Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser

KungFuSquirrel

LOL @ all the boycotters playing the game, fucking weaklings, it was obvious they'd be playing it on release...

I can sympathize with them, the people most willing to join a protest group and be the most vocal were probably the people who wanted to play the game itself the most, and hearing that a game they really wanted was gonna be gimped crushed them. When MW2 was released though, people started saying the issues weren't as bad as previously claimed, it was at least playable, and omg the campaign's so epic! Of course people are gonna cave in.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if I take a look at this comparison video http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-ps ... fare/58992 , and how phenomenlol it looks and runs on old hardware like the 360/ps3, it could have run a lot better.

At least the PC versions does black! Game footage, especially PS3, is always strangely washed out in these web hit generators accurate comparison tests.

Yeah... I'm with DUX on this... What. The. Fuck ?

Anyways.. finished the single player;

As mentioned before, the detail is fantastic, every section shines massively, IW have put a load of work into this, so it's no wonder it's a short game, like the first game short but very very sweet (although it's a little longer than the first, which was about 8 hours long.. this was around 10). Only the very beginning in Afghanistan felt like filler material (I didn't see any point to that section) but that's a mild criticism and it was very well put together. The best section for me was the Gulag because not only was it well designed but it felt like you were actually walking through an old soviet prison, with broken down walls, graffiti and communist propaganda littering the walls.

Finding Price the way you do is a nice touch too, it was obvious he wasn't dead, especially since two trailers showed him from behind

. Obviously the sections that were the most fun were the

America Vs Russia on Western soil

parts, especially the first assault outside the

White House and Washington monument

, ever since I heard about World In Conflict I thought it would be a much much better game if it were FPS rather than RTS, and this game fullfills those wishes perfectly.

There were some odd blemishes in the mix though, like the aforementioned Lego Jesus statue in Rio, I don't know why that was changed when the earlier footage showed a perfectly repicated version. I noticed a Russian High Voltage sign in the DC bunker, a quick texture edit would have solved that, not a big deal but breaks the immersion somewhat.

Took me awhile to get used to climbing the rock face with the mouse buttons, I kept holding down the wrong side or letting go of the side that was imbedded into the ice... fail :P

Now... the major crits...

So much of the storyline is all over the place and everything seems like it was thrown together. The infamous airport level is supposed to make you feel angry at Makarov for killing all those innocent people and make you feel really determined to ultimately bring him down right?

So why is it that you never actually get to kill him? I mean... the only time you hear about him is in "No Russian" and a short radio conversation between him and Price towards the end... that's it!

I mean forgive me if I've accidentally hit a trigger which activates a secondary ending instead of another (please tell me if that's the case), but from the 4th scenario I was under the impression that the final showdown would involve

killing Makarov and not Shepherd... don't get me wrong, the way that plays out at the end is nothing short of superb but after that I was expecting to go and kick Makarov's ass in the final missions but no... once we've reached Nikolai's helicopter... it's end credits. I was left feeling very annoyed by that, like I'd been cheated out of a satisfying final. I guess that will happen in MW3 but then that ultimately makes the airport level pointless... you want to bring this evil man down... but you don't.

Also as a earlier predicted,

Ghost is indeed Gaz with a facemask, no mistaking Mr Craig Fairbrass's voice. So why does everyone keep calling him Ghost all the time? Anyway, having played COD4 again prior to MW2, Zakaev clearly shoots Gaz point blank range in the face.. so I don't know how he could have suvived that

Finally, why the Hell does

Russia invade America?! I mean.. so they indentify the body of a dead CIA agent and somehow determine that the CIA set the whole thing up and that the US should burn... what? Totally OTT and unrealistic, Russia wouldn't just blindly attack the US like that because of one dead CIA agent, they'd have talks and try and find out what has happened, they must first deliberate that there's an explanation for him being there and although Russia would crucify the US for it's actions and damage an already touchy relationship with the west, it would be sometime before all out war would be enforced. I don't really recognise the Russian forces in the game either... the FSB I know about but I couldn't make out the markings on the invading forces, and having spent a lot of time researching Russian police and military recently I have become aware of the many different divisions and the insignia that goes with them, as far as I can see the soldiers should have had the same badge with the Russian flag on that the FSB had, only with "Вооружё́нные Си́лы" instead of "MBд".

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this as I usually do but I think that these things need to add up in order to immersed in the action more. No complaints about the gameplay of course, which ultimately distracts from the shallow and rediculous plot.. perhaps that's the idea? But then, why even bother with such a storyline? COD4's storyline was kind of believable and made sense... but this.. just a mess.

Game of the year? Naaaah.

Nice to hear Lance Henrikssen in a video game, and Kevin McKidd does an excellent job for Soap :)

It worked good on my rig on 1680x1050, everything "on" or high/extra, without AA, but chugged really badly at

EMP in Washington scene were so many airplanes are falling.

But if I take a look at this comparison video http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-ps ... fare/58992 , and how phenomenlol it looks and runs on old hardware like the 360/ps3, it could have run a lot better.

Even with the res discrepancy.

