Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser

I've seen the footage and I'll sum up my thoughts in one word;

No.

To elaborate (I'm blacking all of this because putting spoiler tags in each part is a headache)...

This is not a good thing at all, I couldn't honestly believe that one minute you walk into an airport with near enough 20 civilians at the gates and then you just gun them down... wtf? Before anyone starts going "Oh yeah, this is no different from GTA" or whatever, well yes actually it is. In the GTA games, you can choose to goto an airport and kill innocent civilians with a machinegun but you don't have to, there's no objective for you to do that. In this, your objective is clearly to mow down civilians, I felt a little sick watching it tbh, the constant screams in the background make for a harrowing setup.

There's being a bit daring and then there's this... playing as a soldier in a war, you're pitted against enemies that would pose a threat and not to mention a challenge. This is pointless, you're firing at and raining grenades on people who cannot possibly defend themselves, there's no way you can fail to do this level, just let rip with guns and kill all the civilians in sight. Yeah you've got to fight the Spetsnaz outside (it's a Russian airport), but that's irrelevant. Games are supposed to be challenging, where's the challenge here? Games are supposed to be fun, where's the fun here? It's one thing to be a bit daring and contraversial, I respect IW for trying to do something different but this a bit much imho, there's a moral highground where the line should not be crossed and this steps over that.

My 2 $.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Composite said, I think everyone should take a breather here and try and see this level inside the game. You have no idea what goes on before or after this, or even the identity of the person you're playing as, so there may be some light to shed on the whole thing still.

I'm going to withhold my opinion on that scene until I see if it can be changed by my actions, for example by shooting my teammates, in ways that don't just result in MISSION FAILED.

Meanwhile, Australians sure aren't withholding THEIR opinions!

"Expecting game designers to be responsible by not glorifying terrorism will always lead to disappointment." - South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/g ... -hmey.html

You fucking terrorist glorifiers, Infinity Ward :lol:

Also it's nice to see that the Australian ratings board is keeping consistent with its ban of L4D2, mentioning that at least MW2 doesn't let you harm dead people which is why it's not +18. :v

Gotta agree with a comment I read on Slashdot:

It is called Modern Warfare. Terrorism is a very big part of modern warfare. Terrorists that know you'll do anything to avoid civilian casualties pretty much have you under their thumb. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the campaign involves making some hard decisions like getting a few civilians killed while taking out a pack of terrorists.

People need to quit saying they want a "realistic" game, but just remove all the real stuff that we don't exactly like. No, you want realism, here it is. deal with it.

I wanna see this scene in context with the rest of the plot. I'm ok with it. I trust IW's got something worthwhile cooking here.

As Composite said, I think everyone should take a breather here and try and see this level inside the game. You have no idea what goes on before or after this, or even the identity of the person you're playing as, so there may be some light to shed on the whole thing still.

The description of the video on liveleak said that you are an undercover CIA agent operating within that terrorist group.

Activision statement:

"The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold-bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player's mission to stop them."

"Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can't be disabled."

"Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic gameplay that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older." (The BBFC 18 rating in the UK is the equivalent of M for Mature in the US.)

[uPDATE2] Activision US has now issued the following statement. "The leaked footage was taken from a copy of game that was obtained illegally and is not representative of the overall gameplay experience in Modern Warfare 2. "

"Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 features a deep and gripping storyline in which players face off against a terrorist threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse. The game includes a plot involving a mission carried out by a Russian villain who wants to trigger a global war. In order to defeat him, the player infiltrates his inner circle. The scene is designed to evoke the atrocities of terrorism. "

"At the beginning of the game, players encounter a mandatory 'checkpoint' in which they are warned that an upcoming segment may contain disturbing elements and they can choose not to engage in the gameplay that involves this scene. Consistent with its content, the game has been given an "M" for Mature by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. The rating is prominently displayed on the front and back of the packaging, as well as in all advertising."

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6238205.html

Does anyone who wants a realistic game play Call of Duty though?

Yeah let's be honest, COD is about as realistic as Tetris, regenerating health throws realism out the door straight away. COD is about a semi-authentic cinematic experience with relentless combat. If this sort of scene were to be carried out in say Arma II then it would work a lot better, considering how much that title relies on realism (and at one point in the game

Civilians are executed and hung by terrorist militia and mass graves are found

). I just don't think it fits in here nor is there any need for it in general, it would be better to make it a first person cutscene where the player doesn't control what happens. In respect to Composite and the rest of IW, we'll have to play the game to see what the context this appears in. I was thinking again about it last night, considering IW's reputation and cult following I doubt they would risk that by doing something so radical without there being a good reason for it. In addition, being able to skip the scene means that those that would feel wrong playing it can just simply look over it. I'll admit like many of you, I'll play the scene to see what happens if I don't open fire or shoot my "comrades".