Sign in to follow this  
Seldoon182

Crysis 2

So there's a project on SA to make Far Cry 2 moddable, and that reminded me: Man, that Dunia Engine's a nice piece of work. It runs extraordinarily well for me, is fully open world, and looks almost or just as good as Crysis 1 (at least for the settings available on my computer for both games). Doesn't screenshot well, though, unfortunately. The grass self shadowing only really looks good in motion.

Also the fire propagation stuff. So sweet. Not just cool looking, but tactically useful. Like just about every single game session I end up lighting the jungle on fire to cover my tracks running away from guys, or launch a flare towards a distant copse of trees because someone's sniping from it.

Wonder why Ubisoft Montreal never did anything with it past FC2. By giving it a name and pushing it out there they seemed to WANT to. But I haven't heard jack shit since FC2's release. :( Wiki says it's "heavily modified CryEngine" (GoldSrc to Quake situation?), and it's vegetation, but nothing else, was used in Assassin's Creed. Kinda sad.

Dunia is (as far as I can tell) just CryEngine 1 with additional support for the effects they needed. The Quake to GoldSrc relation might fit it, although the changes are even more just aesthetical.

modular, with hp bakes for parts of the modules, a bit different to the 3dmotive tutorial which teaches some pretty odd things.

Thanks Rick.

lol @ high polies for an entire city, wtf man

Haha, I only meant high poly modular pieces. I think Gears 2 did uber high poly modular pieces for all of their building assets, granted they didn't need to make anything on the scale of Crysis 2.

Dunia is (as far as I can tell) just CryEngine 1 with additional support for the effects they needed. The Quake to GoldSrc relation might fit it, although the changes are even more just aesthetical.

i heard they rewrote the entire thing from the ground up

When Ubisoft and Crytek parted ways after Far Cry and a police raid on the Crytek offices in Coburg (pirated software was being used, and that little incident had been reported to the cops), they obtained the Far Cry engine and license as per the original contract they signed together. Ubisoft having funded the whole enterprise, they got their ROI.

They then took apart the engine and made Dunia with it, first called Nomad, around the same time as Crytek was making Crysis although it took a bit more time to eventually spawn Far Cry 2 simply due to game development, and not engine development. When Crysis and CryEngine finally came out, I believe Dunia was still called Nomad, but it definitely was its own engine by that time. They did get inspired by a lot of the tool sets developed for Far Cry and kept most of them (vegetation or road making being the main ones).

Still, I remember stories from programmers who had worked on that and how much shit they had to take apart code wise to optimize the engine for the consoles. Some genius apparently commented all his code in hebrew (being from Israel) which meant it had to be translated to even know what the code did...

Playing my way through again, taking some shots along the way:

2011062900006.jpg

Tribute to rhcp?