• 3 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only bumping this because the demo is out on PSN now. I played it tonight and sure does have that the QTE gameplay as seen/expected. I'm not totally sold on how it would hold up over a full game, but I enjoyed the demo. Even the QTE fight sequence wasn't really that bad. The writing and acting is pretty good, though we the lip sync could use work (oh...nm...it's a video game so I should be forgiving).

Anyway, the demo has me wanting to see more of it. Anyone else play it?

Yeah played the demo yesterday. I thought the voice acting was pretty horrendous to be honest. Considering that this, at least in my opinion, one of the few things they really have to nail to make it work, then it just constantly took attention away from the otherwise fantastic presentation. Sounded like most of the lines were rushed and said so unconvincingly that it really detracted from the overall experience. It does seem like they dropped the ball on voice acting portion of the production. Especially when you consider how great voice acting in games have become, even in games where it's completely insignificant, and then you have something like this where its of the utmost importance where it takes you out of the experience.

The fight in the apartment was really cool, even though I went back and tried it again and even though I did it completely flawless the second time then it more or less acted out exactly the same as before. The climbing up on the muddy hill gameplay was amazing too, I can't believe that how well it worked having you press and hold every single button one after one, was pretty freaking cool :D

Anyway, still quite interested in this one, if nothing else then it definitely has a certain unique vibe to it.

On the acting front I was paying more attention to the way characters moved, which is part of the overall appeal of the presentation. The voice acting itself, sadly, isn't as good and Mazy is dead on with his analysis above. Still, I actually like the story. At least it is something different, even if we've seen QTE before. This will be the first game that is essentially all QTE? Kinda takes some balls of Sony to try something like this... :banjo:

Exactly. That's one of the things I love about certain PS3 titles, and one of the motives that make me a proud PS3 owner, some titles at least try something inovative, or just simply diferent, instead of commercial hits (Aka cash cows) like some of the xbox games.

games like Flower, Afrika, The Eye of Judgment, comes to mind. Sure, some of them suck, but at least they're trying...

":1ktargx0]Exactly. That's one of the things I love about certain PS3 titles, and one of the motives that make me a proud PS3 owner, some titles at least try something inovative, or just simply diferent, instead of commercial hits (Aka cash cows) like some of the xbox games.

games like Flower, Afrika, The Eye of Judgment, comes to mind. Sure, some of them suck, but at least they're trying...

agreed.

Demons souls is probably my favourite game of this generation.

Well whatever it was I really enjoyed the demo.

The character animation was surreal, and I hate to say it but I actually kind of liked the QTE method. I noticed that unlike god of war I could watch what was happening rather than just focus on looking at the button icons.

Still not sold on holding down R2 to move forward though. I wonder what the argument behind that is.

Still not sold on holding down R2 to move forward though. I wonder what the argument behind that is.

I haven't played it, but from the videos it seems the left analog stick is used in QTE's. If you have to be quick in certain cases with that stick and you already have your fingers on it it may be unfair. Using one of the shoulder buttons frees up the rest of the pad at any one time.