• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I fail to see how significantly improved or re-worked systems, new player characters + voice work, something like 17 (?) new weapons, new normal infected, 3 new special infected, and five new campaigns (as in, the entirety of the original game + 25%) that support the original game modes + one new one out of the box can't be justified as a sequel.

Good interview here: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1138

Sorry, I fail to see how significantly improved or re-worked systems, new player characters + voice work, something like 17 (?) new weapons, new normal infected, 3 new special infected, and five new campaigns (as in, the entirety of the original game + 25%) that support the original game modes + one new one out of the box can't be justified as a sequel.

Yeah pretty much. Was listening to an interview with Faliszek and, aside from it coming out just over a year after the first was released, I don't see much issue with releasing this as a full game. They even said they'd continue supporting L4D1 once 2 is released.

The setting alone justifies it, I think.

No one is angry that we're getting a sequel. People are angry that they paid $50 - more than any other Valve game over Steam - for an incomplete game with 4 campaigns after Valve told us they'd be adding new characters, weapons, maps and even videos like with TF2. It takes them 6 months to release the SDK, 7 by the time we can actually play custom levels, and they've already told us they're abandoning the game because it wasn't what they'd envisioned (they say they'll carry on supporting it but they absolutely wont make content for one game alongside separate content for its sequel, especially when they've told us they weren't happy with L4D).

It's not that L4D2 doesn't justify a sequel (even though I think there's still too much of the original underneath to call it a new game), it's that L4D1 didn't justify a $50 game in the first place and all the sort of content we were promised was instead being made as a brand new game from the moment L4D was released.

No one is angry that we're getting a sequel. People are angry that they paid $50 - more than any other Valve game over Steam - for an incomplete game with 4 campaigns after Valve told us they'd be adding new characters, weapons, maps and even videos like with TF2. It takes them 6 months to release the SDK, 7 by the time we can actually play custom levels, and they've already told us they're abandoning the game because it wasn't what they'd envisioned (they say they'll carry on supporting it but they absolutely wont make content for one game alongside separate content for its sequel, especially when they've told us they weren't happy with L4D).

It's not that L4D2 doesn't justify a sequel (even though I think there's still too much of the original underneath to call it a new game), it's that L4D1 didn't justify a $50 game in the first place and all the sort of content we were promised was instead being made as a brand new game from the moment L4D was released.

Read the shacknews interview that KFS posted. There will be updates for L4D1 starting next month, which will include updates to the SDK and community maps.

They will add the ability to play and package custom maps, something else which should've been there from the start.

Presumably Valve are actually going to support L4D2 with new content, and there's no way they will do that for L4D1 alongside L4D2. First, because of new features like random routes in L4D2; second, because if they decided to release that content for both games then what is the point in making a sequel in the first place; and third, if they release updates for L4D and separate updates for L4D2, then they're just fragmenting the community even more.

Plus, if they've been working on L4D2 since immediately after the first game was released, who exactly has been working on these updates? The ability to play custom maps is the last update we'll get, unfortunately everyone will move on to mapping for L4D so there'll be no maps to play.

you made my day :lol:

Anyway you should look at this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06 ... ittle-bit/

Concerning L4D2, I'm not that enthusiastic, but I'm sure Valve will do something better than what has been shown, because I found this early footage to be a bit bland and uninspired.

However I really like the man wearing a white jacket, reminds me of Tony Montana somehow.

New maps don't sell that well unfortunately :)

Look at the Steam sales charts when TF2 gets a free weekend/update. It's in the top 10 week after week as it is (along with CSS and CS), because people know the game will be supported in the future. They've only just released the SDK for L4D, and by the time anyone finishes a custom campaign, the sequel will already be out.

according to Valve's numbers, a 20% increase in players for each update. Even at £14 that's a nice bit of income for some quite middle-ground work.

Played it today at E3. The Durrr Analysis: if you like L4D you will like this. If you don't like L4D, don't buy it.

I liked the incendiary rounds cause you can only get 50 at a time but you probably don't want everyone in a co-op game to always use them at the same time cause then everything is on fire and when that happens, it's very easy for you and teammates to catch on fire as well which is not fun. Definitely an opportunity for strategic thinking, though.

I would like the new setting to have more atmosphere. The park level I played today was nice but a little dry imo.

Hmmm...

Excluding the HL2 Series, Valve haven't released a single game since DoD Source that I've actually enjoyed or played for more than a couple of hours before deleting it. Seems they're not about to change that any time soon. Makes me sad because I was such a fan of their work. :(

I had an "odd" email from someone at Valve about a month ago regarding a "L4D Project" and one of my tools. Suddenly it all comes together...