Resident Evil 5

Grinwhrl

Alright so lets talk about this game. For one, I wasn't even going to buy it, after disliking the demo, seeing way to much media hype and the dlc BS heatup, all turned me off.

Well, I ended up getting it anyway since I love RE and its story and cannot bare to miss out. So I am pretty far in the game, playing co-op with my friend. I have to say I got every penny worth! I think the game is fantastic so far! Much more enjoyable then Resident Evil 4. I was also very skeptical about the rail shooter implementation, but it turned out similar to Gears of War for example only much better in my opinion. Story ties are coming together and the visuals have been outstanding.

There are a few things I could nitpick about, like door loading animations have been removed being one of them; but I've been far to impressed by the majority I just don't care. I still miss my zombies though :P

Comments from others who have played?

Been playing it for about 5-6 hours, not terribly impressed with what I've played so far. In fact I've found myself borderline bored a lot of the time. It almost seems that you have to play it in co-op to get anything decent out of it, because in single-player (which I'm playing it like) the partner just feels annoying and outta place.

I hope it'll get better, but its definitely not as good as RE4. Even if times and standards have changed since 2005 then that game felt a lot better overall.

Been playing it for about 5-6 hours, not terribly impressed with what I've played so far. In fact I've found myself borderline bored a lot of the time. It almost seems that you have to play it in co-op to get anything decent out of it, because in single-player (which I'm playing it like) the partner just feels annoying and outta place.

I hope it'll get better, but its definitely not as good as RE4. Even if times and standards have changed since 2005 then that game felt a lot better overall.

yeah the game is only good if you play it co-op, just like Halo 3 and Gears are not fun unless you play co-op.

Game looks amazing, not sure how it plays.

I saw a video of the ending though, Wesker turning into a monster again and falling into molten lava, most cliche thing I ever did see, the dialogue made me cringe I almost needed a facelift

. Probably not gonna bother playing it, was never really taken with RE4.

Really enjoyed the start, the AI for Sheva was pretty good and it was fun running around and shooting things. Lots of people complained about the aiming system being too old-school (can't move with your gun up), but I kind of liked the pace. I've heard it's not too fun to play with random people, as they will just rush through the game, but I had no such intention anyway. The last half of the game wasn't quite so fun as Sheva got her self killed, repeatedly. She would not cooperate during the boss fights, she would sit their whining for ammo with a thousand bullets on the floor, she has no idea how to take cover for the shooting sections, she would run off by herself into rooms filled with enemies and I’d only realise when she started calling for help as she’s about to die again.

I just stopped playing it and I doubt I’ll go back to it. I got to the final fight and was running around not sure what I’ve got to do for a good 15 minutes. I checked the Internet for the solution, for what must be the first time ever, and it turns out there’s no trick to it: you just shoot. But I was out of ammo and clearly did not enter the checkpoint with enough either. I assumed, wrongly, that I could pop back to an earlier chapter to get some supplies and continue, since there was a global inventory and a few ambiguous quit dialogues (plus the Internet guide recommended this). It auto-saved as soon as the chapter started and now I need to do chapter 6 all over again. Which is a sequence of annoying arenas and boss fights that don’t really work interspersed with QTE. I don’t think I could stomach it.

Turns out there's a versus multiplayer addon DLC. I imagine, in true Capcom style, it's on the disk but you have to pay to activate it.

Really enjoyed the start, the AI for Sheva was pretty good and it was fun running around and shooting things. Lots of people complained about the aiming system being too old-school (can't move with your gun up), but I kind of liked the pace. I've heard it's not too fun to play with random people, as they will just rush through the game, but I had no such intention anyway. The last half of the game wasn't quite so fun as Sheva got her self killed, repeatedly. She would not cooperate during the boss fights, she would sit their whining for ammo with a thousand bullets on the floor, she has no idea how to take cover for the shooting sections, she would run off by herself into rooms filled with enemies and I’d only realise when she started calling for help as she’s about to die again.

I just stopped playing it and I doubt I’ll go back to it. I got to the final fight and was running around not sure what I’ve got to do for a good 15 minutes. I checked the Internet for the solution, for what must be the first time ever, and it turns out there’s no trick to it: you just shoot. But I was out of ammo and clearly did not enter the checkpoint with enough either. I assumed, wrongly, that I could pop back to an earlier chapter to get some supplies and continue, since there was a global inventory and a few ambiguous quit dialogues (plus the Internet guide recommended this). It auto-saved as soon as the chapter started and now I need to do chapter 6 all over again. Which is a sequence of annoying arenas and boss fights that don’t really work interspersed with QTE. I don’t think I could stomach it.

Turns out there's a versus multiplayer addon DLC. I imagine, in true Capcom style, it's on the disk but you have to pay to activate it.

You should find a friend to play co-op with. :P

I know people with it but none of them were online, to be honest there’s so much instant-kill stuff on the last level I’m not sure I’d like to play it with someone else.

I found out I only had to do 6-3 again, I thought I had to do the whole chapter, so minus points to me for not paying attention. Sheva got killed by the instant-kill insects and then wasted every rocket in the hangar fight so I had to suicide, but other than that it went okay. Had a ton of ammo going into the last boss fight, and conveniently saved some money to upgrade my weapons capacity so I could restock. I still ran out and had to kill him with my knife - I didn't realise the

"shoot me here" point switched sides

but I'm not blaming myself for that. Honestly, it was pretty good overall but the latter half just caused me some frustration, there's nothing more irritating as a player than to fail when it's not your fault.

I got it and beat it yesterday (Picked it up noon-ish launch day and beat it about 2 am) with a couple breaks in between it took me and a buddy playing split screen about 11 hours to beat). Overall I think it was worth it. It played very much like RE4, although I wish it had more quicktime events, I remember in RE4 u couldn't even set the controller down in fear of needing it. Mercenaries is as fun as ever and the ability to play it with a friend made it even more fun! I kind of wish the final few boss fights were a bit more clear as to what needed to be done, We failed so many times before we could figure it out...

As for the partner AI eating ammo

You can unlock unlimited ammo for any weapon it seems by fully upgrading it and playing a second playthru of the campaign. Works great if you played coop first. Now Sheva just uses the starter pistol fully upgraded and never whines about ammo

:)

Starting to dig this a little more. Was a little put off by the co-op AI at first, but it's sorta nice to relive RE4, if in a broken and disjointed way. The fuck is with the inventory system? Totally seems like they forgot about the merchant and opted for this lame ass menu based buy/upgrade system. Kinda takes you outta the game a bit too much and limits you unnecessarily throughout missions. I can't move shit on the fly, really? Just seems like an odd move for a game that didn't seem to want to stray too far from RE4's path...

Just beat the game playing co-op with my buddy. Great boss battles, challenging scenarios and around 11-12 hours of gameplay. It was a really good wrap up to this side of the series. The camera work capcom put into the game was incredible in cut scenes.

On the dislike side of the game; yes they could have defiantly done a bit more with the last few levels of the game. Everything started to feel less like the really awesome stuff from the beginning levels. It was still good, but more or less the same rehash of a lot of things. The overall sound ambiance was weak as shit in the game, if there was even any. Anything that once made RE creepy was pretty much gone. Besides bosses, there was a lack of monster variety throughout the game. I expected more monster types.

Overall it was worth the money and was pretty damn good. The co-op added alot to the game, and I hope they continue with it.

• 4 months later...

Capcom today announced that the PC version of Resident Evil 5 will hit the store shelves on September 15, 2009 in North America and September 18th in Europe

Here's a Resident Evil 5 benchmark to test how well the action horror will run on your PC.

Owners of Nvidia 3D Vision glasses can also check out the stereoscopic enhancements.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_48548.shtml

i tried it, and it runs pretty great! day 1, been waiting for this to come to PC.