Rig is q6600 @2.4ghz, 2gb,8800gt

yeah mine chugged like FUCK when that was going on too - I run at 1920x1200 with everythign set to max, and I even turned off the AA when ti started to shit, and it made no difference. I guess either the PC version wasn't optimised for that section, or there is some crazy cpu-heavy stuff going on in the background. What it may have been is the texture streaming, I noticed that every time there was an obvious "we're streaming out the old stuff and streaming in new stuff" section in a level it really chugged for a few seconds.

loading times are massively improved over the first one so I don't mind the odd slow down if it means I get into the level sooner.

gameplay-wise, there's a few moments where you really get reminded it's still a game, like infinitely respawning enemies until you reach a trigger; which is really disappointing because the game can seem incredibly hard but just running through like a rambo-retard makes it so much easier, it goes against the characters you are playing as to just run around like a madman.

I really enjoyed the levels after the

big twist

, they were very well done and really brought the game to a climatic end. Although (this isn't really a spoiler as you should have seen it coming) cliffhangers are getting pretty fucking old, especially when you have to wait 2 years for the next "episode". I would like some real closure; although IW did a goob job of balancing a semblance of closure whilst keeping it open for the next installment, but do you really need concern yourself about people looking forward to the next game? Really? You know it's going to sell like a mother fucker so just give us closure :)

anyway, composite and any other eye-dubs here please pass on the compliments to your colleagues for a very good campaign, one of the best in video game history I would say, and remember to buy some cakes on my behalf. I promise I will reimburse you. at some point in the future.

this is not a guarantee, offer subject to availability.

ps. didn't activision buy IW for 5mil? rofl at that investment, Kotick may be satan but god damn he made some good business decisions, by luck or possibly just his involvement with the dark arts.

Yshallow and rediculous plot

got to respectfully disagree with just about everything;

the airport scene is used to set up the betrayal by shepard and provoke the war between the US and russia. if you watch the loading-screen movie before the first or second mission it shows that zakhaev, rather than being seen as a terrorist has been hailed as "a hero for the new russia" - and again this is 5 years after the events of mw1, so any number of things could have happened to strain relationships between the two nations. also this is in a fictional universe so the same rules don't have to apply, allowing IW the artistic license to create these situations you end up with fantastic things like the invasion of the US, and fighting through the whitehouse. the real world is not a video game, and vice versa; nobody complained about demons in the centre of mars in doom3, and nobody called out the aliens in crysis. so the same goes here - we're not teaching history as an industry, we're providing entertainment. just be thankful there's no godawful computer terminology as seen in shows like 24 and so on (open me up a socket, just zoom in on that 16x16 pixel image and clean it up so we can make out that number plate etc).

anyway, shepard has hired makarov to commit the atrocity in order to in order to get a blank check from the secretary of defence, and also to incite a conflict that won't be forgotten, or not cared about. he says himself that "30,000 of his men died (the nuke/conflict in mw1 i presume) and nobody batted an eyelid", this time they won't be able to ignore it. he is obviously a very bitter man and willing to do anything. he is the real villain, makarov is just a bit player who works for money, sure killing him would have given you a sense of revenge for the deaths of the civilians, but he isn't the one responsible for the overall conflict, shepard is, which is why you kill him. which is also why makarov gives you the location of shepards base in afghanistan.

i also felt the final scene where you knife that fucker in the face is wonderfully done. my only complaint is that it feels like IW only tried to one-up themselves on the first mw's ending, instead of perhaps trying somethign new. it felt like what treyarch did with waw, they just copied what mw1 did and changed things slightly, following almost the same pacing and mission structure as IW did with mw1. whereas a little innovation would go along way. that is not to say that the ending didn't give you a great feeling of "fuck yeah!".

as for the russian insgnia and so on, i'm not really sure that matters in the slightest, they're russians, you're killing them. i didn't stop to gawk at their bodies looking for technical mishaps. besides which this is in a fictional universe so you can give IW a license to make changes and deviate from our world.

a russian sign in DC? well fuck it, the russians were setting up strongholds in various locations, you'll notice they have ammo caches and all sorts of shit where they've dug in, it's not a big leap to imagine that they put up a sign to warn their boys not to get fried by a million volts; and even so, a sign doesn't ruin my immersion much; these kind of complaints remind me of the testers that put up "urgent" bugs like "this type of moss doesn't grow on these rocks, or this tree only has brown leaves during the month of september, but the level clearly takes place in october", shit like that is trivial and isn't on the same level of immersion breaking as say, getting stuck in between some wooden planks and the terrain, or not being able to walk over a sheet of corrugated metal because the collision is being a bitch (which both happened to me in rio - get your priorities straight QA! ;D).

the lego jesus stature, i google it and yes, the mw2 version is decidely blocky, and it acts as such a huge landmark for the level that it looks very odd at times. I am guessing it has something to do with making sure all the detail is spent in the playable levels rather than wasting resources on things that you will not focus on for more than a second or two. there's a number of buildings that have what looks like 256x256 or even 128x128 textures on them, and they're barely outside the playable area; but then you look at the beautiful composition of the playable areas and you forget about it, because frankly i wish more companies would focus their time and effort on the things that matter, rather than wasting it on things that don't in actual fact have any bearing on your experience.

Thanks for clearing up the plot Rick, I had completely missed some of those things, the game goes at such a breakneck speed that you miss things easily if you're not 100% focused and sometimes the dialogue overlapped because I'd triggered a setpiece whilst another was still playing out and I was too busy fighting people to see the subtitles below. I still think the plot is OTT but meh, it makes a little more sense now.

Also I've found 10/45 intel laptops.. where the fuck are you others? :cry: