum_reference.smd"

$sequence idle "gasdrum_idle.smd"

$lod 20

{

replacemodel "gasdrum_reference.smd" "gassdrum_reference_lod1.smd"

}

$lod 40

{

replacemodel "gasdrum_reference.smd" "gassdrum_reference_lod2.smd"

}

Note in each case you are ALWAYS replacing the body smd, not the lod level before it.

I wrote a shed load of information on LOD techniques on the Valve wiki. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/LOD_Models