Nubblecakes

Fk_Pipedream

pd1.jpg

pd2.jpg

pd3.jpg

pd4.jpg

pd5.jpg

pd6.jpg

So basically, I got really bored, and felt like making a little map for knifing people in, and I came up with this piece.

I tried to make a style similar to Mirrors Edge, which is pretty much done with the textures. All the textures in this map are custom, even the props (they're reskins). The reskins are have to be downloaded and installed separately in order to function right, but that means they'll show up in any map that has the models in it. It's up to you really, but the map looks better with them applied.

The textures are simply matte, plain colors that use detail normalmaps to give the texture depth and such. Valve did the same thing with a couple of episode 2 textures that were used in the silo maps (Crows Nest chapter). Pretty much EVERY texture has a normalmap applied to it.

Download map:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/75691

Download reskins:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ymbqyzvjnky

I'm diggin that you made something unique, but its too much clash of color and it just doesnt fit together well. You've also used too much yellow with the strong yellow pipes and the sunlight, it all just melted together and became pukey (for a lack of a better word).

Hard to judge the playabilty by the shots tho, you might've aced that part for all I know.

Overall I think you could do a lot better with some better lighting :)

I thank you for the constructive criticism. I got very similar feedback over at Interlopers.

The map wasn't a serious project, however I won't use that as an excuse for its flaws. I was just free-mapping and not taking a lot into consideration as I was making this. I might remake it with some more accurate (and detailed) textures. My biggest focus is the color contrast and everything--making sure the colors compliment each other.

However I do have a mod idea incorporating this style of mapping that I wish to pursue. I just need to work on all the textures I'll need to do it. Hopefully I can get the Mirror's Edge theme well in the mod.

I like the materials, but the level construction (even without the rocks) is really busy. I don't know what to look at. Simplify the composition. You're still building it as if you were using regular old HL2 concrete textures.

Personally, I like the colours, I think they work very well together. I also enjoy the funky pipework.

What really doesn麓t fit in this room are the rocks in my view...

I think this is the most valid point so far, it's the one thing that stood out to me as well. Upon checking out the screens for some time, my mind just couldn't become accustomed to those rocks. Also, because the area is highly developed, it seems odd that there would be natural rock indoors.

I must say though, I looked at the screenshots and immediately thought Mirror's Edge. Well done. I've also contemplated stuffing around with that style.

Nice, but:

- floor/rock texture fights here

- that noise looks weird

:>

I see...

The rocks must go!!! And I might just make this a novelty piece and leave out the gameplay. It's REALLY unfortunate that none of my maps will compile in the OB engine and run in ep2 without crashing, I can't figure out why, but it's probably because of some weird bug that I never found out how to fix.

I might just do a sloped wall that the water runs down, kind of like that one part in Mirrors Edge where you slide down that really long water slope. I want to try and create a really nice-looking waterfall texture that has refracting properties. I can code it but the problem lies with getting it to render right on a brush.

I also might get rid of the volumetric lighting and make the light coming in a lot paler. Either that or just block it off.