Sign in to follow this  
the0rthopaedicsurgeon

l4d_yama

Light setting is good but you need some wet ground. Now it kind of looks like you could easily dodge all the drops of rain if you'd try. Needs more rain for a storm, and things need to be WET

the0rthopaedicsurgeon: by the way, for those japanese city levels i think it'd work really well if you'd make some signs hanging over the streets (given there's not a lot or no vertical gameplay). it'll create some chaos with (if you do it well) very few extra polys

Sweet! 3rd shot is killer!

I agree with Daano tho, I think you can work a lot with some overlays/decals with puddles, but also play around with env-cubemapped grounds, roof plates etc. With ground plates like that you can alter "height" a bit and make some plates almost totally flat in the normal + add white spec to simulate those being pushed down a bit, hence totally/partly under water. Usually larger pave stones can be a bit concave, thus forming a puddle towards the middle.

Anyway nice job so far, looking forward to more!

still going, i decided to add a whole new section before the temple like the real life place it's based on, which means lots of new props and textures. i think the lighting looks ok in the temple parts but in this area it just looks off somehow, so it might still change. some of the floors do have spec maps now, but building cubemaps in l4d is too tedious so they're not showing.

i also learned a trick from RDR to add some more detail to the roofs.

temple01.jpg

temple04.jpg

temple06.jpg

temple03.jpg

temple02.jpg

temple05.jpg