Sign in to follow this  
Minos

Mexico fights swine flu with 'pandemic potential'

I love the paranoid people.

They told us in the Army that one guy was in the hospital for Meningitis, told us the symptoms etc. and suddenly everyone felt ill for a while. The guy was cleared for everything and voila, not a single person felt ill.

Not knowing the symptoms really helps, cause if you think you are sick, your body acts sick.

heh my brother was hanging out with friends once and one of them photographed his cigarette's smoke which turned out to look like a ghost in the photo. They showed the photo to a religious guy and he suddenly started to feel really sick, saying he was feeling evil energies flowing around and shit like that. The funny part is that he claimed the "ghost" in the photo looked like the virgin Mary and actually called a priest to make prayers at the place of the "sighting" haha

I think the panic is way over the top at least for the western world. From what i know so far its not more deadly then the normal flu that we get every year and this one never made us freak out in panic even before yearly vaccines became common. Sure its possibly deadly under unfortunate circumstances and having the flu fucking sucks but it would be nothing that i haven't experienced a couple of times already in my life. I think at least in the west we are also better prepared medicaly and physically then lets say 1918. Remember WW1 was still going and the "healthy young" people who died like flies actualy were a bit underfed and had often no access to a healthy diet. The second and third world however, yea they are much more fucked in a pandemic due to bad hygienic situations, lack of healthcare, underfeeding etc.

From what I understand the Spanish flu would have killed its young victims regardless of diet, because ironically enough it was strong immune systems it affected the most due to causing an insane reaction where the immune system basically killed itself. Those of us in the western world with strong immune systems would probably be at the most risk of all to something like the Spanish flu.

It was pretty much a crazily deadly flu, which is why if there's any chance of something similar reappearing (nothing has since the 1910s AFAIK) we should very much be scared shitless and take whatever precautions possible to prevent it.

The whole frenzy about the swine flu is because it has the potential to mutate into a Spanish flu-esque virus, right? I've not been following it too closely.

Actualy you are right about the spanish flu. However last thing i have read about the swine flu is that the symptoms are that of a typical or mild influenza. The actual death toll is also way lower then news papers reported at the beginning of the outbreak.

Even if it killed half the population of the world everyone would get over it at some point. Probably would be the catalyst for a lot of good movies too :D!

People started wearing masks on the subway (NYC) so yesterday I broke out into coughing fits with my friend. After, we would have polite conversation about how we feel more sick than ever...a different kind of sick...we couldn't define it but it must be like what someone feels like when they're gravely ill. Then we would laugh it off and resume conversation.

people are exaggerating the threat this thing can do. it's less dangerous than a regular influenza. the concern should still be on the bird flu as that one has the potential to go pandemic. so sayeth the WHO.

On 4/25/2009 at 1:09 PM, kleinluka said:

its just the media trying to scare people....OMG IT CANT BE CONTAINED !!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

i'm sure in 2 months nobody will talk about it anymore

aaayyyyeee

On 5/1/2009 at 3:08 PM, Duff-e said:

Even if it killed half the population of the world everyone would get over it at some point. Probably would be the catalyst for a lot of good movies too :D!

Ah so for you the cup is half full